Wedding Woes

Monday...blerg

I have been up since 330am because my stomach was angry.  It never calmed down enough for me to go back to sleep.  I'm better now, but really tired and cranky. 

And my mood sucks because we actually had a lovely weekend.  Saturday, we bought our tree and went downtown to see the lights.  Yesterday, we decorated and I made cinnamon rolls.  We slept in both days and the kids were pretty good all weekend.  

I'm so cranky right now that a debate-ish conversation DH and I had this weekend is sticking in my craw. 

How was your weekend? 

Re: Monday...blerg

• Friday we ended up going for dinner at a buffet. We were suppose to go awhile ago with people but they changed where to go, so M said we'd go another day.

Found out while we were there, so was my mum. Unfortunately we didn't see her there because she texted back while she was in the car leaving. As I explained to her, this is 100% why she needs to check her phone more lol

Saturday I cleaned, then napped. In the evening we went to this light show that you drive through. It's really pretty. I snapped a few photos on a separate camera and got videos, but I'll try to post here later.
    We ended up stopping at Wendy's for snack since a few people were hungry. Seriously under rated salads. I got just a side salad and frosty, and damn it was really good!

Sunday I woke up with a headache, and it didn't really go away - I discovered later it's sinus :( - so I took a nap to try and help alleviate it a bit. Didn't really work, but better than nothing.
    M's xmas party was last night. We didn't stay late, but we were there for awhile. I got to finally meet a few people I had heard of but not seen. One girl was not who I thought she'd be. Not sure if that's good or bad :')

Tonight I'm trying to convince M we should go for waffles. I didn't take anything out for dinner, and crazy craving for belgian waffles .... mmmm!
    Apparently the close restaurants close at 4pm on Mondays. Wtf!
    I did find one place luckily :)
  • Side note: Mondays.
    My boss' fridge broke last night. She just found out it's cheaper to buy a new one than fix this one.
    6 years old! Wtf!

My coworker's car died. The starter won't turn over.
  • I vote for a re-do of Sunday instead of Monday, who's with me? 

Weekend was fine; nothing special. I worked. H was finally home but spent the day over at his parents doing something with the deer. I was super annoyed because he just got back two days ago, he's leaving again Thursday. He apologized, we had tacos, it worked out. 

We have an active shooter training at work this afternoon. I hate that we live in a world country where this kind of thing is necessary. 
  • I'm "blerging" with you today!  I woke up feeling pretty lousy.  I'm feeling a bit better now, but am still considering leaving work a few hours early today.

Other than that, my weekend was great.  On Saturday, my H and I did go see Murder on the Orient Express at the "fancy" theatre.  The food and drinks were a rip-off at $72 (including tip), lol.  But it was still fun.  We'll go again, but probably stick more to the snacks, instead of entrees.  Why didn't someone invent cup holders for movie theatre seats a long time ago?  Brilliant.

We haven't even done much with it, but we are really loving our new Cuisinart Air Fryer.  I've reheated restaurant leftovers, that are fried.  It does a great job with that.  We cooked bacon with it on Sunday morning.  Crisp and delicious, but with most of the fat left on the drip pan.  So, while I wouldn't go so far as to say it makes bacon healthy (darn it, lol), it definitely makes it health-ier.  Without a loss of flavor or texture.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MissKittyDanger, we have an awesome Christmas lights show in City Park.  I haven't gone in eons because they didn't allow people to drive through it anymore and I'm too much of a baby to walk for 2+ miles.  But I found out this year there is also some trolley thing you can ride, so we're planning to check it out again.

They also used to have horse drawn carriages you could take through it.  Which I always thought would be so magical!  But I was too poor to do it while they had it and now the carriages are long gone also.  Whomp-whomp.

@charlotte989875, tacos fix everything!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm also blerging with you. Babypants is back in the throes of teething again - and her little gums were bothering her last night so she woke up at 2:30 and then again at 4:15. I was falling asleep on the way into the office this morning! And H had gotten up to go to the bathroom at 4:15 and checked in on me - only to find me in tears because I was so exhausted. So he told me to go back to bed, to which I replied "oh, are you going to go downstairs and make her a bottle?" because I hadn't fed her yet. And he got all pissy because apparently that's NOT what he had in mind (sleep deprivation is the devil I tell you. What did he think? That I was just going to tell our 4-month-old that she should go back to sleep because Mommy is tired and Daddy isn't making you a bottle, but don't worry I will feed you in two hours?) This supermoon is making people kuh-RAZY! 

And then I got to work this morning to find that our crackerjack Expansion Team replaced the opaque Mechoshade with a translucent one in the MOTHER'S ROOM. I sent them and HR an email with a photo of the shade down, but providing a clear view of the street (and therefore the inside of the Mother's Room from the street). They fixed it before I could set up shop to charge admission to passersby lol. 

On the plus side, I did a DIY photoshoot with Babypants on Saturday afternoon for our Christmas card and was able to get our cards ordered from Minted & proof approved!

@MissKittyDanger do you get Halo Top up where you are? They have a new flavor called Pancakes and Waffles that I tried last night - oddly super delicious!!!
  • @short+sassy  oh that sounds really neat! Before security things, you use to be able to drive close to Parliament Hill and see the lights, but now you have to walk it. I feel your pain on the being too much of a baby to walk it ;)

@sparklepants41 you know, I've heard a lot about that brand and have never really looked. I should! Idk what it is ... but it's the idea of the waffles with strawberry topping and whipped cream. I suggested to M we get our own waffle maker :')
  • The weekend was a whirlwind.  Saturday am we went to paint Christmas ornaments and visit Santa.  They also had free horse and carriage rides so I did that with my oldest two.  Max didn't want to for some reason.  Saturday night we watched movies.

Sunday was church then I went for a run.  M2 decided she what she wanted to get me for Christmas.  She's so darn stubborn DH took her shopping so he wouldn't have to listen to her.  Last night we went to zoo lights.  They added a bunch more and for once we were STROLLER FREE. 

This week is BUSY, but it's mainly fun stuff.  Tonight teaching and card club.  Tuesday our big event at church (it's one of my favorite nights of the year).  Wednesday gymnastics and basketball.  Thursday PTO meeting. Friday author visit at school (it's my event) then DH's CEO Christmas party.  Saturday M2 has a bday party to go to.  Sunday is MAX's BDAY party.  I'm tired already!

• Other than not getting the job offer that had been dangling in front of me for almost a month, it wasn't bad.

My mom belongs to a sewing club and they had their annual meeting. That was nice.

Yesterday I did some volunteer work that I enjoyed. 
  • Jen - Sorry about the job offer.  WTF to the guy saying you are getting an offer and then turn around and say nope.  Hoping good things can come your way soon!  Is there a reason you can't get into oil & gas?  Are you at a point where you have too much experience and you would need to go down to entry level for oil & gas work?

Our weekend was pretty good.   Friday night, we got in a last minute date night.  We saw Thor and I loved it!  Saturday, we had a funeral to go to.  We also went to the luncheon afterwards.  I was able to take my niece for her birthday gift finally.  Then we went to church. 

Sunday, I got up early with DD and was going to head to Babies R Us for their diaper special.  Buy 2 big boxes and get a $20 gift card.  While there, I also got some baby food.  The girl tells me the total $85, then goes "Oh, you get the gift card promotion".  She then tells me my total is $105.  I'm like - uh, did you just charge me for the free gift card?  And it got bad from there, but yes, because I bought something other than diapers I am charged for the gift card, in case I return any of the other items.  In the end I declined the gift card "promo" and even had 1 of the diaper boxes taken off the bill.  I'm still so mad about their "promo" that I am returning the other box of diapers at lunch and then going to Target to buy more.  IT'S NOT FREE IF I'M PAYING FOR IT BABIES R US!!!!!  Also, they put expiration dates on the promo gift cards - so again, its not free!

Then my mom and I drove down to Cape May to get our fish for our 7 fishes dinner.  We loaded it all up in our cooler and started home.  It's an hour and half drive each way.  Get back to my parent's house and start to unload - only to realize we were not given 1 of the bags of fish!  My parents ended up driving back down for the other bag of fish.  Blerg!

Sunday night we went to my friend's house for a Christmas Parade.  It runs right down their street.  DD was looking at all the things, but I don't think she really knew what to make of it.  Next year will be the first big year for Christmas stuff with her, I think!

• @sparklepants41 that sleep deprivation sucks and baby B was really affected by the 4 month sleep regression. That shit is real so I hope yours is just teething.

@oliveoilsmom wtf on the BRU thing? That makes absolutely no sense. Like none.  If anything just buy the 2 boxes for the promo, get the gift card, and then buy your other stuff in a separate transaction.  Although I don't blame you for just saying F you and shopping elsewhere. 
  • @charlotte989875 when in doubt, food. Glad things got fixed though

@sparklepants41 Yikes! Sleep regression sounds awful, especially mixed with teething :(

@6fsn yay for stroller free!!

@OliveOilsMom that's total b.s! You bought the diapers. That's the promo. Wtf! Did you complain? I would.

@southernbelle0915 you're so lucky :) I've seen kids all great with animals, then they come up for the food they have and it's a flip out style meltdown lol
  • @Jen4948 I'm sorry about the job offer. On the plus side, a place that would tell you you are getting an offer and then pull it away sounds super unprofessional. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that an awesome offer comes through soon!

@OliveOilsMom I am scratching my head SO HARD about the "free" Babies R Us gift card promo. It's free unless you buy something in addition to the diapers that are part of the promo? And then you are charged for it?? Sounds like maybe that cashier just didn't understand how the promo works.
  • @Jen4948 I'm sorry about the job offer. On the plus side, a place that would tell you you are getting an offer and then pull it away sounds super unprofessional. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that an awesome offer comes through soon!

@OliveOilsMom I am scratching my head SO HARD about the "free" Babies R Us gift card promo. It's free unless you buy something in addition to the diapers that are part of the promo? And then you are charged for it?? Sounds like maybe that cashier just didn't understand how the promo works.
    Apple did this a while ago, maybe like 2009ish? They had a promo where if you bought a new computer you got a "free" iPod touch. Well you still had to buy the iPod but then you got a gift card with the amount of the iPod sent to you in the mail. I declined it because I didn't want to pay it out of pocket. The guy at the store couldn't believe it he was like "less than 1% of people actually decline this. You get a free iPod?!". Sorry, nope. 

I bought a new computer this year and got free Beats headphones with it, and I asked the guy at the store if it was like the old deal and he looked at me like I was crazy because who would have a promo where you had to pay for the free thing up front?! Yeah, you did Apple like 8 years ago. \endrant

Apparently I'm still a little annoyed about this all these years later. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2017
    just an awful day all round for me too!  We're not going forward with the condo we liked.  We found out, on Friday, the HOA association gets a "security" fee of $3,000 upfront.  We asked what it was.  Couldn't get it in writing what we're paying for and I couldn't find anywhere on the internet what a security fee is (@short+sassy, do you know?).  So we have to come up with another 3K at closing?  I checked online and all the units around us are for sale.  Something is super fishy and I have a feeling it's the HOA.

So we're on the look for a VA approved house then (since we lost the VA loan on the condo but were OK with going forward anyway)

I was up since 4 too! I'm so tired. And busy at work!

Friday I got a liiiiiittle bit wasted at our holiday party.  I didn't do anything stupid, but when I got home did it ever hit me how drunk I was.  It was a lot of fun though.  I was to hung over on Saturday to do anything, so yesterday I did some laundry, cleaning, baking and met up with a friend for dinner.  Remember my issue with dry skin?  I tried neutragena hydroboost PLUS a sponge instead of a brush and it actually absorbed more into my skin....so while it looks a bit dry still, no where as near as dry as anything else I have tried.

@misskittydanger, I want to see these pictures!
    @jen4948, I heard about the job offer in the Friday post.  So sorry for you.  They made you hang for so long!  Glad you have something while still looking though. I really hope something comes along.
    @oliveoilsmom and @charlotte989875, what kind of deals are those?  LOL.  

• edited December 2017
    @CharmedPam I have a bunch of stuff to upload likely tonight, so I'll post them later :)

edit
    I'm not sure if everywhere, but here we had to do the $3k deposit also. It goes with the total of down payment but essentially it's because we didn't do higher than 5% that is required {minimum}
  • Oh I forgot crazy drama that happened at my mum's work!
    {Disclaimer: given my mum works with food, the health inspection was contacted and apparently does not affect the food. For those curious}

Friday when we got to my mum's place I noticed her coat is in a bag wrapped up in her mudroom. Strange but ignore it.
    Later on, my mum is explaining why it's wrapped. Bed bugs.

She explained that one coworker comes in, tossed his coat on top of other people's coats {some hung, some weren't. my mum's was an not as affected}
    Later, my mum goes to head for break and hers plus everyone else's are wrapped in garbage bags separately.
    She asks one of the managers, and is explained that someone came in with bedbugs. Gave her instructions on how to deal with her coat.
    {dryer. high head for 15mins. kills them.}

Guy who brought in the bugs had no idea. Thought he got it from the bus {wtf} but as manager explained, they weren't just on his coat.

One night my mum was pretty grateful she didn't have to go to her other job - how would one explain that?

So if you're looking, on black clothing they look like red dots.
  • Thanks everyone.

According to the guy, the company had a client who wouldn't pay a big amount due, and that absorbed all their time. I guess that also absorbed whatever they would have paid me.

It doesn't excuse their jerking me around, but I'm looking for whatever lemonade I can squeeze out of this huge lemon.
  • I am going to complain about the "promo".  I understand that if I were to return one of the boxes of diapers, that I would get $20 less for the cost, due to the gift card.  But charging me for it?  Uh - no Jim. 

It's like Kohl's Cash.  If you use your Kohl's Cash, but return an item that helped to generate the Kohl's Cash, you won't get your full cost back.  I get that, but it made no sense to charge me.  And it was all computerized - so I think it wasn't so much the cashier as it was the computer.  Most cashiers just do whatever the computers tell them to now.

Either way, I returned the box to BRU and went over to Target and got diapers there!  They even had buy 2 boxes (smaller than the boxes BRU require) and get a $10 gift card!  Woohoo!

• Yea I would understand if it was like Kohl's Cash but otherwise nope. I need to go to BRU because I bought the wrong size of diapers (well I bought the right ones but then changed my mind and want bigger). I'm trying the BRU house brand because they were hella cheap and hope they work out. 
  • just an awful day all round for me too!  We're not going forward with the condo we liked.  We found out, on Friday, the HOA association gets a "security" fee of $3,000 upfront.  We asked what it was.  Couldn't get it in writing what we're paying for and I couldn't find anywhere on the internet what a security fee is (@short+sassy, do you know?).  So we have to come up with another 3K at closing?  I checked online and all the units around us are for sale.  Something is super fishy and I have a feeling it's the HOA.

So we're on the look for a VA approved house then (since we lost the VA loan on the condo but were OK with going forward anyway)

Oh no!  I'm sorry to hear the condo didn't work out!

I've never owned a property that had HOA fees, so I'm not that familiar with it.  My guess...and it is a total guess...is maybe that is like a security deposit for the HOA.  Like, if you don't pay the HOA fees or damage a piece of common property, they can take it out of that security fee.

Whatever it is, it seems super sketchy they did not provide to you all...in writing...exactly what it was, what it was for, and if/how to get it back on a future sale.  I mean, I provide all of that in writing for the security deposits with my little 'ole rental units.

If you all had a realtor, I would ask that person.  Or, if not, the seller's agent.

Furthermore, what's the deal with this popping up in the final stretch?  That is definitely b.s., right there.  That fee should have been disclosed as part of the closing costs, all along.

Out of curiosity, did you all make a counter to the seller in light of this closing cost?  Like, they contribute half or all of that closing cost?

Obviously I can't speak for other people but, unless I was already selling my property at quite a discount, I wouldn't want my buyers walking...after being under contract for a few weeks...over $1500 or even $3K.

Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise.  Like you mentioned, if a lot of other condos in this complex are for sale, maybe there is something really crappy going on.  Not to mention, areas with almost identical properties...like a condo complex...will have values dropping like a rock when a few of them are for sale, at the same time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • just an awful day all round for me too!  We're not going forward with the condo we liked.  We found out, on Friday, the HOA association gets a "security" fee of $3,000 upfront.  We asked what it was.  Couldn't get it in writing what we're paying for and I couldn't find anywhere on the internet what a security fee is (@short+sassy, do you know?).  So we have to come up with another 3K at closing?  I checked online and all the units around us are for sale.  Something is super fishy and I have a feeling it's the HOA.

I've never owned a property that had HOA fees, so I'm not that familiar with it.  My guess...and it is a total guess...is maybe that is like a security deposit for the HOA.  Like, if you don't pay the HOA fees or damage a piece of common property, they can take it out of that security fee.

Whatever it is, it seems super sketchy they did not provide to you all...in writing...exactly what it was, what it was for, and if/how to get it back on a future sale.  I mean, I provide all of that in writing for the security deposits with my little 'ole rental units.

If you all had a realtor, I would ask that person.  Or, if not, the seller's agent.

Furthermore, what's the deal with this popping up in the final stretch?  That is definitely b.s., right there.  That fee should have been disclosed as part of the closing costs, all along.

Out of curiosity, did you all make a counter to the seller in light of this closing cost?  Like, they contribute half or all of that closing cost?

Obviously I can't speak for other people but, unless I was already selling my property at quite a discount, I wouldn't want my buyers walking...after being under contract for a few weeks...over $1500 or even $3K.

Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise.  Like you mentioned, if a lot of other condos in this complex are for sale, maybe there is something really crappy going on.  Not to mention, areas with almost identical properties...like a condo complex...will have values dropping like a rock when a few of them are for sale, at the same time.

It wasn't at a discount.  It's going for what they're all going for! lol.  But I do feel bad that it's been under contract for so long and now this is coming into light.  It really should have been disclosed from the get go but no one knew about it (our agent or banker)!!  Your explanation of it sounds like it's about right though. Our agent did email us back and wrote:  "not so fast! the condo association decided to get that special insurance...."

did she mean "drop" when she wrote "get"?  typo's are going to be the death of us!!!  Because if it's drop then yeah, we'll still go ahead (even though I'm still curious as to why they're all selling around us)

• I'd definitely want more information about that from the HOA. Did you get a copy of the covenants? 
  • Ugh, Monday.  I slept like crap and now I'm also blerg.

Work is busy as hell, which is good, but bad when you're tired.

Tomorrow is cray as well.  Aside from 3 appointments for work, I have to leave early to meet with H and a current State Rep to talk logistics.  As long as he can work first semester and run, I think he's going to do it.  My original opinion was I didn't really want him to, if I'm 100% honest.  But as we hash it out and talk it out, I've 100% flipped.  He's the type of person people want to represent them, he has good ideas, and if heaven forbid he loses, he goes back to the career he loves.  

Our pupper is being a real PITA.  She's doing this puppy biting thing that our trainer says she'll grow out of as long as we're firm and punish her, but man, she's driving me insane with it!

@Jen4948 I'm sure taking this other job was a bummer on top of everything else, but they say it's easier to get hired when you're working, so I hope this is a short stop on the path to gainful employment.

It wasn't at a discount.  It's going for what they're all going for! lol.  But I do feel bad that it's been under contract for so long and now this is coming into light.  It really should have been disclosed from the get go but no one knew about it (our agent or banker)!!  Your explanation of it sounds like it's about right though. Our agent did email us back and wrote:  "not so fast! the condo association decided to get that special insurance...."

did she mean "drop" when she wrote "get"?  typo's are going to be the death of us!!!  Because if it's drop then yeah, we'll still go ahead (even though I'm still curious as to why they're all selling around us)

If it were me, I'd go up there on a nice weather-wise Saturday or Sunday...during the day...when neighbors will be milling around.  And strike up friendly conversations.

Like, "Hey, excuse me, do you live in this complex?"..."Oh, okay, great!  My H and I are considering purchasing here..."

And then proceed to ask whatever questions you have, as long as it doesn't seem like you are bugging the neighbor.  But, in my experience, people like to be helpful and like to talk about the good/bad of their communities.  You might get some good insight as to why people are selling and/or other pitfalls of the community.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @kimmiinthemitten vibes for you H running!! Is puppers teething? I know it's weird, but my mum's cat had a biting issue when she teethed {none of our other cats did} She'd say "ow!" even if it didn't hurt, but more to get the point of the 'no biting'
    Vet suggested a frozen face cloth like a baby. That helped since she wasn't biting to hurt, but more to get my mum's finger to massage her gums lol
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2017
    @OliveOilsMom, I think I would have said, "ok, I'm not getting the baby food, just the diapers," and given them to her. They usually just set stuff right there on the counter until someone can restock it. Then, check out and get the gift card, and then say, "I think I will get those after all," and check out with just the baby food.  And maybe give an evil chuckle. 

My baby has been fussy. She has her first two teeth and naps have gotten better since, but still fussy during the day. 
  • @misskittydanger, bedbugs at work? huge nope for me!

• @CharmedPam Right!? My mum's had her jacket in a bag basically since Friday. She's so nervous bringing it in.