Wedding Woes
Options

Wombat story

So, when DK and I were doing some (a lot of) wine tasting in Yarra Valley (and then having additional wine after we chose a favorite) - I may have gotten a bit tipsy. Which resulted in the following: 
Me: "omg, DK, I really want to cuddle a wombat. They're so cute and fluffy."
DK: "you'll never get to do that. It would probably take your face off..."

so, a few days later, we're in Tasmania, near Cradle Mountain, getting ready to go back to our cabin before our devil feeding tour. It was around 6/7pm, so not dark yet, but getting close to sunset. We're driving down the road, when all of the sudden, I spot a wombat on the hillside near the road. This is the first one we had seen on the trip, and I was REALLY excited. I yelled for DK to pull over so I could take a picture. He slams on the brakes, and I jump out of the car with my phone, and start off towards the wombat. Like 10 feet from the car, there is a stream - but that wasn't going to stop me, so I jumped over it and started climbing up the hill. The wombat seemed unconcerned, so I got closer and started talking to it. it still didn't seem to be bothered, so i asked if it was going to let me pet it, and carefully reached out and touched it's back. It went on munching on grass, so I went on petting it and talking to it. 

By this point, DK catches up with me, and is all "WTF are you doing?! It's a wild animal!!!" I knew he was totally jealous (in addition to thinking i'm insane) so i started teasing him about being too scared to pet the wombat. So he petted it too.

After I was done petting the wombat and taking pictures, I repeated the same thing about 500 ft up the road, but DK refused to get out of the car/stop again after that. (we saw at least 10 more wombats while driving back to the cabin) Party pooper. 

I later learned that wombats can actually be pretty mean (so probably not the best idea to randomly pet them).

Re: Wombat story