Wedding Woes

How to plan for a potential postponement?

edited September 2017 in Wedding Woes
Taken Down

Re: How to plan for a potential postponement?

• If he wants to follow this tradition, don't send save the dates and send invites 8 weeks out if you think it will happen. But know in doing so you're prioritizing his cultural concerns over you wanting people to actually come. Are you sure?
  • If he wants to follow this tradition, don't send save the dates and send invites 8 weeks out if you think it will happen. But know in doing so you're prioritizing his cultural concerns over you wanting people to actually come. Are you sure?
    If none of HIS family will come because of the mourning period it's basically 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Pushing forth a wedding against the wishes of your in laws is a bad foot to start a marriage on IMO
  • You cannot decide anything on this until you speak with your FI and he speaks with his family, both about the mourning period and about his grandfather's prognosis ("failing health" can mean a lot of different things). American/Western mourning traditions have certainly changed over the years, so it is possible that other cultures' traditions have as well. Don't automatically assume. 

I understand the discomfort with bringing up this subject during a difficult time for FI and his family. However, the way I see it, you aren't just asking about this for the sake of planning logistics. You are also asking in order to respect his family; after all, you don't want to move ahead with planning and then none of them can attend! While I think your FI needs to be the one to bring up this issue with his family, it is a conversation that needs to happen.

• Is this a Chinese-American family, or a family in China?  I think it makes a big difference.  Many Chinese-American families have become used to western culture and will be understanding.  (My daughter married a man from a Chinese family.)
    This is up to your FI to negotiate.  In a Chinese family, the oldest male relative will make any decisions like this.  He needs to do this ASAP.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg