Wedding Woes

Happy Tax Day!

unless you owe....then there's nothing happy about it!

Last night I went and got my oil changed while H made some awesome orange chicken. Then we went and saw Rampage 3d.  H is a BIG BIG fan of 3d.  To me, it's a waste of money, but this one was actually pretty good.  Also, seeing The Rock for 1.5 hours was pretty awesome. 

Re: Happy Tax Day!

• We owed this year and it totally sucks. We've never owed before. 

Other than that it's still snowing in Buffalo and I am OVER IT. 
  • LOL, we get until April 30th, unless something goes wrong with the computer system (again), then they'll give us until May 5th. 

@charlotte989875 - I'm just over the border from you guys and you can keep your bloody snow.
  • We do owe and filed last night. Quite a bit due to H running his own business last summer. Having a baby did not help NEAR as much as we had hoped. 
  • MIL & SFIL come back from another 8 weeks in St. Croix today and they've been fishing for an invitation to stay at our house for a couple days.

There's apparently snow at their house (shocking for northern WI, I know). So they don't want to go back up yet. Thankfully H was able to dodge them until they found somewhere else to stay. We don't mind having them but we both think it's weird that they'd be just hanging out at our house all day while we're at work.

When I did our taxes, I kept getting that the state owed us $5,200. There's no freaking way. We did the math 1,000 times and kept checking and checking. We finally just bought the state turbo tax. The math and everything was correct the whole time; I was using this super old calculator from my mom's house and the spot for the first digit was messed up, making a 3 look like a 5. I bet my mom laughed at us driving ourselves nuts for like 2 hours.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • We owe Fed but get a refund on the state and ultimately get back more so it's not so bad. 

We heard that DH's grandmother may have had a stroke.   No other information is really available but she's had a fall, doesn't have control over her legs and has numbness in an arm.  

His family (I know it's my family too) has had a rough year and the matriarch of the family has held so strong.   I'm saying a prayer. 
  • We do owe and filed last night. Quite a bit due to H running his own business last summer. Having a baby did not help NEAR as much as we had hoped. 
    I was annoyed that even though I'm the primary earner, I'm not the one who can claim child care expenses. Thankfully that changed this year because FI is back in school so I can claim both child expenses and a percentage of his tuition. 
  • @banana468 sorry to hear about grandma, hope she's okay overall.

We ended up owing the Feds $100 and getting like $500 back from state, so a wash overall.  Had we gone to a CPA we probably could have been better but ain't nobody got time for that.

Today is crazy at work!  We are launching a new website, online ordering system, POS and menus at work - plus we have two full-service events, and five drop-off events.  

The ice storms took out my parents power so they're hanging at our house with the dog and cats and I keep getting photo updates which is cute.  My moms vision is definitelygetting worse though, so it was a rough drive in emotionally.  I'm in all black (events today) and she couldn't find me in the room before I left.

• We owe.  No more daycare screwed us.  Womp, womp.  We've made adjustments and should break even next year.  

I'm doing better today than I was yesterday.  I am tired because DH and I were up way past our bedtime.  I'm getting ready to go for another meeting about DefConn's progress in school.  Wondering what they're going to recommend for the next steps.  

Other than that, worky-work. 
  • levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2018
    Thoughts and hugs for your GMIL @banana468

I got my refund at the beginning of the month. I immediately used it to pay some extra bills. Would have been nice to go on vacation instead. It’s going to be so sad when reality hits, I’m out of school, and I have to pay loans and owe on taxes. 

Clinic again today. I have a 7 page paper due tomorrow that I’ve been struggling to write. I also have a final tomorrow. Then two more days of clinic and I made it through the semester! 

• Prayers for GMIL @banana468.

We are getting a refund but because H was dragging his heels getting all his ducks in a row (and we've been gone a lot) we just mailed it this morning.

I'm pulling stuff together to head up to Chicago this weekend. DD's MIL is hosting a baby shower for her on Saturday. I'm taking more baby/kid stuff from here up there. I told DD that every time I come up I will be bringing more of her childhood things. I have to hold on to sons' things until they have homes with some storage. 

This afternoon I have to take the car into the dealership because something occurred with the electrical system yesterday. It hasn't repeated but I don't want something to happen while I'm on the road/out of town this weekend. Luckily anything that needs to be fixed will still be under warranty. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I always hated the "I'm CEO of the 6 house!" or "I'm a chef, taxi, pediatrician...." tags that moms tend to give themselves.  This morning I had to plan the logistics of 3 kids in 6 sports for the next two months. I feel like I should at least be able to list an associates in logistics.  

I filed taxes awhile ago.  I wasn't sure how things would shake out- DH went from state to public employee, my hours and pay went up, etc.  The biggest PITA was that DH's company was headquartered out of Montreal.

For anyone that knows my IL stories- MILs 70th bday is coming up. My sFIL is supposedly planning the party.  Y'all this is a man who has never made his own plate of food at a party let alone planned a party.  The invite says 5-8 "snacks provided" Who wants to bet snacks are a bowl of nuts and a grocery store cake.  
  • 6fsn said:
    I always hated the "I'm CEO of the 6 house!" or "I'm a chef, taxi, pediatrician...." tags that moms tend to give themselves.  This morning I had to plan the logistics of 3 kids in 6 sports for the next two months. I feel like I should at least be able to list an associates in logistics.  

I filed taxes awhile ago.  I wasn't sure how things would shake out- DH went from state to public employee, my hours and pay went up, etc.  The biggest PITA was that DH's company was headquartered out of Montreal.

For anyone that knows my IL stories- MILs 70th bday is coming up. My sFIL is supposedly planning the party.  Y'all this is a man who has never made his own plate of food at a party let alone planned a party.  The invite says 5-8 "snacks provided" Who wants to bet snacks are a bowl of nuts and a grocery store cake.  
    But what kind of frosting does your local grocer use?
  • 6fsn said:

Snacks from 4-8?  Are they blue haired early birds who eat dinner at 3 o'clock or does  he not get that between 4 and 8 people want....dinner? 

• @banana468 hugs for your GMIL and you and your family!

Just coming up for air briefly. I was off yesterday for Patriot's Day. My first real day for myself in 8.5 months. I went back to bed after H & Babypants left in the morning, went to the gym, took a long-ass shower, caught up on RHONY and had a glass of champagne in my sweatpants. It was glorious. 

Now back to the grind. I'm on a major deadline and am busting a move to be able to send a draft out tomorrow. 
    You definitely deserved a day like this!
  • @CharmedPam, "Happy Tax Day" is an oxymoron.  At least in my household, lol.  OMG, procrastination strikes again.  I want to at least find the cheapest place, probably online, to buy Turbo Tax before all the discounts disappear.  But I'll probably file for an extension because just buying the software will be too draining for me tonight.  I am really that much of a pathetic procrastinator.  Racing just to buy the software, lol.

I put my update in "Monday, Monday".  Because I was out sick from work yesterday, so today is my Monday.  I was surprised to find there were already 20+ posts by 8AM.  It wasn't until I was done with mine that I realized Monday was actually yesterday for the rest of you all.

Confusion over simple things is a good summation of my day, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Like @TrixieJess said, we have until April 30th. Mine and M's are already done.  Would have been done earlier, but M has an RRSP and wanted to get that extra little bit of his contribution this year lol

Next year's taxes are going to be weird. I kinda wish I was back at work before deadline because our tax department would help me out lol

Worst of the ice storm for us was Sunday, unfortunately that also meant we had to go out. It wasn't until late in the day - MIL's bday - so salt trucks were trying to get out. I opted to stay home Monday out of safety.

Otherwise, low-key weekend. Intended on doing cleaning on Saturday but that didn't work out. I had horrible stomach issues, so it was best not to do anything.
    Sunday was cleaning and M did 95% of work bench. Was just about done and realized that he some how lost a 9ft piece of wood {yes, your guess is as good as ours}

My back has been really sore, so I haven't been pushing myself. I still have the bathrooms to clean, and M is doing the tub. I could easily lean over to attempt to clean it, but the scrubbing is just not an option.

Legit, days like these make me glad I'm done in a week and half. I'm tired and sore.
  • Like @TrixieJess said, we have until April 30th. Mine and M's are already done.  Would have been done earlier, but M has an RRSP and wanted to get that extra little bit of his contribution this year lol

Next year's taxes are going to be weird. I kinda wish I was back at work before deadline because our tax department would help me out lol

Worst of the ice storm for us was Sunday, unfortunately that also meant we had to go out. It wasn't until late in the day - MIL's bday - so salt trucks were trying to get out. I opted to stay home Monday out of safety.

Otherwise, low-key weekend. Intended on doing cleaning on Saturday but that didn't work out. I had horrible stomach issues, so it was best not to do anything.
    Sunday was cleaning and M did 95% of work bench. Was just about done and realized that he some how lost a 9ft piece of wood {yes, your guess is as good as ours}

My back has been really sore, so I haven't been pushing myself. I still have the bathrooms to clean, and M is doing the tub. I could easily lean over to attempt to clean it, but the scrubbing is just not an option.

Legit, days like these make me glad I'm done in a week and half. I'm tired and sore.
    If you are getting maternity leave. Make sure you make extra contributions to your personal RRSP (or get M to) otherwise you will get caught in tax hell. EI doesn't take enough taxes off. 

If you are getting maternity leave. Make sure you make extra contributions to your personal RRSP (or get M to) otherwise you will get caught in tax hell. EI doesn't take enough taxes off. 
    Oh for sure!
    I'm technically only off half of the tax year {which helps} My coworker was off for a full tax year and E.I didn't take any taxes off! She owed, so she advised me to check tax deductions.
    {M will be able to claim BabyKitten as a dependent next for 2018 tax year, which will help - and he's gotta make changes to his RRSP dates so he may look at upping amounts going forward too}
  • 6fsn6fsn member

@kimmiinthemitten they love the whipped cream frosting.  Every birthday they ooh and aah over how great it is.  The frosting isn't bad, but the cake itself is awful.

@banana468- It's 5-8, but they're weird about food in general.  I had to convince MIL she didn't have to serve pizza at her mom's funeral from 5-7, but this is ok?

Oh for sure!
    I'm technically only off half of the tax year {which helps} My coworker was off for a full tax year and E.I didn't take any taxes off! She owed, so she advised me to check tax deductions.
    {M will be able to claim BabyKitten as a dependent next for 2018 tax year, which will help - and he's gotta make changes to his RRSP dates so he may look at upping amounts going forward too}
    Technically, it's the lower earner that can claim as the dependent unless you don't earn any money at all. He cannot claim baby kitten as dependent unless you are incapacitated, don't earn any money, or go back to school. 

Oh for sure!
    Technically, it's the lower earner that can claim as the dependent unless you don't earn any money at all. He cannot claim baby kitten as dependent unless you are incapacitated, don't earn any money, or go back to school. 
    Really?
    Cuz I recently had a discussion on this with our tax department about going forward. I'm lower income, so I'll get CCB and can claim daycare - when she goes - but he can claim her.
  • @6fsn, I just imagine that they will not have a lot of people who stay.   5-8 w/snacks says, "Come for a cocktail and GTFO."  I wouldn't imagine anyone staying for 3 hours.  

Is their group known for more of a floating open house vibe or are they just not really great party planners? 

Oh for sure!
    Really?
    Cuz I recently had a discussion on this with our tax department about going forward. I'm lower income, so I'll get CCB and can claim daycare - when she goes - but he can claim her.
    I would double check with your accountant. I cannot claim our son as a dependent because I'm the higher earner. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    banana468 said:
    @6fsn, I just imagine that they will not have a lot of people who stay.   5-8 w/snacks says, "Come for a cocktail and GTFO."  I wouldn't imagine anyone staying for 3 hours.  

Is their group known for more of a floating open house vibe or are they just not really great party planners? 
    It's byob. The only thing I've really seen them plan is two funerals and holidays. Holidays are always a shitshow

Oh for sure!
    Really?
    I would double check with your accountant. I cannot claim our son as a dependent because I'm the higher earner. 
    I shall be. I was under the understanding that the higher one claimed because it would be a tax deduction
  • 6fsn said:
    banana468 said:
    @6fsn, I just imagine that they will not have a lot of people who stay.   5-8 w/snacks says, "Come for a cocktail and GTFO."  I wouldn't imagine anyone staying for 3 hours.  

It's byob. The only thing I've really seen them plan is two funerals and holidays. Holidays are always a shitshow
    Yikes! Sounds like it's BYOD. 
  • I had my taxes filed back in February, b/c I'm extra AF, let's be honest.

K's mom always did theirs.  I kind of side-eyed that nonsense at 25, so K was all prepped to do theirs (theirs is super easy).  Then, the homework load hit and so...I did K's taxes last Saturday.  Granted, I made them sit and watch over my shoulder, explaining everything.  At that point, it was just "this needs to be accomplished so you do those online questions about I'll do this."

Turned in my special events permit to the City this weekend. Received the first e-mails from the City with all of their special questions and shennanigans that are never available to give anyone until they e-mail you.  I have a folder on the Google Drive called, "Special Event Permit PITA" where I save blanks of all the damn extra documents and filled out versions for the year they match.  But they always manage to have something new for me to do.  The worst part is usually those are me relying on other people to get their crap finalized too.  Blerg.

Funny story:  I was bitching about someone who told me I get "too worked up and stressed out over Pride, you should ask for more help b/c when I did Phoenix Pride it was so easy and free."  I looked at the person and just said, "Do you think there isn't someone exactly like me in charge of Phoenix Pride?  B/c I'm telling you right now, you're incredibly wrong if you think there isn't."  Only, a bit more colorfully because I was really mad.  In reciting this story to my graphic designer (who happens to be a PoC), he busted out laughing and said, "You sound like a tiny white Samuel L. Jackson right now."  I'm okay with taking this as a compliment.

Oh for sure!
    Really?
    I shall be. I was under the understanding that the higher one claimed because it would be a tax deduction
    You claim the dependent to be able to claim things like CCB, HST, Trillium, day care expenses, camps, etc. It's always the lower earner unless there's other circumstances like the lower earner is a student or not living with the other parent. 
  • Whew!  Breezing in quickly!  I lurked earlier today, but it's been a busy one!  We filed our taxes back in February and got a super awesome return thanks to our electric car.  We get a small amount back from the state, but we have been audited by the state the last few years and they have asked us to pay $35 this year and last.  I have no idea what I'm doing wrong on our state taxes.  But in the end, we still get a few dollars back when you count in the money they want.  I just wish I knew what I'm claiming that they don't accept, so I can just get it right every year!

My parents are coming over for dinner tonight.  My mom said she missed DD, which made me realize she hasn't seen her in a few months! Whoops! Maybe even her birthday at the end of February!  We missed Easter dinner with DD's hand, foot and mouth.  Much different than when MIL says she misses DD, after seeing her 2 days before...

Banana - Prayers for GMIL.

6 - Go to that party and report back!

Charmed - We saw Rampage on Sunday too.  It was pretty good! 

Sparkle - Yay for a you day!  You deserve it!