Not Engaged Yet

Ring Help XP

Hi guys! I have lurked on this page for so long and am finally able to start utilizing it (as I am pretty sure I am about to get engaged).
My boyfriend recently asked me to go ring shopping with him to find out the type of rings I like, so he is able to go buy one! 

Obviously this is a new thing for more, and would love to know all of your inside advice on what I should be looking for. I know everyones style and tastes are different, and I've done some research over the past few days on color quality, and carats, but I just thought I would check and see if there is something else I should be asking a jeweler about while I'm looking! Thanks in advance for all your help! I'm so excited! 

Re: Ring Help XP

• levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2018
    I just picked out my ring. My word of advice is to try on multiple styles/cuts because you never know what will look best/you’ll end up loving. I thought for sure I’d end up with an emerald cut or princess, but I picked a round solitaire with a tapered pave band. I had only picked it out of the line up to try something “different” and it ended up being my favorite. 

• I will definitely keep that in mind! I feel like I know what style I want, but I have no idea what will look best! Thanks!!
  • I would suggest going to multiple places to try things on and don’t buy anything right away. Agree with trying on everything to narrow down what you like and don’t like. 

Put some thought into your normal maintenance and routines. If you don’t normally wear jewelry you might be better with something simple. If you are in a profession like nursing, you may have restriction on what you can wear or how It will fit in day to day. 
  • Definitely agree with PP. You should try on/look at different cuts, styles and metals before picking "the one" out. I went in wanting a big diamond, white gold, etc. I ended up falling in love with a nontraditional rose gold ring with a nontraditional wavy band and multiple diamonds. I had never even considered rose gold until I tried on that ring. Also, make sure your partner is on the same page as you. My FI and I were pretty in sync about what we liked and didn't like when we went ring shopping. I was also dead set on an emerald cut, but ended up with a round, which looks way different. Shop around and see what you like; you might be surprised!