Wedding Woes

Apple Cider Vinegar

MDK's suggestion of apple juice for coffee reminded me to ask this question....

Have y'all heard the buzz about this? Like apple cider vinegar is a magic health potion blessed by the gods (I'm being dramatic, but YKWIM)? Do any of y'all use it? Any followers? What do I need to know?
*********************************************************************************

Re: Apple Cider Vinegar

• I think it’s a bunch of nonsense. 
  • Heard of it. Haven't done it.

We have some that I got for last summer's fly issue, and M like to put some on his chips {he says adds good amount of sweetness that isn't expected}

I also think it's kinda b.s though
  • I think we used it to pull wallpaper off the walls in the house?
  • banana468 said:
    I've heard of this.   Apple cider vinegar and coconut oil are going to have the cutest miracle babies. 
    LOL!
    *********************************************************************************

• banana468 said:
    I've heard of this.   Apple cider vinegar and coconut oil are going to have the cutest miracle babies. 
    Dying laughing! Although I am big on coconut oil {mostly on skin - helps super dry spots from wind burn :)!}
  • I tried the 1 tsp in 8 oz of water every morning. For like, 3 days?

Did nothing for me and tasted like CRAP.  I can't torture myself like that.

• I used it in my hair with essential oils for a few weeks. My hair did adapt and stop being oily but it smelled like vinegar whenever it got wet. :(
  • DH uses it for heartburn and swears it works.  But it's too nasty.  I'll stick to Tums, thanks.  ;) 

But yes, for BBQ it's divine.  :D
  • Yeah we use it for pulled pork in the slow cooker and to solve fruit fly issues. But that pulled pork does somethin' good for my mental health that's for sure.
  • Whoa whoa whoa ..... coconut in BBQ sauce!? Never heard of this!

Does anyone have a recipe they love? Might as well give it a shot!

What she said. 

• See this is pretty much where I am. BBQ. And I do like a dash in lentil soup as well. 

I've never tried it, but I have to wonder.....if these health benefits are real, why haven't they made it into a concentrated tablet that doesn't taste like trash? Or is it all hype? Sounding to me like a lot of hype.

• MDK's suggestion of apple juice for coffee reminded me to ask this question....

Have y'all heard the buzz about this? Like apple cider vinegar is a magic health potion blessed by the gods (I'm being dramatic, but YKWIM)? Do any of y'all use it? Any followers? What do I need to know?
    We use it in cooking because it's a milder taste than white vinegar. If you need to soften beans or legumes quickly, I recommend adding a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to your pot as it boils, the acid helps soften the beans. 

I think they mean ACV in BBQ?
  • See this is pretty much where I am. BBQ. And I do like a dash in lentil soup as well. 

I've never tried it, but I have to wonder.....if these health benefits are real, why haven't they made it into a concentrated tablet that doesn't taste like trash? Or is it all hype? Sounding to me like a lot of hype.
    They do.  But I don't think it's as potent? example of one:

https://www.amazon.com/Nutricost-Apple-Vinegar-Veggie-Capsules/dp/B01A698E20/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1515688105&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=apple+cider+vinegar+pill&psc=1

• I have an elderly friend who swears by apple cider vinegar helping to lower cholesterol (I think). I can't stomach the taste myself.

I think she was referring to apple cider vinegar :smile:
  • So is it as simple as putting ACV into already made BBQ sauce or does someone have a great receipt for bbq sauce with it?

• I’ve mixed it with pure cranberry juice when I get a UTI and can’t get to the store/doctor right away. It seemed to help. Or maybe it was a placebo. Either way I figure it’s not like it hurt me and it makes the cranberry juice slightly more palatable. 

• levioosa said:
    I’ve mixed it with pure cranberry juice when I get a UTI and can’t get to the store/doctor right away. It seemed to help. Or maybe it was a placebo. Either way I figure it’s not like it hurt me and it makes the cranberry juice slightly more palatable. 
    I've heard cranberry juice is good, but I'm also not 100% sure if it is since I've never really heard a clear answer on why
  • So is it as simple as putting ACV into already made BBQ sauce or does someone have a great receipt for bbq sauce with it?
    I mean, you can probably just throw it into already-made, but I make my own for pulled pork in the slow cooker. 

Start with ketchup
    onion powder
    garlic powder
    something sweet - honey or brown sugar or molasses or maple syrup
    something acid - white or apple cider vinegar or a beer
    I throw in worcestershire sauce, because I love it, and a teensy teensy bit of red pepper flake, then salt and pepper to finish
    maybe a little chicken stock if you have to thin it out

You can also start with leftover marinara sauce, but then obviously, you don't need the garlic and onion components. 

Throw it all together, stick in crockpot with pork butt, six hours later, heaven! 
  • I'm in the ACV sounds like a lot of b.s. hype camp.  But I've also never researched it.

I always cook up sausages (ie smoked sausages, etc.) in half water/half ACV.  It adds a really nice tang that goes well with most sausage meats.  But does lend a noticeable vinegar flavor also.  Which my H and I like, but adjust accordingly for your own tastes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:
    I’ve mixed it with pure cranberry juice when I get a UTI and can’t get to the store/doctor right away. It seemed to help. Or maybe it was a placebo. Either way I figure it’s not like it hurt me and it makes the cranberry juice slightly more palatable. 
    I've heard cranberry juice is good, but I'm also not 100% sure if it is since I've never really heard a clear answer on why
    Cranberries contain something called proanthocyanidins (or PACs). They prevent bacteria from adhering to the cell walls of the bladder. 

My CVS pharmacy has an apple cider vinegar tablet.  I haven’t tried it (or acv straight) but supposedly it’s good for you?  :|
  • It's kind of like that thing from my Big Fat Greek Wedding... "Put some Windex on it!"...

• I have a lot of family members who swear by it. My mother says when she has a sore neck, it makes it go away. My H uses it in tea when he's sick. I haven't taken it regularly enough to notice it helping with everything. 

I do think it can help with smaller ailments. I actually just googled, and apparently people claim it can help with weight loss, diabetes, teeth whitening, which I don't agree with. 

I think there are lots of smaller things that more natural remedies like extra Vitamin C, homeopathics, plant extracts, ACV, etc. can help with, but they're still no miracle cure for everything. 

Funny story, I actually learned from my aunt that an extended relative I've never met was OBSESSED with keeping his body (either acidic or alkaline, I don't remember which. Whichever one your body isn't) because supposedly you can't get cancer or get sick if you can do that! So he'd eat horrific things and put weird things on his food. Drink vinegar. In this effort, one of the things he did that resulted in a hospital visit was give himself HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ENEMAS. Yes, you heard me right, I said HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ENEMAS. I cannot make this up, people! So that's one of the crazies in my family. 

The slightly funny and ironic thing is he ended up dying of cancer. Apparently because he couldn't do enough stuff to keep his body at the right ph level. 
  • kwiksilverkwiksilver member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2018
    I put it in my chickens waterer to keep algae from growing. It's also a natural way to keep them from getting some common chicken ailments (apparently, I don't know but it works for the algae anyway). That's the only legit purpose I have found for it LOL

Edited for spelling
  • The ACV cureall was soemthing my great grandma did...everything old is new again.