Wedding Woes
Options

You gave the dog a better life than they could.

Dear Prudence,
Three years ago my husband and I visited a friend’s house for dinner. They had two dogs, one of which had bitten the other in a fight. The injured dog was in another room because he had a raging infection and was on the verge of dying. They knew they couldn’t keep both dogs and offered us the nearly-dead one. For some reason we accepted and worked hard to heal him and fell madly in love with him. We do everything to give him a ridiculously pampered life. We buy him expensive, healthy food and get him regular checkups at the vet. The former owners love to see him and frequently say we give him a far superior life. They also frequently mention he is very fat. When we got him he was much smaller because he was so ill, and now he is a happy older dog. We feed him treats and run, play and walk him every day. It really annoys me that they frequently mention that when he lived with them they never let him get so fat. He’s nearly 12! The vet says he is a perfect size. I want to yell at them, “When you had him he was much slimmer but also nearly dead!” Should I stop this immediately next time or should I just get over it?

—Off Death’s Door

Re: You gave the dog a better life than they could.

• Options
    They're ridiculous, but this is not something to get worked up over. They're terrible pet owners, you're not, move on. 
  • Options
    While I'd be tempted in a moment of annoyance- I hate shitty pet owners- to respond like the LW wants to respond, I think that if she wants to maintain the friendship she should go the route of "The vet says" as short and sassy suggested.

If that doesn't shut down the stupid remarks then go for the nuclear option, lol.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    It tickles me that someone would write to an advice columnist over this. OH MY GOD IT'S A DOG.

If the vet says the dog is healthy, end of story. If they have a good relationship with these people, why get so worked up over benign comments about a dog? The dog will be gone in a few years and they either want to keep a good relationship with these people or they don't. Think long term here, LW.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

It tickles me that someone would write to an advice columnist over this. OH MY GOD IT'S A DOG.

If the vet says the dog is healthy, end of story. If they have a good relationship with these people, why get so worked up over benign comments about a dog? The dog will be gone in a few years and they either want to keep a good relationship with these people or they don't. Think long term here, LW.

True!  But it does get nettling and annoying.

Totally different scenario, but same idea.  I had an ex-b/f whose mom got really, really into jogging when I was dating him.  At least once a week, she'd tell me, "Jenny!  You really should take up jogging.  I just love it."  To which I would respond positively that she liked it so much, but it was my least favorite activity and I preferred my exercise tapes.

She was a passive-aggressive person who loved a good "back-handed" compliment.  The first couple times she suggested jogging, I do think her heart was in the right place.  But, after that, she'd make her suggestion with a smug, smirky look on her face.  It was just yet another one of her little games.

I never gave her the satisfaction.  I would answer her the exact same way.  With a smile and a perky tone.  As if I'd never heard the suggestion before.

Wedding Countdown Ticker