Wedding Woes
Options

Privacy and self-protection is not 'lying by omission'.

Dear Prudence,

My girlfriend of eight years had an affair with a married acquaintance of ours, “Konstantin.” They both claim it never got physical but promised me and Konstantin’s wife that they’d stop seeing each other, then continued to do so behind our backs. After I broke up with her, my ex tried unsuccessfully to get Konstantin to leave his wife for her (Konstantin and his wife have two small kids).

I have avoided talking with friends about this—partly due to shame but mostly because we share many close friends. I do not want to burden mutual friends with this dirty laundry and make them feel like they have to choose which of us to invite to parties. I don’t need them to dislike Konstantin on my behalf—he has some good qualities, although for obvious reasons I resent him. Konstantin and I avoid each other socially, and I don’t think anyone has noticed, but it has gotten to the point where I feel like I am telling a lie by omission to my friends. Which course of action causes the least harm?

—Stuck

Re: Privacy and self-protection is not 'lying by omission'.

• Options
    You don't need to air your dirty laundry if you don't want to.   Even a simple, "I'm not comfortable talking about it" can preserve your sanity.
  • Options
    I think LW 100% gets to call the shots on what is/isn't disclosed to mutual friends.  I applaud him for his choice to keep this private.  I don't think he should lie to anyone but, if the subject comes up, I think he can avoid like @banana468 suggested, if he doesn't want to discuss it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's none of their business. If you want that to stay private, keep it private and don't feel the least bit bad about it.

More importantly, who the hell picks "Konstantin" as a fake name?!?!?!
    Maybe it's not fake and this is his way of outing the whole thing to his friends? 
  • Options
    It's none of their business. If you want that to stay private, keep it private and don't feel the least bit bad about it.

I was laughing about that also!

I also wanted to chastise the LW that it is spelled Constantine.  With a "C" not a "K" and an "e" at the end.  But maybe that is all part of the joke.

The "K" did especially make me laugh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

This is the only thing I got out of this letter.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I know this is my baggage showing through, but this guy is an asshole.  He isn't being noble, he TOTALLY WANTS TO TELL, he just feels shitty about wanting to tell and wants validation that it's okay.  Hell, just TELL it already.  You'll basically be making people choose sides, people will reach out to her for her version of the story and it'll be done.  

Get  off your goddamn moral high ground.

Image result for baggage unloaded gif
  • Options
    The "Konstantin" name reminds me of Seinfeld's George Costanza.  I think there was an episode where his last name was turned into a song of sorts with a play on words.  Can't-stand-ya. Maybe LW is a Seinfeld fan and thought he was being funny!
  • Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2018

This is the only thing I got out of this letter.
    Pretty sure Prudie makes up the fake names
  • Options

I was laughing about that also!

I also wanted to chastise the LW that it is spelled Constantine.  With a "C" not a "K" and an "e" at the end.  But maybe that is all part of the joke.

The "K" did especially make me laugh.

I think that Konstantin is the Russian spelling, actually.

LW - Your friends aren't owed all the details of your life.