Wedding Woes

Stop going or start paying for your own room.

Dear Prudence,

My parents like to plan (and pay for) big family vacations each year. These trips include me (a 30-year-old woman) and my brother, with whom I’m not especially close. This is nice, since I’m just out of grad school and can’t afford such trips myself. But my parents consistently book one bed for me and my brother to share, sometimes with all four of us in one hotel room in order to save money. This much togetherness, especially having to share a bed with my (tall) brother, causes me a lot of discomfort and anxiety (even though there is no history of abuse to justify such a reaction). For the past few trips I’ve been lucky that there was a couch I could sleep on in the room. Am I right to think it is unusual for my parents to expect adult siblings to share a bed? Since I am not paying for any of it, do I have any grounds to raise this issue? Another family trip to visit an elderly relative is approaching, and I am dreading this situation. Should I just accept that discomfort is sometimes simply unavoidable? Try to get out of any future trips until I find a job and can book a room for myself? Dig into my savings in order to book a separate room and preserve my peace of mind?

—Discomfited

Re: Stop going or start paying for your own room.

• Stop going on the trips.   Tell them that you can't afford your own room and appreciate the gesture but it's not in the cards right now.

Or save up and get your own room at a cheaper hotel.

I stopped sleeping in the same bed as my brother on vacations when I was 10 so there's no way I'd do it at 30.  

• She can pack extra pillows and blankets and sleep on the floor of the hotel room.  Or invest in a small blow-up mattress.  Or (I think) most hotels have cots available.
    Most hotels charge a fee for a rollaway bed, but it's MUCH cheaper than the cost of a hotel room. 
  • Yes this is weird. No it’s not on your parents to pay for a different arrangement. Book your own room, or don’t go. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I’m with the LW on her sentence “Am I right to think it is unusual for my parents to expect adult siblings to share a bed?”.  I’m 33 and my brother is 30, and the last time we shared a bed...I don’t even know.  That’s strange to me.  And forget the bed, I wouldn’t even want to be in a hotel room with them all.  The beauty of this is that LW can either get her own room or skip the trips if she can’t afford to.  
  • Even if LW and brother weren't sharing a bed and only sharing a room, LW may still not be thrilled.

Not that it's a bad thing cuz, you know .... privacy. But like pps said, LW should either not go or get their own room.
  • eileenrob said:
    I’m with the LW on her sentence “Am I right to think it is unusual for my parents to expect adult siblings to share a bed?”.  I’m 33 and my brother is 30, and the last time we shared a bed...I don’t even know.  That’s strange to me.  And forget the bed, I wouldn’t even want to be in a hotel room with them all.  The beauty of this is that LW can either get her own room or skip the trips if she can’t afford to.  

Oh yeah I agree completely.

My sister and I (30 and 34) are super close and travel together a lot. We try not to, but occasionally we'll share a bed. Even that is uncomfortable for us. I couldn't imagine sleeping with my brother!

I wanted to look for a Christmas Vacation gif with Audrey talking about how sick it is to sleep with her brother. But I didn't want to google anything with "sleeping with brother" in it.

giphy.com might be safe to look {maybe with Christmas Vacation instead of 'sleeping with brother' lmao}
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    eileenrob said:

My sister and I (30 and 34) are super close and travel together a lot. We try not to, but occasionally we'll share a bed. Even that is uncomfortable for us. I couldn't imagine sleeping with my brother!

I wanted to look for a Christmas Vacation gif with Audrey talking about how sick it is to sleep with her brother. But I didn't want to google anything with "sleeping with brother" in it.

eileenrob said:

Lmao that’d be an..interesting..search!  I also have two sisters and we’ve shared (queen/king) beds in a pinch, but to me it’s not ideal.  LW’s whole story is a little strange.  8-9 years ago my parents, siblings and I flew to San Fran for my coudin’s wedding.  My parents obviously shared a room, my sisters didn’t mind sharing a bed so booked a room w one king sized bed, and my brother and I booked a room w two queens.  I couldn’t have imagined the six of us all in one room like LW describes.

• Obviously if LW is uncomfortable she just shouldn't go. 

HOWEVER, I think it is so outrageously strange that the parents are comfortable with their grown children sleeping together.  Like, that wouldn't even be a question for my fam that we'd get multiple rooms (or at the very least reserve a room with a pullout couch or cot).  

• Casadena said:

Obviously if LW is uncomfortable she just shouldn't go. 

HOWEVER, I think it is so outrageously strange that the parents are comfortable with their grown children sleeping together.  Like, that wouldn't even be a question for my fam that we'd get multiple rooms (or at the very least reserve a room with a pullout couch or cot).  

Yeah.   It's just weird to me.   I expressed that as something I didn't like in my youth.  

By the time we took family vacations and I was older (maybe 11 or 12) we had two beds for the two kids.  
  • FIRST. WORLD. PROBLEMS.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm with you, mrsconn. LW is freaking 30 years old. Grow a backbone (and get a freaking job, but that's a different problem).
    You're just being rude. She said she was a graduate student. Do you have any idea how expensive and time consuming it is to go to grad school? She probably HAS a job that she's using to PAY FOR SCHOOL.
  • I'm with you, mrsconn. LW is freaking 30 years old. Grow a backbone (and get a freaking job, but that's a different problem).
    You're just being rude. She said she was a graduate student. Do you have any idea how expensive and time consuming it is to go to grad school? She probably HAS a job that she's using to PAY FOR SCHOOL.

Well, LW did say "until I find a job" so that implied to me that she does not currently have one. She also said that she's recently out of school, so I'm assuming the time commitment isn't relevant anymore.

But you are correct - I have no idea what grad school entails, monetarily or otherwise.

Shrug. I might be rude. Either way, though, LW should find some way to not have to sleep with her brother or learn to deal with it if she cannot afford a hotel room, for whatever reason, and wants to go on these trips.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • LW needs to "become an adult in the non-age sense"...  Saying to her parents "We're adults - it creeps me out to have to sleep in the same bed WITH MY BROTHER, please make sure there's at least bunk beds or separate sleeping arrangements" is a good boundary to put in place IMO because hotels do offer this without much if any added cost or spring for the roll away or camping air mattress if they're driving that she can bring along with her.  It's a good boundary to set because she is 30 after all...
  • MesmrEwe said:
    LW needs to "become an adult in the non-age sense"...  Saying to her parents "We're adults - it creeps me out to have to sleep in the same bed WITH MY BROTHER, please make sure there's at least bunk beds or separate sleeping arrangements" is a good boundary to put in place IMO because hotels do offer this without much if any added cost or spring for the roll away or camping air mattress if they're driving that she can bring along with her.  It's a good boundary to set because she is 30 after all...
    This is where I'm at.  Has LW told her parents any of this?  If she has, and that's still their terms, then she has many of the options listed above but first and foremost she needs to tell her parents it makes her uncomfortable.  I can't imagine brother is fine with this situation either.