Wedding Woes
Options

FriYay!

Finally back home! Training was long and exhausting and H is leaving tonight for his camp. But he went grocery shopping for me last night and cleaned the house. No plans for the weekend but relaxing. What's everyone up to?

Re: FriYay!

• Options
    @charlotte989875  yay for being back :) did you have fun at least?

Not sure what's up for this weekend. Suppose to rain tonight and tomorrow, so might just use this as lazy time.
    Tomorrow evening we're going to a buddy's place for poker. Idk how long I'll stay, I've been pretty tired.

Sunday is work bench and backyard day. It's suppose to be nice, so we wanna get shit done. I'm just overturning some dirt, possibly trimming some plants and taking out regrowth of a stupid plant by our gas meter. We cut it down at the end of June, but apparently didn't take out all the roots because it grew back.
    M's dad suggested putting salt down where it is to kill the root. I'm probably going to do that, because I really don't want it back. It could hinder something but also it's just useless.

I'm hoping it'll be dry enough on Sunday for M to do weed whacking. I think I'll see if we can move bbq out to do behind. Ragweed is growing, so I really can't do it.

Otherwise, nada.

SSDD at work. I'm alone and finished early, so idk how much I'll get done today lmfao
  • Options
    Happy Friday!

The weather looks pretty craptacular but I'm going to see family members this afternoon.

Tomorrow if the weather holds we'll have a beach morning with my kids and my cousin's kids.   

Sunday I'm off to see John Mayer in concert and then Monday is the start of a 3 day work week before Chiquita and I head to the airport! 
  • Options
    Side note: since there's gonna be a My Little Pony movie coming, I've decided to do a makeup series about the ponies. I've had 2 pony requests and I'm doing AppleJack this weekend, and I'm pretty excited. :) I hope it turns out how I'm planning it!
  • Options
    I'm just sleeping tonight. Work has been so busy this week. No major plans for Saturday as of yet. Probably running a few errands and swing by to see my niece. She's so cute and getting big.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    I got decent sleep last night after unexpected and very, very good BCBC (like, "Yup, we still got it after all this time." ;) ).   
    Hahaha! Love it ;)
  • Options
    Love is in the air, and I'm a big mush ball.  H's cousin got engaged yesterday and my cousin gets married tonight!  I'm so excited for both of them.

Work pissed me off pretty bad yesterday, I actually got in trouble for not answering my phone on my day off.  Apparently boss's questions>my time off.  I've been waffling on jobs because I do love my company and coworkers, but that's the straw.  I reached out through some back channels to inquire about other jobs within our sister companies.  Ideally, I can move companies for a few years, and when the job I want opens back up, and I can come back with new experience.

Tomorrow I'm working all day.  I have Gatorade (no penis drink @levioosa) and I'll run out for alka seltzer....I have some Benadryl too.  I'm going to try it all!  The good thing is the party should be crazy, which will help.
  • Options
    I'm just sleeping tonight. Work has been so busy this week. No major plans for Saturday as of yet. Probably running a few errands and swing by to see my niece. She's so cute and getting big.
    I was thinking about you and her the other day.  :)  You must have had a spidey sense, LOL.   How old is she now?  Have fun, auntie NOLA.  
  • Options
    All the painting should be finished today. I love the new colors and the new hardware for our master bath. Also waiting for refrigerator guy again today. The part came in so while I have to be here for painters, I might as well be waiting for him. We will be cleaning (oh the dust bunnies!) and putting furniture back tonight, tomorrow and Sunday.Tomorrow bridal shower for a friend's son and fiance. Sunday bookclub.
    @kimmiinthemitten I get so excited about engagements (and babies) too! Good luck with the job search.
    @MissKittyDanger, I've heard of using salt too - you just won't be able to plant anything there for a little while until the salt leaches out of the soil.
  • Options
    @ILoveBeachMusic  I don't plan on adding anything there, so right now it's a 'test' area. If it works, some spots that aren't getting new stones will get salt. We have a super small yard, and right now it's all weeds :(
  • Options

Eh not so much. It was a lot of training, some useful, some pointless, and some that directly contradicted established research that was frustrating to sit through. But my supervisor is cool and we had some good food and drinks so it wasn't all bad. 
  • Options
    @kimmiinthemitten  yay engagement! :)

@NOLABridesmaid  yay niece :)
  • Options

Eh not so much. It was a lot of training, some useful, some pointless, and some that directly contradicted established research that was frustrating to sit through. But my supervisor is cool and we had some good food and drinks so it wasn't all bad. 
    best part! :)
  • Options
    @misskittydanger, I like to think I'm up on the uppity in movies - had no idea there was a my little pony movie coming out!  For nostalgia purposes I may see that.  On 1/2 off night.
    @mrsconn23, woohoo! 
    Today's a good day get married @kimmiinthemitten - it's my parents' 44th wedding anniversary!  I shot an email to my brother and sister asking if we should start planning something big for their 45th.  Like get a cabin for the long weekend maybe.  I suggested a cruise but I don't think that's happening 3 months after we all go on one anyway.

Our office was supposed to get those solar eclipse glasses in today - but for some reason they didn't ship.  No one likes my solution to it:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vWMf5rYDgpc

Hopefully, if DH can get off work in time, we have tickets to go ghost hunting one hour away from him tomorrow.  Stupid work MAY interfere with that too.  I hate it.  And I don't know if they offer refunds so we could be out $104.00 too!  Seriously, hate hate hate his job and his hours. He can get called any time for work, and work on his "days off" which is why I booked it.

• Options
    @CharmedPam  It's released in October. Google says the 5th but also says Germany, so idk.
    I'm not a MLP fan, but a few people on my fb are {friends and kids alike} so figured take advantage of that :)
  • Options

It's been a busy and annoying week at work.  I'm just glad for the weekend.

I actually have a lot going on today and this weekend.  Though most of it falls more in the "errands" category, lol.

• Check my direct deposit for p/t job and pay 'cc bill
    • Cash my paycheck and finish this month's payment for my HELOC.  Take the rest in cash for upcoming Chicago trip.
    • Write disposition of security deposit letter/invoice and then take to post office and send it certified.
    • Pick up lunch.  Not sure where.

Two showings this evening for our rental.  Both of them, for once, sound potentially decent.  One of them is driving in from Ft. Worth and turned in their applications ahead of time, so I could already have their references checked.  If they like it, they literally want to move right in.   Though, I can't help but suspect there might be a few LL's they said that to.  Call me jaded, but I don't believe anything until there is money in my hand and an executed lease ready to be filed.  But I'm really hopeful it will work out, because I hate having a vacancy.

------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of potential vacancies.  This is an odd, odd turn of events.  I have a tenant on Section 8 (housing assistance).  Every year, S8 participants have their finances/income/needs reviewed by the agency and their voucher is adjusted accordingly.  Usually not by much, either up or down.  My rent always stays the same, it's just a matter of how much S8 gives me with the remainder coming from the tenant.

I just got the letter yesterday and there is a huge change this time.  She's been living in the house for 7 years (I've owned it for about 2 years).  Her portion of rent has always been either nothing or less than 10%.  Starting in Oct., she will be responsible for about 75% of it!?!?   I'm going to call her case worker today and see if I can get to the bottom of what is happening.

I looked up her family under my account and one of her kids is old enough to have dropped off, though they are still living there.  I could see that being part of it, but not the majority of it.  Unless that daughter has a f/t job and is brining more income into the household.  It's all puzzling.

While I hope the change is related to better circumstances for her, obviously I'm SUPER concerned about her ability to pay the rent.  Or, even if she can, her attitude about it.  People who have been living almost rent free for years are typically not happy for that situation to end.

I'm also going to call her on Saturday or Monday, but want to talk to the caseworker first.  Basically, I just want to get a feel for her thoughts on if she is planning to stay or not.

Although bad timing for me, if she does leave by the end of Sept., I'm actually going to fix the house up a bit and probably put it up for sale.  In some ways, that would also be a pretty awesome turn of events.  So that thought is mollifying me a bit.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy  hopefully your 2 people work out!
    That's a crazy change with your S8! Unless she got a new job that's better pay?
  • Options
    @short+sassy  hopefully your 2 people work out!
    That's a crazy change with your S8! Unless she got a new job that's better pay?

Thanks, me too!  It would be nice to get one big item off my worry list.

That's possible with my S8 person.  She's only worked a p/t job since I've owned the house.  It could very well be that she got a f/t job and/or her oldest daughter has a f/t job also.  That would be a definite change in circumstance I could see warranting such a radical change.

It also briefly ran through my head that maybe it was from cutbacks or worries about cutback to these programs, ala Trump policies.  But I have another S8 tenant who just went through this process about one month ago.  She didn't have to pay any portion of rent over the last year and it was determined that she still does not have to for the coming year.  Since hers didn't change at all, I don't think it's that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy, very intuitive to talk to the caseworker first.  Hopefully it's just a pay raise or employment change?  good luck with your showings.

• Options
    I'm going to have to work hard this weekend to get the apartment finally arranged and put together.  But I really want to get 90% of our storage unit cleaned out and maybe into a smaller one, art up on the walls, and the bed built and put together.  I also need to get the Pride post accounting finished.  K is on her way to burlesque bootcamp and will be home late Sunday.  So, tonight I'm going to put my feet up and watch John Wick 2 finally, with some wine.  And figure out how to sleep alone again.  :D
  • Options

The concert was great last night!  I had my 2 beers and I feel fine today! LOL!  Jimmy Buffett ended the show with Bob Marley's One Love and a message of love and tolerance.  Amos Lee was also there and sang on Margaritaville.  Jimmy then had his break and Amos Lee & guitarist Mac MacAnally did Simon & Garfunkel's An American Tune.  It was beautiful, only downside was that Amos' microphone didn't seem right as you could barely hear his voice, unless it was just our position on the lawn.

Tonight is yoga with my niece.  She has fall ball starting and my sister is worried she might re-injure her knee since she hasn't done much activity in a few months.  So she will come with me and perhaps continue on my Saturday mornings, if she likes it.

Not much is going on this weekend.  H needs to change the oil in the car, but he hurt his back and probably won't be able to do it.  We are having dinner with his family on Sunday at Olive Garden.  Hopefully, it won't end up with us getting kicked out of the restaurant again!

Did we hear about this one? I thought when you were there - you were like family!  Then again, some people kick out family members...

I do love me some OG though.

• Options
    @CharmedPan - yes I told this story.  We went out for pizza at a local place.  MIL supposedly had secured a weeknight pizza price for a Saturday night.  We ordered according to what MIL said.  Next thing we knew, there was a huge bill above the groupon she had and she started arguing with the manager.  Who then threw us out.  BIL/SIL had already left prior to the argument starting and it was just H & I with MIL/BF.  MIL wouldn't tip the waitress (after she ran around refilling drinks like crazy) and I only had $2, which I gave to her in supreme apologies.  MIL tried trashing the place on the way out and I had to yell at her to just leave.  That is the short version.  The whole thing was ridiculous because it was MILs fault, she just refused to see it.  Who expects to get a weeknight special on a Saturday night AND use a groupon too! 
  • Options
    @OliveOilsMom  I don't remember this situation! Your MIL sounds like she is/was a piece of work! Poor server.
    Here's hoping this time will be better :)
  • Options
    @oliveoilsMom, actually I do remember this one I think! who knows. My memory sucks.  Well good luck at not getting the boot at this place :) 

• Options
    @oliveoilsMom, actually I do remember this one I think! who knows. My memory sucks.  Well good luck at not getting the boot at this place :) 

Haha, once I heard the story again, I vaguely remember it also.  I've never been kicked out of a restaurant...but I have stormed out, on occasion.  Never without paying my bill...even if it was under protest.  And, as long as the server was not a party to the maddening experience (though they often are), I will also leave them a tip.

As a previous server myself, I remember one awful time for a big family group.  There were over 15+ people at a big table.  Lots of kids and a couple babies.  And their food was taking forever.  And forever.  I kept going back to the manager who wouldn't give me a straight answer about what was going on.

I'm trying to do as much damage control as I can, but there is only so much drink refills, crackers, and bread can do!  At one point, I told the manager, "You need to go talk to these people, because they are pissed and should be."  The manager finally did, RIGHT as their food was coming up.  They'd been waiting about 45 minutes at this point.

The manager ended up boxing everything up to go for them, because they just wanted to leave, and they weren't charged for anything.  But the "head" customer I'd been relaying the information to the most, pulled me aside.  He gave me a $10 bill, told me he knew it wasn't my fault, and thanked me for doing my best to help them.

I still remember that because he was so kind and understanding in a bad situation, when he really didn't have to be.  It definitely made a positive impression on me that I try to carry forward when I'm in a similar situation.      

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Work today. So far it's not the shit show that it was yesterday. I hate judgy night shift nurses. They come on all rested, my patient's been trying to die all day, and family had been there and calling, and the doctors have questions, I have to run to blood bank, procedures, etc, and then I get attitude because like two things weren't done. Then they gave me attitude about a pain med and I had it. Pt has a terminal illness, is on chemo, and has a lot of other things wrong. Just give the patient the fucking pain meds. And then I came in this morning and they had turned the pain meds off. I was so upset. "The patient isn't exhibiting pain symptoms." Um, look at the disease process. And as someone who has been in excruciating pain before, but too weak to respond, I can say first hand that sometimes the pain scale tool is crap. Sorry. Rant over. 

So, work today and on Sunday. Not too much else happening this weekend. My dad might come over to help us work on the house though. And I plan on having a glass of wine at some point.