Wedding Woes
Options

If you can't control yourself, leave her alone.

Dear Prudence,
I have reconnected on social media with a former girlfriend, and she has become a very close friend. We dated briefly in our early 20s. It was an intense relationship that fell apart because we were both young and immature. I am now a middle-aged, divorced single dad; she is happily married with two daughters and lives several states away. The chemistry between us is unmistakable. She even came back to my area (alone) several months ago to visit family, and she invited me out for dinner and mentioned that her husband was in poor health. The remark about her husband’s health was only in passing. We didn’t have a whole conversation about that. But as you can tell, I put a whole lot of meaning into it. I can tell she has feelings for me. How strong, I don’t know, but she clearly loves her husband and their kids.

I am absolutely smitten with her. I think about her every day. We talk on social media maybe once a week or so. I don’t want to break up her family or even sow any hint of trouble there, so I haven’t told her how I feel. On the other hand, it is hard to think seriously of anyone else romantically—just in case something happens in her husband’s life. And I feel like total shit for even thinking that. If I break off contact with her, I lose a good friend. And how do I do that? And what do I say to our mutual friends? I know I am in a destructive pattern, but I don’t know what to do.
—Can’t Extinguish Old Flame

Re: If you can't control yourself, leave her alone.

• Options
    This letter just...ugh.  Like I'm glad this dude has self-awareness, but it's just too desperate, smarmy, and tinged with hope that her husband dies and she falls into his arms.  He needs to leave her the fuck alone on all platforms. 

She probably gives less than zero fucks about your boner, dude. 

• Options
    I feel like it's bad juju for him to even think about her husband dying and her falling in love with him. Not cool, LW. 

But yeah, if you can't control yourself, leave her alone. 
  • Options

So, he THINKS he really cares about this woman.  But is hoping the man she loves and has built a life with dies.  Mmmm...hmmm.

Not to mention "poor health" could mean a variety of things.  It doesn't necessarily mean the H is even going to have a shorter than average life.

This dude needs to get a grip.  Right now I'm picturing him showing up at the H's funeral with a dozen red roses and a box of chocolates, smh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Today's one woman in the world...