Wedding Etiquette Forum

Envelopes (XP)

Hello! 

It's almost time to send the invitation! 

Question, can I address the invitation the The Smith Family? I'm planning on inviting the parents and their children. I know you should address the invitation to the parents and put everyone's name on the inner envelope, but I don't have an inner envelope. I also read that everyone over 18 should get their own invitation, their kids are not under 18 but I don't want to waste extra invitation as they all live in the same house. 

How should I address the invitation? 

Thanks for any feedback! Have a great day :) 

Answers

• Put the adults on the first line and list the children on a second line under their parents. 
  • edited August 2017
    Hello! 

It's almost time to send the invitation! 

Question, can I address the invitation the The Smith Family? I'm planning on inviting the parents and their children. I know you should address the invitation to the parents and put everyone's name on the inner envelope, but I don't have an inner envelope. I also read that everyone over 18 should get their own invitation, their kids are not under 18 but I don't want to waste extra invitation as they all live in the same house. 

How should I address the invitation? 

Thanks for any feedback! Have a great day :) 
    If you're using outer and inner envelopes:

Outer:
    Mr. and Mrs. John and Emily Jones
    Inner:
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    Master William and Miss Emma (age order)

If you're only using an outer envelope (if only using outer, I'm assuming the wedding isn't super formal, so omit "master" and "miss"):
    Mr. and Mrs. John and Emily Jones
    William Jones
    Emma Jones

ETA: I missed the part where the kids are over 18 years old. The advice above is only for families with children UNDER 18. Proper etiquette is that anyone over 18 gets their own invitation - no matter where they live. Sorry if that costs you a few dollars more, OP - that's the cost of being polite and hosting a wedding.
    *********************************************************************************

• Technically, yes, everyone over 18 should get their own invite. HOWEVER, I have a few adult cousins living with their parents, and I knew their families would think I lost my mind if I sent four invitations to the same dang house. I did have a couple other adult cousins who were in the process of moving out of their parents' house, so I sent them their own.

I put the parents on one line, and the children below them (like southernbelle said above), each on their own line. It looked slightly crowded on the envelope, but made more sense than sending everyone their own. We only did outer envelopes too.
  • I'd reeeeeally do separate invites.
    How many adult children are we talking about? Because you'll also need to make it clear that their significant others, if they have them, are invited too.
    That might end up being a lot of name on that one invite.
    And you do want to put the names so they don't think, "Well uncle Charlie is visiting us that weekend... but I guess he's family so he'll just come with us!"

Also you're more likely to get prompt and correct RSVPs if you send out separate invites. If it's all on one they are going to have to wrangle everyone's schedules and it's just more messy.

Treat adults like adults. It's worth the extra $10 or whatever.