Wedding Woes
Options

Bonus: "Are we still going to this event together?"

Dear Jane,

There’s this girl I met at work. We became friends, then she found another job.

After she left, she made me promise we would still hang out. I said, sure, we will... And then each hang out will end up further and further from the last one. She was affronted I said that, but I’ve done this merry-go-round enough to be honest with myself that work was the only thing we really had in common. But I figured I’d humor her. What could it hurt?

So, we hung out weekly... For a while. Over the course of a year and a half, just like I predicted, those hangouts stopped happening so frequently. And texts take her days/weeks to respond.

All of this was/is totally fine with me. I don’t want to force someone to be my friend or anything and it feels like that’s all I’ve been doing for the past few months.

Except when still in the super duper BFF phase, we made plans. Plans I purchased tickets for. And she was going to pay me back through food and driving us to the event. And it’s coming up soon.

I don’t know how to politely ask if she still intends on going... And more to the point, how do I let her know that I kind of don’t even want to go with her because how awkward would that be when we haven’t seen or have even really spoken to each other since May or June?

I thought about just telling her I have to resell them ‘cause I’m broke and I could make double what I paid for on them. And that is true, and is definitely the polite option, but it doesn’t really resolve the problem at hand.

Got any words of wisdom for me?

Re: Bonus: "Are we still going to this event together?"