Wedding Woes

FRIDAY!!

WAHOO!  We made it!!

What's up for the weekend?  

Tonight: Nada, besides doing stuff around the house. 
Tomorrow: Heading OOT
Sunday: Coming home and then probably starting to prep for the next week since we'll have houseguests starting Thursday. 

And a WWYD...(asking for a friend, literally):  If someone gave you a 'no strings attached' gift of about $50k, what would you do with it (besides sock some away for taxes)?

Re: FRIDAY!!

• MNNEBrideMNNEBride member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited November 2017
    WooHoo!
    Today I'm leaving work early to get my nails done.  I usually do a french manicure but think I'll get a color for next week's holiday.  Livin' on the edge!

I have a workshop all day tomorrow to get CE hours for my certification.  It's unpaid and at work, but I need the hours.

Sunday will be church, football and not sure what else.

If I received $50K, I'd pay off our credit cards and save what was left after taxes.
  • @mrsconn23, you ask like I never thought about that question?  I'd remodel. remodel. remodel.  But also take a nice trip.  Man I wish someone gave me 50k!

This weekend is low key.  Tonight dinner and a movie and then tomorrow we have some grocery shopping to do and cleaning.  Some of our friends are coming over to watch the blackhawks game and eat some apps.  Drinking will be had. 
    Sunday is CIrque Crystal.  I'm really exited about it!  I bought tickets on goldstar for less than half the asking price.  Love a good deal.  Hope the seats are good (you pick 'categories' and not actual seats, so I picked the 2nd best category which seemed decent, price wise).

• Wow @climbingwife!  That does have to be surreal.  Are you moving on to somewhere new? 

• We accomplished nothing we wanted to last night. Except ordering pizza. I wanted the garlic dip from a certain place lmao

Tonight - comedy club with M's work. Covering a/c when we're home because WE HAVE STUPID WEATHER COMING TOMORROW

Saturday - M has to get up early to at least start tires, then he's going to his grandparents place to get chest freezer. Meanwhile I'm in the basement clearing it up so he can GET IT THERE. We've been prolonging this for awhile so it's good we have to do it lol
    Then in the evening we're going to a friend's place for poker and telling mostly the rest of our friends I'm pregnant.

Sunday - there's a Santa parade but we have things to do, so we're leaving just before the road closes to head to iKea. Depending on timing, we may swing by Chapters/Starbucks. There's a bunch of xmas stuff at ikea and it'll give us time to check our baubles.

I'm toying with the idea of hanging garland around and putting our bigger ornaments {the Hallmark ones} on that instead of the tree. I'd rather tree be more simple. Plus I have zero trust that Penny won't tear shit down.

Btw who has snapchat here? I know a bunch of us have instagram, but if you wanna add me to snapchat: missktdanger {i know, super creative}
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2017
    mrsconn23 said:
    Wow @climbingwife!  That does have to be surreal.  Are you moving on to somewhere new? 

Yes! Starting in 3 weeks with a new company. I'll be the Director of Purchasing and it's coming with a nice bump in compensation! 
    congrats @climbingwife

@misskittydanger, sounds like a smart move with no tree if you have a mischievous cat!  any deco is better than no deco.   For some reason I'm all about the holidays this year.  I had NO spirit last year.

• We would pay off DH’s student loans and then take care of furnishing the house. Then either traveling or savings.

our day was chill. We met our friend at a hotel beach club for lunch and drinks. DH is currently drinking and annoying me. 

Tomorrow will be nothing. I miss football so much, even though both my teams are shit this year... I think. I haven’t been able to watch.
  • Side note I'm 11 weeks today and on the 27th is my "12 week" ultrasound :)
    {I'll be 12 weeks next friday officially}

My next prenatal we might be able to hear the heartbeat! M said he may come to that one since it's early in the morning. He apparently has questions :|

Did anyone else's spouse come to prenatal exams? M doesn't usually go but I think I mentioned about heartbeat, so I think that's majority of the reason lol
  • @CharmedPam Despite she's about 5 and not technically a kitten, Penny still acts like a kitten all the time lol It's funny but we're setting up tree, leaving it for about a week-ish, then decorating. I don't wanna risk Hallmark ornaments breaking anyways.

We have the clothes on a rack and I recently moved it to the bedroom .... we're not sure, but we think she tried to climb it this morning and it collapsed on her. At least it was time to wake up anyways lmfao
  • @lyndausvi maybe it's because you're not her kid your MIL listen to you?
    Also poor J :( and poor baby!

Yay to your mum feeling better.
  • lyndausvi said:
    Happy Friday!

We just got back yesterday from being out east.    MIL fell and hit her head, so I spent 4 hours @ urgent care with her.  She has 4 kids, 3 of which live there. I only see her twice a year for a few days each time.  Yet, I'm the only one she will listen to.   I wonder if it's because I'm just a fresh opinion?      Anyway, she checked out okay.

We saw our new niece.   So backstory.  J wanted a child because her sister  (T) had a baby.  Her baby is super chill.  Never cries, slept through the night almost right away, blah, blah.  

See where I'm going here?

Yep, new niece is the EXACT opposite.  She cries all the time.  Too be fair she has acid reflux, but is just a cranky baby in general.   Which is not unusual for such a young baby.  Because A was on the opposite side J is getting annoyed.   Motherhood isn't as easy for her has her sister.  

It's kind of funny because each baby takes after their moms.   DH was in his teens when they were born and remembers J being a difficult baby and T was super chill.        We found out last night T is pregnant again.  Interesting to see how this baby will be.

My mom is improving.  She actually looked good.   Lost a bunch of weight, got new clothes.    Her bag reversal is scheduled for late December.  If all goes well she will be able to go to be FL for 6 weeks.

Other than seeing family we did a LOT of shopping.  We bought things we didn't even know was a must have before we left.  LOL.    Granted, we live 4 hours from a mall and neither of us are big on buying clothes online.   So this was a standard twice a year shopping spree.  We will be good for another 6 months.

In other exciting news,  DH has been interviewing with the Food Network for being in a show.  We will not find out for a few months on the results.   

Hope all is well.  Have a good weekend.
    oh wow.  Wouldn't that be the case? I know my BFF's child is super laid back and chill and like laughs at you the minute you look at her.  She makes parenting look easy.  I know it's not easy!  What do they do for babies with acid reflux?  That would TOTALLY make them cranky.  It makes ME cranky!

That is exciting news for hubby!  Good luck to him.  FX it all goes well.  If it's a "baking" show I may be watching it already.  Unless it's Chopped, I really don't watch the cooking ones......

• @lyndausvi maybe it's because you're not her kid your MIL listen to you?
    Also poor J :( and poor baby!

Yay to your mum feeling better.
    I think that's it.   11 years ago she wouldn't go out to dinner with us if we were in town.  Now she does.  Mostly because I called her out on it a couple of years ago.   She still complains.  Then I say "just stop, you always complain, then end the evening saying how much you enjoy yourself.  When will your kids all be together again?"     She agrees, goes and always has a great time.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Nothing planned for the weekend. H is out of town again, the weather is supposed to be terrible, and I'm behind on grading. So I'm planning to snuggle up with the cat and dog and relax. 

Shopping event last night was kind of a bust. I picked up a blanket scarf for SIL, book for Goddaughter, ornament for sister, and a sweater for myself. But it was a lot of LulaRoe/Anges &Dora/Norwex/Stella&Dot/Jamberry and not as much local stuff. Also didn't win Hamilton tickets. But my friend's dad is sick (likely end of life sick) so it was good to get out and do something else. 
  • Congrats @climbingwife! Sounds like a great move. 

If we had 50K? Down payment on a new house. It wouldn't even pay off half of our student loans, so we'd just put it toward a new house. And save. We're boring. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Wow @climbingwife!  That does have to be surreal.  Are you moving on to somewhere new? 

Yes! Starting in 3 weeks with a new company. I'll be the Director of Purchasing and it's coming with a nice bump in compensation! 
    Congrats and good luck!  YAY for more $$$$! 
  • lyndausvi said:

In other exciting news,  DH has been interviewing with the Food Network for being in a show.  We will not find out for a few months on the results.   

Super exciting!!  You have to tell us which show after the process is done (either way).  :D 

• oh wow.  Wouldn't that be the case? I know my BFF's child is super laid back and chill and like laughs at you the minute you look at her.  She makes parenting look easy.  I know it's not easy!  What do they do for babies with acid reflux?  That would TOTALLY make them cranky.  It makes ME cranky!

That is exciting news for hubby!  Good luck to him.  FX it all goes well.  If it's a "baking" show I may be watching it already.  Unless it's Chopped, I really don't watch the cooking ones......
    It would be a cooking show.  He can bake, but it's not his thing.

As far as the baby.  It's hardly surprising, except to J, I guess.    LOL.      V is only a month old, right now they are not giving her anything.   For reasons I do not know, but she is not breastfeeding.   As of right now, I think they are doing the formula circuit to see if they can find one that will not cause the reflux.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • 50k? I’d invest half of it for retirement and put half of it in a more conservative investment with an eye to using it as part of a down payment in a few years. 
  • kvruns said:
    I’m being an AW again but I just had to share another sneak peek from my baby’s photshoot 

I gasped at the cute!  It's too much! 
  • My mom is throwing a birthday party for my dad.

I'm still waiting for an employer to make me an offer. He promised to be in touch "early this week" but as yet I haven't heard from him.
  • @climbingwife congrats on the new job

$50K with no strings. Hmmmm. I'm terrible about spending money for fun things. I'd like to think I'd do something fun like plan a cool vacation but really I'd probably just invest it

@southernbelle0915 LOL at $1.50 left over 
  • @southernbelle0915 oh yeh M comes to ultrasounds and will likely come to at least one OB appt (to meet them before delivery)
    Only reason he didn't opt to go to first prenatal because it was in middle of day and I was already told it'd be long. {which I'm kinda glad he didn't because it was basically a physical without pap ...}

• @mrsconn23 - if someone just handed me $50K "with no strings", I would first want to really know if there were no strings because just...why? But then I'd put $10K into babybelle's/futurebelle's college account, prepay for a year of daycare for the two of them and then, with the $1.50 leftover, I'd buy a candybar at the grocery store checkout and cry that this is my life now.
    Knowing what I know about the situation, it's truly no strings.   It was a complete surprise to my friend and it could not have come at a better time for a ton of reasons.  
  • @climbingwife congrats!
    @lyndausvi Food Network, so exciting! Keep us posted!
    @MissKittyDanger Prenatal appointments- DH only came to the two regular ultrasounds. So many prenatal appointments are literally just taking your weight, blood pressure, listening to the doppler for the heartbeat, and asking how you're feeling. I had a textbook pregnancy so having DH along would be a waste of his time. If DH had any questions I could ask the doc myself and report back. I'd just text him after the appointment to tell him everything was fine. Wishing you a textbook pregnancy as well :) 

If I had $50k no questions asked, I'd give it to DH to put towards his grad school loan balance. 

• My H came to a lot of the appointments but then once it got to a frequency of 1x month or every 2 weeks he stopped coming since it was just super basic. Plus I had always had them in late afternoon so he could attend (which meant they were usually running behind) so then I scheduled them for first thing in the morning since I didn't have to worry about his schedule. I think he came to 1-2 at the end because they fell on his work from home day
  • @mrsconn23, like some other PPs mentioned, I'd also be boring with my $50K surprise.  I'd pay down my HELOC, which is essentially going to be a big part of our down payment for a small apartment complex in a few years.  Or pay down $49,500 worth and use $500 for a weekend getaway with a fancy, celebratory dinner.

@CharmedPam, enjoy Cirque Crystal!

@climbingwife, what exciting news!  Congrats on the new job.

@lyndausvi, I'm glad you had a good trip, overall!  How exciting for your H!  I hope he gets the opportunity.  That would be amazing.  I've cut down to only watching Chopped on FN, but would definitely watch whatever show he was on.  Fun!

@kvruns, you be as AW as you want!  That little guy is just the cutest.

Got my first check today, since my raise!  After taxes, it's an extra $55 per paycheck.  At first I was wondering WTH happened to my $150/month raise!  Because I'm not a morning person and wasn't thinking about that there are TWO paychecks in a month, lol.  It all made much more sense then!

We don't really have any plans for the weekend.  Other than I'm excited I don't need to go grocery shopping.

I'm more just already anticipating the short work week, next week, because of TG.  It will be glorious!  Hmmm...we happen to already have a turkey in the chest freezer.  We should really take it out today, so there is time to thaw!  This holiday has been sneaking up on me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker