Registry and Gift Forum

Bridal Shower gifts (etiquette) for small family only/destination type wedding?

I am having a small family only (50 guests, no bridal party) wedding out of state. 

My mom and best friend want to host a bridal shower in my home state so I can celebrate with people who I cannot be at the wedding. I love the idea of celebrating with friends and family who cannot attend the wedding, but I feel strange about the gift situation. 
I have on the invite that it is a family only wedding out of state, but what should I do about gifts? Should I say "No gifts expected" since most of these people are not invited to the wedding? 
Or, should I include registry info? My mom says it is a must to include registry info for a shower and my friends and family will be happy to receive a shower invite, it is a way of including them. (More traditional approach for a larger wedding...)

What is proper nowadays for a bridal shower for a family only/destination wedding?

Re: Bridal Shower gifts (etiquette) for small family only/destination type wedding?

• I am having a small family only (50 guests, no bridal party) wedding out of state. 

My mom and best friend want to host a bridal shower in my home state so I can celebrate with people who I cannot be at the wedding. I love the idea of celebrating with friends and family who cannot attend the wedding, but I feel strange about the gift situation. 
    I have on the invite that it is a family only wedding out of state, but what should I do about gifts? Should I say "No gifts expected" since most of these people are not invited to the wedding? 
    Or, should I include registry info? My mom says it is a must to include registry info for a shower and my friends and family will be happy to receive a shower invite, it is a way of including them. (More traditional approach for a larger wedding...)

What is proper nowadays for a bridal shower for a family only/destination wedding?

I answered your other post; generally if you're going to post on multiple boards, we ask that you put "XP" in your title.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I am new to the discussion boards and did not know to put XP in Title. I just want to get responses from various boards. Thank you for your suggestions
  • Thank your mom and friend for offering to host a shower.  Make it very clear that the ONLY guests that can be included are those actually invited to the wedding. 

A shower is indeed the only event where it is appropriate to include a registry.  However, it is absolutely wrong to invite anyone not invited to the wedding.  The shower is a pre-WEDDING event for guests invited to the wedding.

If you want to celebrate with others, you can absolutely host something AFTER your wedding for those not invited.  However, it should not have any wedding trappings attached to it. 
  • The cardinal rule of showers is that everyone invited must be invited to the wedding. It is not an opportunity to celebrate with people you are not inviting to the actual event.

It's fine for the shower hosts to include registry info with the shower invitations. The whole purpose of a shower is to give gifts. If you don't want gifts, decline the shower.