Wedding Etiquette Forum

Paper plates for dessert - tacky?

2»

Re: Paper plates for dessert - tacky?

• edited June 2017

scribe95 said:

But paper all the same. Good luck with that.

I made it clear I am considering hard plastic. You should probably actually read my posts before you criticise. Would make you look less silly.

I love you get so nasty with people after you get answers you don't like.

She didn't give me an answer I didn't like. She was just very rude. Show me the answer I didn't like?  I can disagree, not the same thing as disliking an answer. Yeah I think good food is better than amazing plates. Not everyone has to have the same priorities for a wedding. Nothing wrong with that. Also, I am considering plastic plates. Anything within budget is good with me.

• edited June 2017

So, you asked for honest opinions, people gave them. Many said it would be weird/tacky/odd to go from China for to paper/plastic for dessert. 

Then you say you're not interested in China dessert plates because they're too expensive to rent and pay staff to rewash/restock. Okay. More solid bamboo also too expensive. Fine. 

I guess I just wonder what you're looking for? You asked for opinions then were unhappy/disagreed with the responses? 

Im glad you're considering alternatives that were suggested but it just seems an odd choice to ask if something is tacky then get surprised/disagree when some people say, "yeah I think it is and here's why". 

Most people here have budgets. Many have very small budgets. No one is saying you can't have a budget. It just seems like you want big things (dessert bar where people can take multiple trips) without the equipment/supplies that make that possible. 

I didn't give one response that was negative about people finding it tacky, and most people didn't say it was tacky anyway. I never actually expressed an opinion about whether people thought it was tacky. If you can pinpoint a single point where I disagreed with people saying 'it's tacky, here's why' I would be grateful. Again this seems to be attributing something to an OP that they didn't actually say.

Said I thought bamboo might be expensive, but said I would look into it. The only opinion I disagreed with is serving basic cake which I am not going to do because not a huge wedding cake fan. 

Said I will look into alternatives mentioned so not sure how I was disagreeing with everyone. Also don't think I have an issue with supplies just trying to look for a cost effective option. If i can't find one, I may have to use China. But with so many hard plastic plates available, don't think I'll need too. I think I have made it pretty clear I like the hard plastic idea. But I'll look around. Also never said I couldn't afford real plates, just looking for something cheaper. 

• We are using sugar cane heavy duty plates that are compostable for desert. They are being provided by our caterer. They look nice and hold up well with food, have tried them.

Never heard of sugar cane one. Will look at that one.
  • Oh FFS, the plastic dessert plates from Sam's are $12 for 110 plates, just get those, and DONE...  This really is not a hill to die on!
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

MesmrEwe said:

Oh FFS, the plastic dessert plates from Sam's are $12 for 110 plates, just get those, and DONE...  This really is not a hill to die on!

Chinet is awesome!  Those puppies can hold up all sorts of heavy and hearty foods!  Costco sells them in bulk as well and they are pennies a plate.  They have pretty alternatives, too.
    https://www.mychinet.com/

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

MobKaz said:

MesmrEwe said:

Oh FFS, the plastic dessert plates from Sam's are $12 for 110 plates, just get those, and DONE...  This really is not a hill to die on!

Chinet is awesome!  Those puppies can hold up all sorts of heavy and hearty foods!  Costco sells them in bulk as well and they are pennies a plate.  They have pretty alternatives, too.
    https://www.mychinet.com/

I second (or third) that the Chinet paper plates hold up really well. I have bought (from the grocery store) dinner plates, dessert plates and bowls in Chinet paper for really large parties (I only have dinnerware for 12) and they hold up great for anything- meat cut with knives, sauces, hot food.
  • I don't think she has the option of Walmart or Costco in Great Britain.
  • edited June 2017

geebee908 said:

I don't think she has the option of Walmart or Costco in Great Britain.

We have Costco in the UK. I have never seen Chinet before, but I will have a look.