Outdoor Weddings

Texas outdoor wedding in June

What are your experiences with an evening TX summer wedding in June? Yes I know it is hot but I was thinking about starting my ceremony at 7:30. I plan on providing fans and beverages for the ceremony and plenty of mosquito spray. We are also very casual. We would advise guests on our wedding website on the attire and weather. Thank you for your response!

Re: Texas outdoor wedding in June

• I love the timing of the wedding. Evening ceremonies that go right into reception without a gap are my favorite by far. It gives guests the whole day with just an event in the evening and allows traveling guests flexibility on when they can fly in. 

However, in June, you're looking at about 90-95 degrees. That is WAY too hot for an outdoor wedding, even with fans and beverages. I went to an outdoor wedding in Austin in late August (about the same temp-wise) and it was absolutely miserable. The couple had done their best to provide personal fans - they even had industrial fans - and they served iced lemonade and champagne before and after the ceremony. The site was in the shade. It didn't matter. Everyone was in their nice wedding clothes and dripping sweat. The bride looked like she was melting. Her make up and hair were all messed up by the time they finished photos. The groomsmen were dripping - literally through their tuxes. 

Honestly, if you're set on getting married outside in Texas, I would do it in early April where it's mid-70s and blue bonnets are blooming. The temperature is perfect for an outdoor wedding and the blue bonnets make for amazing photos. Plus you avoid football season when everyone gets all huffy about missing the evening games on Saturdays.
    *********************************************************************************

• What's the average temperature and humidity during that time in the evening? Even for a casual event if you're thinking about 4-5 hours in the heat/humidity you've got to think about how to keep food properly chilled (and warmed) and lot of ice. 

What about having the ceremony outside and reception indoors? 
  • What's the average temperature and humidity during that time in the evening? Even for a casual event if you're thinking about 4-5 hours in the heat/humidity you've got to think about how to keep food properly chilled (and warmed) and lot of ice. 

What about having the ceremony outside and reception indoors? 
    IMO, it's too hot for even just a ceremony outside. Even if it's a short 20 minute ceremony, people will come 15 minutes ahead of time (minimum) and it'll take 15 minutes (minimum) for people to leave. That's almost an hour to be sitting in wedding clothes in 95 degree heat - and best case scenario, it's a dry heat in the shade. 

In the same way I wouldn't advise an outdoor wedding in November in Wisconsin, an outdoor wedding in June in Texas is just a bad idea. 
    *********************************************************************************

• When my daughter was planning her wedding, several guests asked us, "Is any part of this wedding going to be outdoors?"  When told "No", they said, "Good!  We'll be there!"  Temperature was 105 on her wedding day.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I know someone who did this (in Texas). I wasn’t able to go to the wedding, but honestly the fact that it was outdoors in summer was a huge reason I didn’t make the effort to go. I wasn’t about to fly several hundred miles and spend a thousand dollars to be hosted poorly and have to suck it up in summer Texan heat. Every single person I’ve talked to who went has mentioned how unbearably hot and humid it was. It comes up in passing whenever the wedding is mentioned. In the photos, people do look like they’re having fun, but they also look miserably hot and uncomfortable. This couple was also “laid back” and “casual.” Don’t do this to your guests. 

• I advise against this. It will be hot and possibly humid, depending on where in the state you are, and there will be bugs. Remember that it will feel more extreme to any guests from out of town who are not used to the heat. My wedding was in September, and we chose to do even our pictures inside because it was too hot out, especially for our guests from the Midwest.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • I went to an outdoor wedding in Texas in October and it was so hot even in a short dress with no sleeves and a hand fan I had sweat dripping down my back into my butt crack and mind you I am in my late 20's at the time of this wedding. The older folks were even worse, some had umbrellas as covering. It was miserable, and honestly other than the heat all I remember is they had the tables set up on the lawn for us to eat at and instead we all crowded around under the porch like sardines to get a bit of shade. Nothing else about that wedding was bad, we were well hosted and it should have been a lovely, fun wedding. Instead, all I remember is the heat and thinking about how worried I was grandpa was going to pass out. 

If someone, even family, sent me an invite for a June Texas weather outside I would laugh as I checked "No" because no way I would put myself through that. 
  • Sounds like hell to me.  Especially if you are in the Houston area.  I lived in that area once and OMG, to this day I remember how hot and humid it was at night and that was YEARS ago.

I had a friend who was a GM in a wedding near Austin a few years ago.   3 of the WP members passed out it was so hot.  The GMs all looked like they were standing in a steam room from all the sweat coming through their jackets.   Honestly the only thing he talks about that wedding was the heat.  

Is that really the experience you want your guests to remember for life?

I agree with @southernbelle0915  if you want an outside wedding in TX have it during another time of year.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • It's impossible to be able to give an answer to this question.  Texas is HUGE.  It takes the same amount of time to drive across the state of Texas as it does to drive from the western part of Texas to Los Angeles.  So your question is like asking, "How's the weather in New Mexico, Arizona and southern California in June?"  Uhhh...

Now, if you are in west Texas in the desert where there is really no humidity, an outdoor evening wedding would be great as long as there are fans and the area is covered from any evening sun.  If you are in Houston or the more swampy areas of east Texas, where it is very humid, it is probably a terrible idea.  

• I live in NC, and June is one of our most awful, humid, hot months. I've been to parts of TX in June and it's even worse. I would probably suggest against it. Our wedding was in April and started at 6:30 pm and it was pretty warm. Not uncomfortable hot, but definitely sleeveless dress weather. 

Does your venue have an indoor space you could use?
  • It'll be broiling hot. If you're going to marry in Texas in June, you need to be indoors in an air-conditioned setting.
  • I'm from the Texas gulf coast, so hot and humid to the max.

I've been to a few weddings in the evening, even at sunset, but they all had receptions inside. The ceremony outside was okay, especially if fans were going or hand-fans were provided or some other thing like that (e.g. bug spray/wipes, cool water/drinks, etc). If your ceremony is short, it'll be fine in my opinion. If most of your guests are from Texas, they will be okay lol. If you have a lot of guests from somewhere else, maybe reconsider? But ultimately, I wouldn't worry about it as it is your decision.

Reception outside is another story. I think it'd be too hot for too long and generally unpleasant, even for you (think of the heavy wedding dress and how much more you'd be sweating than normal).
  • I'm from the Texas gulf coast, so hot and humid to the max.

I've been to a few weddings in the evening, even at sunset, but they all had receptions inside. The ceremony outside was okay, especially if fans were going or hand-fans were provided or some other thing like that (e.g. bug spray/wipes, cool water/drinks, etc). If your ceremony is short, it'll be fine in my opinion. If most of your guests are from Texas, they will be okay lol. If you have a lot of guests from somewhere else, maybe reconsider? But ultimately, I wouldn't worry about it as it is your decision.

Reception outside is another story. I think it'd be too hot for too long and generally unpleasant, even for you (think of the heavy wedding dress and how much more you'd be sweating than normal).
    That is not great advice to say “not to worry as ultimately your decision”. As soon as you invite guests, you have to think of their comfort. 
  • We lived in the DFW area for three years. I cannot imagine attending any outdoor event, other than a pool party, in June.  And the heat there was very dry. The last thing I want to put on when I'm wearing a cute sundress is bug spray.

I would have it indoors, or do it in April. Even that is dicey, but it can be cooler in the evenings and not as buggy.
  • We lived in the DFW area for three years. I cannot imagine attending any outdoor event, other than a pool party, in June.  And the heat there was very dry. The last thing I want to put on when I'm wearing a cute sundress is bug spray.

I would have it indoors, or do it in April. Even that is dicey, but it can be cooler in the evenings and not as buggy.
    Hi @Knottie3a07c9dc00519677 I know you're new and commenting a lot (which is great!) but please try to take a peek at the post dates. This post is over 6 months old and considered dead.

Thanks!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm planning something like this! 

Early June North TX outdoor wedidng. The ceremony will be in the woods, so the trees will provide shade. As long as you have shade, it should be fine. We are doing the programs as fans thing, and also having ice water and popsicles out for guests. 
    Additionally, guests will be able to wait in the AC house until about 15 minutes before the ceremony starts. Their will be a sunscreen/bug spay station nearby. 

Our timeline is guests arrive at 5 to the house to mingle. At 5:15 do 5 min walk in shaded woods to ceremony spot. 5:30 ceremony starts. Ceremony ends 5:55. Guests are back in AC house for cocktail hour by 6. So they are only outside in shade max 45 minutes. 

I'm making pinterest boards to show guests we'd prefer them to wear lighter clothes, sundresses, short sleeves, no heels, etc. 

Dinner will be 7-8:30, sunset at 8:30. We still aren't sure if we are doing wedding reception in the woods also, or if we should find an indoor venue. The thing is, any venue that can hold 100 guests around us is 3k minimum for a Saturday, which we can't afford. Luckily 100% of my guests are from TX, so I know everyone here is used to the heat. 
  • I'm planning something like this! 

Early June North TX outdoor wedidng. The ceremony will be in the woods, so the trees will provide shade. As long as you have shade, it should be fine. We are doing the programs as fans thing, and also having ice water and popsicles out for guests. 
    Additionally, guests will be able to wait in the AC house until about 15 minutes before the ceremony starts. Their will be a sunscreen/bug spay station nearby. 

Our timeline is guests arrive at 5 to the house to mingle. At 5:15 do 5 min walk in shaded woods to ceremony spot. 5:30 ceremony starts. Ceremony ends 5:55. Guests are back in AC house for cocktail hour by 6. So they are only outside in shade max 45 minutes. 

I'm making pinterest boards to show guests we'd prefer them to wear lighter clothes, sundresses, short sleeves, no heels, etc. 

Dinner will be 7-8:30, sunset at 8:30. We still aren't sure if we are doing wedding reception in the woods also, or if we should find an indoor venue. The thing is, any venue that can hold 100 guests around us is 3k minimum for a Saturday, which we can't afford. Luckily 100% of my guests are from TX, so I know everyone here is used to the heat. 
    Please look at the date before you post. This question was from 2017. These people have likely already gotten married and had a couple of anniversaries.