Massachusetts-Boston

Nondenominational church?

Hi all, I always pictured getting married in a cathedral but my fiance is not Catholic. Anyone know a classic looking nondenominational church in the Boston-Newton area? Thanks!

Re: Nondenominational church?

• Hi all, I always pictured getting married in a cathedral but my fiance is not Catholic. Anyone know a classic looking nondenominational church in the Boston-Newton area? Thanks!
    I can't help you with this specific question - nor can most people, this is an international board - but if you yourself are Catholic, you can still get married in the Catholic Church (and in a Catholic church or cathedral). There's nothing stopping you. Talk to your priest.
  • You shouldn’t choose a church for its looks. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2017
    Are you planning on continuing to practice your Catholic faith?  If so, you need to be married in a Catholic church.  Talk to your priest!

I am curious.  Why a cathedral?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Are you planning on continuing to practice your Catholic faith?  If so, you need to be married in a Catholic church.  Talk to your priest!

I am curious.  Why a cathedral?
    I could be 100% wrong, but it sounds like a church is being treated more as a pretty venue rather than a house of worship.

OP, you can marry in a cathedral, but if it is not your home parish, be prepared for the potential to shell out some big bucks. 
  • I moved this to the Boston board to hopefully get you some local feedback.

You can still get married in a Catholic church if your FI is not Catholic. Just meet with the church and get more info. My H is Catholic and I am not. We looked into it and it was a lot of hoops to jump through, but if he cared about continuing to practice the Catholic faith and partake in sacraments going forward, this is a must.
    *********************************************************************************

• Honestly, I'd be surprised if you could find a non-denominational cathedral or something similar to a cathedral. There are plenty of nondenom churches out there, but I've never heard of any in big fancy buildings like that. 
  • A cathedral is the seat of the Bishop.  Episcopalians have them, too, but won't look favorably on someone who just wants to use their building as a pretty venue.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2017
    I moved this to the Boston board to hopefully get you some local feedback.

You can still get married in a Catholic church if your FI is not Catholic. Just meet with the church and get more info. My H is Catholic and I am not. We looked into it and it was a lot of hoops to jump through, but if he cared about continuing to practice the Catholic faith and partake in sacraments going forward, this is a must.
    I'm curious to know to what "hoops" you are referring. 

My DD and her non-Catholic husband married in a full nuptial mass.  Other than fulfill the customary and typical requirements, there was nothing else additional/unusual required. 

If what you mean is that you are a non baptized person versus non Catholic, than yes, there would be additional issues/hurdles you would face.