Wedding Woes
Options

Monday?

How was the weekend?

Friday night, I had big plans to go shopping...But I was just cooked when I got off work.  So I put it off. 

Saturday, DH's aunt came over for breakfast since she didn't make it for dinner Thursday night.  She wanted to talk politics before coffee.  I was finishing breakfast before she showed up.  I ate quickly and ran out the door for the shopping I didn't do Friday.  

After I got home, we got ready to go my friend's parent's house.  They live on a small lake.  We swam and boated.  We tried to watch the meteor shower, but we only saw about 3 and then were all too tired/drunk to continue (LOL).   

Yesterday, we did more swimming and boating.  We got home and DH mowed the lawn.  I did some dishes and laundry.  The rest of the night was GoT and getting ready for the week.  

Re: Monday?

• Options
    @mrsconn23, ha! Love that you escaped the breakfast too!

Friday we saw Annabelle and if you have the chance to do "Completely Captivating" - GO!  it was worth the extra $5 each for H and I.  I got shivers down my spine from it.  shivers.  Also - no one talked. I almost felt like i was eating popcorn to loudly.  After the movie we stopped by for some dessert at Nando's and then went home and H crashed from working all day.

Saturday we went out for breakfast and stopped by at a farmers market.  I hate overpaying for produce but I hope it tastes good, at least?  Then we went to a county fair with some friends and her 7 month old and man is she adorable (still don't have baby fever though)!  I got super irritated with my H though.  It took him, NO JOKE, 2 hours to get ready.  It takes me 30 minutes with shower, make up, dressed and all!  Granted, I don't have to shave but how long does that take? Men!

• Options
    I am not ready to Monday.  I had a two hour appointment at 8:30 and I chose the snooze button over coffee, it was rough to say the least!

Weekend was fun.  Drank too much, slept too little, had a blast!  We have my cousins wedding this Friday that I'm super excited for.  It's our first wedding as a married couple and I feel like that matters for some reason, and we get to  hang out with my fam, which I always love.  Plus we may have found a last minute cabin for next weekend.  Win-win!

@mrsconn23 I didn't even know there was a meteor shower, that sounds awesome!

@charmedpam I love farmers market produce- I always feel like it's cheaper and lasts longer.  But I now live in a very SAHM area so the markets around me are always during weekdays - which is dumb.
  • Options
    Politics before coffee @mrsconn23? That's insane. 

I'm off to a four day training in Albany with my supervisor. I'm driving and it's a four-ish hour drive. She's great, but that's a lot of together time. 

Werkend was good, low key, saw some friends and ate some good. Pretty much all we do these days. 
  • Options
    I am not ready to Monday.  I had a two hour appointment at 8:30 and I chose the snooze button over coffee, it was rough to say the least!

Weekend was fun.  Drank too much, slept too little, had a blast!  We have my cousins wedding this Friday that I'm super excited for.  It's our first wedding as a married couple and I feel like that matters for some reason, and we get to  hang out with my fam, which I always love.  Plus we may have found a last minute cabin for next weekend.  Win-win!

@mrsconn23 I didn't even know there was a meteor shower, that sounds awesome!

@charmedpam I love farmers market produce- I always feel like it's cheaper and lasts longer.  But I now live in a very SAHM area so the markets around me are always during weekdays - which is dumb.
    last longer will be great even though I have plans for it Tue and Wed already LOL.  But no - definitely not cheaper around here.  At least not the tiny one near me!  I actually do like aldi produce but i forget to go there.  I don't normally buy veggies.  shame on me, I know!  I love homechef.  

• Options

We had a chill weekend as well.  Friday night was a bunch of nothing.

Saturday we went up north to visit friends for the day.  Her mom has a pool, so we hung at her house.  DD had her first bit of swimming, but she didn't really care for it!  It had been cloudy the past week, so the solar water heater wasn't working to capacity, so the pool was a bit chilly.  But we had delicious food and good conversation!  It was great to see all the kids running around and having fun!  Everyone kept saying how great DD was and she's so quiet that they forgot she was there.

Sunday comes and DD is a crank pot pretty much all day long.  It was like she saved the crankiness for when we were home!  But we got out to Target early to buy school supplies for the church's drive.  Then church and then we stayed in mostly.  DD took too semi-long (for her!) naps, but she was just so cranky.  I really think it must be teething.  H got out to visit his friend with the staph infection, he is finally home after being in the hospital for over a week.  He also met their new granddaughter.  He ended up staying longer than expected but that was because the baby fell asleep on H and she hasn't been sleeping well, so he stayed until she woke back up.

This will be a busy week for us.  Tonight I'm going to try and hit up yoga.  But I also have Buffett on Thursday and I want to do one more night of yoga, but we will see!

• Options
    @mrsconn23  politics in general is never a necessary convo ... before coffee is stupid. Lucky you for bailing ;)

@CharmedPam  I don't think we have that option in our theaters, what is it?

@kimmiinthemitten  saw your photo of the tatt, love :) 

@charlotte989875  That's a long ride with a supervisor lol! Good luck :)

Friday I basically went home and fell asleep for a bit. I've just been so tired.
    M ended up going fishing and I finished the rest of the centerpieces for the wedding in Sept. I had to finish because I was bringing them to the shower the next day.

Saturday I went to my mum's around 11:30am. Shower was good. A few people didn't show. One person was the bride's SIL and she was to bring something. Bride was irked because the reasoning was that she was going to her friend's daughter's 18th bday .... uhm?
    Whatever.

The lady I was irked with was there early helping out. I was glad. She seemed nice and I chatted a bit with her, but it was a total bitch eating crackers kinda deal ... urg!

Left my mum's at like 12:30am because my mum, M and my mum's friend and I ended up chatting :')

Sunday woke up with a headache.  Went for breakfast, got some wood for M to work on the work bench. I tried to nap but it didn't work, so I basically loaded myself with tylenol and eventually showered. It's all neck tension, so I know I'm sleeping funny. I'll probably change pillows to try and help that.

Tonight M might finish parts of the work bench and I think we're gonna move stuff out of the garage. Slowly cleaning garage and basement as stuff gets done.
    I've also decided that we're leaving the garbage can and blue box recycling on the outside of the garage or in the backyard for a bit. I'm gonna spray some cleaner in there to make sure anything gross gets cleared up.
  • Options
    Spent the weekend relaxing and cleaning/organizing my home office/scrapbooking room. I share the room with H and his side is still a mess (oh well)! Pulled something in my lower back/shoulder during the cleaning and now am writing this while lying flat on my back. Had to call in sick for work as I tried to sit up and it was like volts of electricity running through my body. Barely made it to the bathroom and that is like 10 steps from my bed. Couldn't imagine running around the ED all day.
  • Options

@mrsconn23, I'm also cracking up that you still managed to escape the aunt's visit.  You're a sneaky one ;).

I didn't do anything all weekend.  Though, on Sunday, I was really sick.  Headache and feeling a bit nauseous.  Clammy and running a temp for a few hours.  Not sure what was going on there.  I finally started feeling better Sunday night and feel just fine today.

The farmer's markets where I live are pretty meh.  I only know of two and they are both pretty small.  A lot of hassle to get to and not worth it, imo.  One of them is only on Thursdays at a weird time.  Like 3PM-6PM.  So I'd have to fly like a banshee out of hell to get there from getting off work at 5PM.  And arrive 20 minutes before they close.

The other one is only on Saturdays, but it is in the downtown area, ie no free parking.  I think it is more for the super rich people who live in fancy warehouse loft apartments around there, so nothing is cheap. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

direct from the webpage:
    powerful images and sound technologies combine with cutting edge, reserved recliners to transform each show into a completely captivating cinematic event.

Sounds like a waste of money but it wasn't.  Sometimes I felt like I was right in the house with them. Speakers were all over the walls and ceiling, and the chairs vibrated (but not the annoying 4dbox shake you everywhere type of deal).

• Options

direct from the webpage:
    powerful images and sound technologies combine with cutting edge, reserved recliners to transform each show into a completely captivating cinematic event.

Sounds like a waste of money but it wasn't.  Sometimes I felt like I was right in the house with them. Speakers were all over the walls and ceiling, and the chairs vibrated (but not the annoying 4dbox shake you everywhere type of deal).
    Intense!! Makes me think of a ride at Disney that was like you were in a race car lol!
    Our theaters recently all got recline chairs and one has the "choose your own drink" I'm not sure about the speakers.
  • Options
    Had an awesome surprise bday party for DD's 30th, she loved Little Mermaid and had several mermaid parties as a child. I went with a more grown up version, and she loved it!

Annoyed though with people that RSVP yes and don't show up. Number wise it was fine, I had actually worried it was going to be to many people and she wouldn't be able to talk as much to some people I knew she was going to be excited to see. Had about 50 there, which was nice. But, 4 families of 4 didn't show (one had legit excuse, others didn't contact at all) also some singles, a total of about 20 people. This made me have way to much food, I always over do because I'm scared I won't have enough - guess we are having BBQ and sweets all week, lol.
  • Options
    Weekend was low key. Tried a new brunch place, saw Dunkirk, did some yardwork... Dunkirk was okay.  I used to be a WWII buff, but even still, I really felt like I lacked a lot of fundamental knowledge that was needed to enjoy the movie. Even from the opening scene, I felt like I'd just been dropped into the middle of the film and could never quite get a feel for the root of the story. DH loved it, though, so that's good.

I'm away on travel this week, but opted to maintain my morning routine of getting up at 4am to walk the dogs instead of sleeping in before I had to leave. Before we even got to the end of the driveway, Hiccup snapped her leash when she went charging after a stick she thought was a critter.  So I got to chase a black dog down a pitch dark street.  That was loads of fun. Twiggy snapped his leash a couple of weeks ago, so we're on a roll here.  And then a neighbor's teeny tiny solar powered driveway lights freaked me all the way out because in the beam of my headlamp, they looked like eyes. Eyes which winked. 

Started rereading the HP books for the first time in almost a decade, and even after all this time, HPatPoA is still above and beyond my favorite book in the series.

Always.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    @ernursej Feel better.  Back pain is the worst

@holyguacamole79 Welcome back.  Our year round schools went back today too, but the rest of us are still off until the end of August.  

We just got a farmers market in my community, but I haven't been to visit it yet.  I love the produce there.  Everything just tastes more vibrant, but I never shop for groceries on a random summer weeknight.  Especially now that most grocery stores here offer online shopping and free delivery to your car.  I shop from home instead.  

We went to a new aerial park in the city this weekend.  It was super fun, although this morning, I feel everything in my forearms and back.  I think today will be leg day for a workout instead.  

• Options

@ernursej feel better soon.  I'm just starting to get relief from 10+ years of backpain.  It's no fun!

@atomicblonde our dog hasn't gotten out 4 times in the past 4 days.  Today it was because my MIL put him in the side yard where the hole in the fence is despite my specific instruction to leave him in the pool area.  GRRRRR!!!!!

As a 9-5er, weekday Farmer Markets seem strange to me.  Are there enough shoppers to make it worthwhile? 

Today we decided on a daycare for our son.  We toured a few.  The one on Friday did not sit well with me when I saw an employee yank a toddler up by her arm to pick her up.  I grabbed my son and ran out of there so fast.  Today's was awesome, he starts Thursday.  He'll go 2 days a week.  I know he needs to socialization, but I also know I'm going to cry like a baby.  He is with family the other 3 days.  We had a nanny at the house who unexpectedly needs surgery and said she can't lift for at least a month so she's done.  On the plus side, daycare is less than half what we paid the nanny!!

• Options
    My newest pet peeve (ok ok this was ALWAYS a pet peeve of mine).  Coworker A and Coworker B talking about a program feature, and pretty loudly I may add, but they usually are.  Coworker C overhears this, leaves her office and butts in when it has completely nothing to do with her and oh yeah - can't even work this program to begin with (I can but I keep my mouth shut until someone asks me about something).   She just likes to stick her nose into things.

I have two of those here.  One's on STD medical leave though.

• Options
    My newest pet peeve (ok ok this was ALWAYS a pet peeve of mine).  Coworker A and Coworker B talking about a program feature, and pretty loudly I may add, but they usually are.  Coworker C overhears this, leaves her office and butts in when it has completely nothing to do with her and oh yeah - can't even work this program to begin with (I can but I keep my mouth shut until someone asks me about something).   She just likes to stick her nose into things.

I have two of those here.  One's on STD medical leave though.
    I'm having a hard time thinking the difference between "Sexually Transmitted Disease" and "Save the Date" or if there's something else lol
  • Options
    lol actually sexually transmitted disease medical leave DOES make sense...in this case it's short term disability medical leave though.  haha!

• Options
    lol actually sexually transmitted disease medical leave DOES make sense...in this case it's short term disability medical leave though.  haha!
    Hence my question lmao
  • Options
    apparently it's really easy to get std medical leave around my office and so far 2 people (who don't work here anymore.....) have abused the system for it.  The one who's taking it for surgery actually does need it but last year around Christmas she told coworker C she was planning to quit and then this year she's like, taking 3 months off with pay (good way to escape?)

• Options
    apparently it's really easy to get std medical leave around my office and so far 2 people (who don't work here anymore.....) have abused the system for it.  The one who's taking it for surgery actually does need it but last year around Christmas she told coworker C she was planning to quit and then this year she's like, taking 3 months off with pay (good way to escape?)

My work has an "in house" short-short term medical leave.  I was "on it" once.  If you use up all your sick time before the year is over, any further sick time you take is given to you at 60%.  You either get 60% of your salary or you can use 40% vacation time to make up the difference.  I thought it was a pretty great system.  Though it is more meant for a day or two, here and there.

They do also have STD and LTD (after 6 months) insurance for anyone who is going to be out for longer than one consecutive week.

I assume STD/LTD require beaucoup doctor's notes.  Because I'd think it is the insurance company who makes those determinations.  Not necessarily employers.  But, I've never and hopefully never will go through it, so I'm not totally sure.

Not counting maternity, which falls under STD, I've had two coworkers at a former job go on that.  Though, yikes!, it was very legit reasons.  One of them broke some ribs in a car accident and was out for 2 months.  The other one developed breast cancer.  She was out of work for a few months and then went on half days for about 6 months while she was going through chemotherapy.  Tough woman to even work half days! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We go to a farmer's market on Saturday morning but there are other ones during the week from like 4-7. They all have pretty much the same vendors so I'm guessing that is why weekday ones exist.

Pretty good weekend. Went to Chicago for An American In Paris. @CharmedPam we loved it! The dancing was spectacular. I'm a sucker for tap dancing. The leading lady was beautiful and an awesome dancer. The leading man was actually an understudy/matinee performer but OMG was he wonderful. We went for sushi at a restaurant DD and SIL have been wanting to try. It was very good. Came back early yesterday because DD was going to a friend's house for brunch.

Today I've been running around to get stuff ready for some rooms to be painted this week then to pack for our trip. Our ice maker in our NEW fridge is not working properly so I'm waiting to hear from the service people after a part arrives. Hope they give me enough notice since I have appointments scheduled all week. I hate waiting on appliance service!
  • Options

Today I've been running around to get stuff ready for some rooms to be painted this week then to pack for our trip. Our ice maker in our NEW fridge is not working properly so I'm waiting to hear from the service people after a part arrives. Hope they give me enough notice since I have appointments scheduled all week. I hate waiting on appliance service!

I had a brand new dishwasher, from Home Depot, installed a few years ago.  Didn't work at all on the very first run.  We have a good friend who is a plumber and he took a look for us.  He told us the part that wasn't working.  We looked it up online and verified it.  HD forced us to use them as the "go between".  It took two weeks before anyone finally came to see it.  We had said over and over again for the repair guy to please bring X part, explained about our plumber and research.  But we were pooh-poohed.

Repair guy spends 10-15 minutes.  Yep.  X part is defective.  He didn't have X part, but would return one week later with it.  So...THREE weeks later...our BRAND NEW dishwasher finally worked.

The door dispensers, like for ice/water, are the worst on fridges.  Ours broke after only 18 months and we just never bothered trying to replace it.  The actual ice maker still works fine, though.

Good luck with your ordeal.  I do not envy you.  I don't know why appliance service is so awful, but it indeed is.

That's also why I won't get one of those "home warranties".  I've heard horror stories of major delays to get anything fixed.  They will also keep bandaging things together, instead of replacing.  They don't care if you have to call to get your fridge fixed every month.  Because you're paying $75 for each call.  No way am I dealing with that kind of headache.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I had a brand new dishwasher, from Home Depot, installed a few years ago.  Didn't work at all on the very first run.  We have a good friend who is a plumber and he took a look for us.  He told us the part that wasn't working.  We looked it up online and verified it.  HD forced us to use them as the "go between".  It took two weeks before anyone finally came to see it.  We had said over and over again for the repair guy to please bring X part, explained about our plumber and research.  But we were pooh-poohed.

Repair guy spends 10-15 minutes.  Yep.  X part is defective.  He didn't have X part, but would return one week later with it.  So...THREE weeks later...our BRAND NEW dishwasher finally worked.

The door dispensers, like for ice/water, are the worst on fridges.  Ours broke after only 18 months and we just never bothered trying to replace it.  The actual ice maker still works fine, though.

Good luck with your ordeal.  I do not envy you.  I don't know why appliance service is so awful, but it indeed is.

That's also why I won't get one of those "home warranties".  I've heard horror stories of major delays to get anything fixed.  They will also keep bandaging things together, instead of replacing.  They don't care if you have to call to get your fridge fixed every month.  Because you're paying $75 for each call.  No way am I dealing with that kind of headache.

We've never had a problem with the door dispensers in our fridges. This is a Samsung and after we bought it, I found out their ice makers have constant issues to the point where they will refund the purchase price. I hope that doesn't happen to us. I love the fridge other than the stupid ice maker - I drink A LOT of ice water. Seriously, how long have ice makers been in existence? This shouldn't be an issue. Since it is still under warranty, we won't have to pay for the service call.
  • Options
    Hi WW! 

Dealt with a stomach bug all weekend. I originally thought it was food poisoning on Friday, but then I started running a fever. I slept most of the weekend except for picking up Housemate #1 from the airport.

Poor FW is dealing with a cracked tooth and a head cold, so her trip to LA is not as much fun as she'd hoped. She might cut short her stay in LA, skip Portland, and come home.

@pegasuskat, the mermaid tea party sounds like a lot of fun. Shame about the rude guests, though.
  • Options
    Successfully made it to Albany and learned my supervisor loves wine and salty snacks. Feeling so much better about the week. 
    Speaking of salty snacks. Do you like parmesan cheese? If so, look at Costco for "Whisps" They're delish, salty and cheese! :)