Wedding Woes

Wednesday

2»

Re: Wednesday

• @6fsn Depending on the age. Experiments they'd think are interesting I think is what he's hoping to start with. Would kids enjoy something that's simple {cornstarch & water - right mix and it's a liquid when you run your finger through it slowly, but if you punch it it'll be a solid} or is that too easy?

He's thinking stuff that parents may wanna also try out at home with the kids - so parent and kid friendly

ps - YAY KIDS IN SCHOOL!!!
    So these are for him to do with other people’s kids? For parents to take home? Is this some sort of project or is he just trying to be a cool adult?  I’m so confused. 

I mean, my kids don’t really want to do science experiments ever. The closest they came was my 4 yo enjoyed mixing colors for all of 10 minutes. If you just want a fun activity start investing in magnatiles (or their knock off). My kids having been building with them for years. 

Or or I guess generally they like to build shit then knock it down. 
  • 6fsn said:
    @6fsn Depending on the age. Experiments they'd think are interesting I think is what he's hoping to start with. Would kids enjoy something that's simple {cornstarch & water - right mix and it's a liquid when you run your finger through it slowly, but if you punch it it'll be a solid} or is that too easy?

He's thinking stuff that parents may wanna also try out at home with the kids - so parent and kid friendly

ps - YAY KIDS IN SCHOOL!!!
    So these are for him to do with other people’s kids? For parents to take home? Is this some sort of project or is he just trying to be a cool adult?  I’m so confused. 

I mean, my kids don’t really want to do science experiments ever. The closest they came was my 4 yo enjoyed mixing colors for all of 10 minutes. If you just want a fun activity start investing in magnatiles (or their knock off). My kids having been building with them for years. 

Or or I guess generally they like to build shit then knock it down. 
    More like try out on Youtube. It's something he would love kids (in general) to get into, and if it works great, if not then oh well. It's stuff he'll try with our kid as well. He was a big Bill Nye fan, and I was into Beakman's World {people that made science fun}

What is this magnatiles? I've never heard of that :)
  • ahhh so M wants to make science YouTube videos for kids? 
  • Oooooooohhhhh. I was so confused and overly invested. He wants a YouTube channel for kids to watch him doing experiments!  My kids are out. Only one watches you tube and that’s all sports fails. 

Magnatiles are expensive magnetic tiles you build with. They are fantastic. My kids will nicely build together for hours. They get pretty elaborate too. Have him build stuff and knock it down. 
  • kvruns said:
    ahhh so M wants to make science YouTube videos for kids? 
    6fsn said:
    Oooooooohhhhh. I was so confused and overly invested. He wants a YouTube channel for kids to watch him doing experiments!  My kids are out. Only one watches you tube and that’s all sports fails. 

Magnatiles are expensive magnetic tiles you build with. They are fantastic. My kids will nicely build together for hours. They get pretty elaborate too. Have him build stuff and knock it down. 
    Yes! Sorry I probably didn't explain myself properly {oops!}
    He's gonna hop on my channel to test out the audience a bit, then - depending on how things go - he may make his own channel.

Magnatiles sound neat! I've never heard of them but I may have to check it out :)
  • levioosa said:
    kvruns said:
    @charlotte989875 for about a year I used to do all of my weekday runs at 5am (or maybe it was 530) on the TM at the gym (because I wanted to go to certain workout classes at night). Once i got into the routine it wasn't a big deal but then again I've never been one to be able to sleep in past like 630 so it wasn't a huge deal. But once I got out of the habit it then became a big chore to get up that early for anything. 
    I love sleeping. I would sleep all the time if I could, which is probably why I'm having trouble getting up to run in the morning. I'm a terrible sleeper so the early morning just doesn't seem to work for me. My gym also doesn't open until 8, so that's not enough time to get a run in and get to work on time. 

Maybe once it's nicer out I'll try to run in the morning. The treadmill is getting really old. 
    This is me. I am just not a morning person. It's incredible how different I feel even waking up at 8 compared to 6. I have a friend who wakes up at 4 am every morning so she can go to the gym before work. I can't do it. Just can't. 

Today I have school. I'm still a little sick but I feel way better. The cats are assholes though and they kept us up all night. And Jack has figured out how to open closed doors. Noooo. 
    Boo to still being sick.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I just can't do it. Good for people who can, not for me. 
    I have a hard enough time getting up and getting ready. I can't imagine being up earlier to work out lol not for me either
    Yup. I can get up, take care of what needs to get done, and get to work in the morning. But honestly if it's sleep or exercise I'm picking sleep every time. 
  • Feel better soon, @levioosa!

Ice on the roads in Houston today. My office was closed. Our boss indicated that we will have to make up lost time though.

• there's a startup in Detroit that makes GIANT magnatiles.  THey'reNOT as unbreakable as they claim if they're in heavy heavy use (say, museum use :P), but they're damn awesome.
    But spendy.

https://mypanelcraft.myshopify.com/

• Weird question for those with kids

M is looking at youtube stuff. More science related things, fun things that kids would enjoy.

What kind of stuff would your kids be in to? {I know there's a variety of ages here, so everything welcome!

SITB - Wolverine likes science, but wouldn't want to watch YouTube videos. She'd rather just do the experiement herself or with one of us. She has a microscope and some different "STEM" kits - i got her one for Christmas that was making bath bombs, and another where she made lip gloss. She also has a "gross" science kit - it came with the equipment, but the supplies are mostly household items. We've done a bunch of experiments in the gross science book. The bath bombs have been her favorite because she gets to use what she made, and it's not as complex as the lip gloss. I will probably get some more supplies for her to make larger ones.  She's 7. 

Related - I bought a rock tumbler (I wanted one when I was a kid, and now I'm an adult with a means to buy one) - so Wolverine is super excited to see how that turns out. She also wants to go out and look for rocks to put in. We may do a trip to Arkansas over Memorial Day and visit Crater of Diamonds State Park again - in that case, we'll be able to bring home a bunch of nice jasper and agate. I also signed up for some jewelry/metalcrafting classes next month with the eventual goal of designing and making my own pieces. I bought a few opals from Australia, and have plans to set them after I take some classes. 
  • @*Barbie* Those kits sound neat {100% I would do both also lol}
    Would you watch youtube vids for neat experiments and then try with Wolverine?

{side note: being an adult means buying all the things you didn't get as a kid ;)! }

{side note: being an adult means buying all the things you didn't get as a kid ;)! }
    Someday I will buy the trampoline I always wanted as a kid. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    Feel better soon, @levioosa!

Ice on the roads in Houston today. My office was closed. Our boss indicated that we will have to make up lost time though.

Yeah, that's lame.  It was the same thing where I live yesterday.  All bridges in/out of NOLA were closed.  The freeway was closed.  Almost all the roads had a surface more like an ice skating rink.  A state of emergency was declared by the governor and people were strongly encouraged to stay off the roads.

Oh!  But did my office even close?  No.  No they didn't.  There was at least no judgments for people who took the day off (almost everyone, including me), but a vacation day needs to be used.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Livin' the dream! We don't have the space for one lol

Now I'm going to be the mean Debbie Downer on trampolines, lol.  It is shocking how dangerous they are.  They resulted in over 1M emergency room visits, in the US alone, between 2002-2011.  On average, a few people die every year in the US from a trampoline injury.

A few years back, I was planning to buy a house that already had tenants in it.  There was a trampoline in the front yard.  An open front yard.  Where any random, neighborhood child could walk over and play on it.  I actually put it in my PA that the seller would need to have the trampoline removed by the tenants before closing.  I was not going to own that house for even one day with a big, ole' "come over and sue me" item in the front yard ((shudder)).  As an aside, I ended up not buying the house after the inspection anyway.  At first glance it appeared to be in good condition.  It was not, lol.  And that's what inspections are for. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy is that affecting both Baton Rouge and New Orleans?   Curious from a work perspective.

The cold is affecting shipments which is a pain when so many customers are in the name of JIT and now learned the hard way that mother nature doesn't care. 

My sore throat is a cough.   It's just a cold and it's not the worst one I've had but I want it to go away. 
  • banana468 said:
    @short+sassy is that affecting both Baton Rouge and New Orleans?   Curious from a work perspective.

The cold is affecting shipments which is a pain when so many customers are in the name of JIT and now learned the hard way that mother nature doesn't care. 

My sore throat is a cough.   It's just a cold and it's not the worst one I've had but I want it to go away. 

I would assume it does.  If anything, BR might be even worse off because they are about 60 miles further north and they typically have even colder temps than we do.

But still not (usually) cold enough to have a "salting the roads" process in place.  At least that is my guess.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Now I'm going to be the mean Debbie Downer on trampolines, lol.  It is shocking how dangerous they are.  They resulted in over 1M emergency room visits, in the US alone, between 2002-2011.  On average, a few people die every year in the US from a trampoline injury.

A few years back, I was planning to buy a house that already had tenants in it.  There was a trampoline in the front yard.  An open front yard.  Where any random, neighborhood child could walk over and play on it.  I actually put it in my PA that the seller would need to have the trampoline removed by the tenants before closing.  I was not going to own that house for even one day with a big, ole' "come over and sue me" item in the front yard ((shudder)).  As an aside, I ended up not buying the house after the inspection anyway.  At first glance it appeared to be in good condition.  It was not, lol.  And that's what inspections are for. 

You're ruining my 20+ year old gymnastic dreams.  

But seriously, I know they're really dangerous, but they are so fun. My H would think I'm crazy for wanting one, but it would be awesome. 

Any house we buy though we're fully fencing the yard (front and back). I'm too worried about the dog getting out. And apparently need to be worried about neighborhood kids getting injured on my trampoline. 

Front yard? Who in the heck would want on in their front yard?

ask me about my collection of LEGO pirate ships.... 
    or LEGOs in general. I had a lot as a kid, but I have a lot more now. 

@short+sassy that's some bullshit that they wouldn't close the office and effectively force people to take a vacation day. Ours was closed for 2 days, and we just worked from home. Then again, i found out that our contract staff didn't get any compensation when the office was closed for Harvey last year, which is also bullshit. Even if they didn't cover the FT hourly rate, they could have paid something, or found a way to get them an unemployment benefit. (formal furlough?) people had enough to worry about with their houses and families without having to worry about not getting paid for 2 weeks. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    @*Barbie* Those kits sound neat {100% I would do both also lol}

ask me about my collection of LEGO pirate ships.... 
    or LEGOs in general. I had a lot as a kid, but I have a lot more now. 

@short+sassy that's some bullshit that they wouldn't close the office and effectively force people to take a vacation day. Ours was closed for 2 days, and we just worked from home. Then again, i found out that our contract staff didn't get any compensation when the office was closed for Harvey last year, which is also bullshit. Even if they didn't cover the FT hourly rate, they could have paid something, or found a way to get them an unemployment benefit. (formal furlough?) people had enough to worry about with their houses and families without having to worry about not getting paid for 2 weeks. 

I've "heard" the company sets aside 1 week payroll/year in their budget, to pay people for up to 1 week in the event of bad weather.  Though, it is really more designed for hurricanes.

Their parameters for it are 1) a mandatory evacuation of NOLA and/or 2) power at the building out for more than a few hours.

They are very old school.  Nobody works from home and, except for some of the project managers, nobody can even access the networks from home to do work from there anyway. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I always said I would buy a trampoline when I had a house. But then I had a house with a backyard that wouldn't work. My brother had one at their house (pre-kid) and I think I jumped on it once but then thought I'd probably hurt myself. My H wants nothing to do with one ever.