Wedding Woes

A self-aware LW for once.

Dear Prudence,

My mother married and had me while she was in high school. She is the bravest woman I know, and she raised my brother and me by herself, put herself through college, and has finally married the love of her life after divorcing my alcoholic father and waste-of-space stepfather. Recently, she discovered she was pregnant again at 41. I am 23 and three months pregnant with my first child. Everyone else in my family, even my younger brother, is happy about our concurrent pregnancies, openly celebrating and making jokes. I feel so weird about this. I get flashes of jealousy and resentment toward my mother and her pregnancy. She obviously is very focused on her own health and family right now, but I feel abandoned. It’s as if this baby has cheated me out of having a mom, or my mother has betrayed me by getting pregnant. I hate myself for feeling this way. It is irrational and petty and hateful, and I can’t even tell anyone about it! I don’t know what to do. I don’t know if it is hormones, or if I have always been an awful person. My husband has commented on the mood swings I have after I talk to my mother, but I lie and just say I am tired. I feel trapped. How do I stop this? How do I get these feelings under control and out of my head? My mother and I are both pregnant, married to lovely men, in good health, and happily employed. I have nothing to be upset over, but I am, and I hate it.

—Pregnant and Resentful

Re: A self-aware LW for once.

• Maybe just acknowledge that you're feeling this way, that it's irrational and unfair, and that you don't intend to act on it at all will help?

I think sometimes just saying these things out loud (not to the mother of course, maybe to your husband) and acknowledge that you're feeling them, helps the feelings to subside. 

• This is 100% what therapy is for. 
    All of this.   
  • Agreed with therapy, but I feel jealousy is normal. You want to be excited for your mother, but at the same way LW could feel she's unintentionally stealing her thunder.

Pregnancy hormones. They're weird.
  • I usually agree therapy is the answer for most Prudie letters, but really what is a therapist going to tell LW that she doesn't already acknowledge here? LW is admitting she knows these feelings are ridiculous, that they're unfounded, and she's not acting on them or expecting her mother to do anything differently. 

I do think finding someone she can vent these feelings to might be helpful at least with getting them off her chest. Maybe it's her husband, or a close friend that will listen and not judge her. Maybe a therapist. But I think keeping it all in and not telling anyone is just making it harder. 
  • IMO, I think in therapy she can start to talk about her frustrations and work through how she's feeling.   Maybe it can mean directing her words to her mom in a constructive way or maybe it's coming up with an outlet for her anger.   

• I can understand the LW feelings.  I think many women in a similar situation would at least feel a twinge of some of that.

I also appreciate that the LW realizes there is some irrationality to her feelings and knows that the main thing is that she and her mother are healthy, happily married, and life is good for everyone (overall).

I also think the LW needs to stop beating herself up over her feelings.  It's probably not a good idea to express her feelings to her family members.  But it's sad she hasn't leveled with her H about them.  She needs somewhere safe to discuss them.  Vent them.  Hopefully get them out of her system.

As other PPs mentioned, therapy is an excellent call.  But I also think her H should know what she is going through.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I usually agree therapy is the answer for most Prudie letters, but really what is a therapist going to tell LW that she doesn't already acknowledge here? LW is admitting she knows these feelings are ridiculous, that they're unfounded, and she's not acting on them or expecting her mother to do anything differently. 

I do think finding someone she can vent these feelings to might be helpful at least with getting them off her chest. Maybe it's her husband, or a close friend that will listen and not judge her. Maybe a therapist. But I think keeping it all in and not telling anyone is just making it harder. 
    I'm thinking therapy for the sheer fact of just making sure there isn't a deeper issue LW isn't realizing. Also it's an unbiased opinion as an outsider to say "yes your feelings are valid, but maybe look at it as x,y,z" kinda deal.

Sometimes people need that
  • This reminds me of the few times I've gotten jealous.  I mean, my jealousy is a damn ugly thing and completely 100% has always been irrational and I know it.  I also just accept that it's an emotion I'm capable of, that it is ugly and irrational and it's okay that I'm having it, as long as I don't act on it.  Sounds like LW is doing the same.  I do find my jealously will lessen; I'm not sure how pregnancy hormones would affect that, but I feel like she just needs to give herself some space, time, and forgive herself a little.
  • IMO - Pregnancy hormones...  If the Mom is 41, she's still young herself and this being a first for her there's the "How you think it's going to be vs. reality sometimes bites the big one"...  This is a good one for bring over the Ben & Jerry's and have that "I want my Mommy" pity party.  Or, line up some alone time with her Mom and I'm guessing if she opens up with the "Mom I'm struggling because I want to be sharing my pregnancy with you" most Moms are going to be great about working through feelings together.  OTOH - this is what a great therapist is for because if she doesn't have that emotional support now that she's recognizing the need for, I can see this becoming the setup for a case of PPA/PPD because often that can be headed off by having that emotional support even if only from a therapist to get the feelings out while figuring out a new normal.