Wedding Woes

Yes, you were ghosted

Dear Prudence,
Last year, a cousin contacted me out of the blue while I was doing genealogical research. We exchanged addresses, emails, pictures, and documents, helping me to break down the brick wall I’d run into and trace our family all the way back. I eagerly told my family about this new cousin, and they were excited to see the family pictures she sent. I suggested that we get together so we could exchange stories and she could meet everyone. She replied and suggested to try this summer. I sent emails trying to coordinate time, place (she lives in another state), and whose hometown. No reply. A few months ago, all communication stopped. I sent her emails asking if she was OK, what was going on, and if she still wanted to keep communicating. Silence. I’ve never had this experience before in meeting new relatives, only to have them disappear. Was I “ghosted” by a relative?

—Suddenly Abandoned

Re: Yes, you were ghosted

• It sounds like LW overwhelmed the cousin with trying to get the WHOLE FAMILY to meet.  Cousin may have wanted to start a little at a time.  But yes, LW was ghosted.
  • Yes ghosted.
    I think it's almost a worse feeling when it's family.
  • Too much, too soon? She probably ghosted, don't reach out again and if she ever does reply proceed slowly. 
  • Yeah, the LW needs to let this go.  It may not even be anything he/she did.  People ghost for all kinds of reasons, including just having too much going on in their own life.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel she was overwhelmed by everything. Yes you were ghosted. I am sorry that this happened to you.  
  • I feel she was overwhelmed by everything. Yes you were ghosted. I am sorry that this happened to you.  
    Just in case you are not aware, these posts are from Dear Prudie letters, OP didn't actually write this. It took me time to figure that out when I was new too. People like to post them and comment on them.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    justsie said:
    I feel she was overwhelmed by everything. Yes you were ghosted. I am sorry that this happened to you.  
    Just in case you are not aware, these posts are from Dear Prudie letters, OP didn't actually write this. It took me time to figure that out when I was new too. People like to post them and comment on them.
    But I LOVE it when people think the poster is the one with the problems.  It warms my cold, dead heart.  :D  
    Oh, @mrsconn23, you would be such a lost cause if all these letters were about you, lol!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker