Wedding Woes
Options

Ugh. Saying they're 'busy' is age-appropriate for now.

Dear Prudence,

Last year I came out as trans. My wife, our child, and our friends have inundated me with love and support. Our families, not so much. We both come from conservative religious backgrounds. Immediately after I came out, they stopped returning our calls and texts. Some deleted us from their social media. We were not invited over for the holidays, and none of them showed up to our 6-year-old son’s birthday party. My son keeps asking for them, and we don’t know what to tell him about why Nana and Papa no longer visit weekly, or why everyone was absent for his birthday and Christmas.

We assumed our parents would have trouble coping but never thought they would abandon their grandchild. We are aware that we could always go to their homes to try to start a dialogue, but we both agree there’s no use in trying to force someone to have a relationship with us. We’d been putting off our son’s questions with “They’re just very busy,” in the hopes that they’d come around, but it’s been almost a year. What should we tell him? Would the truth impede my son’s ability to reconnect with his family in the future? Should we even want that? While most of my transition has gone better than expected, this one thing has been filling me with guilt. I flip-flop between sadness for my son not having a large family like I did and being relieved that he won’t have to experience their brand of conditional love.

—My Family Abandoned My Son Because I Came Out as Trans

Re: Ugh. Saying they're 'busy' is age-appropriate for now.

• Options
    ^^^ Agreed.  Furthermore, I hope that LW and family are in therapy to deal with this.  Even though they have support, it's still a big change to everything in their lives and family.  I'd definitely bring this up to the therapist to deal with it myself and get some tips to handle it in an age-appropriate way with their kids.  

Also, if LW knows the family dynamics...this couldn't have been a surprise...?  Maybe the swiftness of rejection of their child is what's throwing them off? 
  • Options
    This is heartbreaking, for LW and the grandson. 

Deflect until you can't any longer. I'm assuming your son understands that things have changed with one of his parents; when deflecting doesn't work maybe explain that the grandparents have beliefs that your family doesn't agree with and right now that means you can't see each other. That it's okay to love and miss the grandparents, but right now the grandparents won't be coming to visit. 
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    I think you can not trash the family and also be age appropriate honest.  I like @STARMOON44's approach.  But I don't think LW should be forced to lie to protect non-supportive family either.  Son will grow up and make his own choices and, quite frankly, he might not want to be close to grandparents who abandoned his parent.
    Totally agree.

At this point I just think that I'd probably deflect.

As the child grows and starts to ask questions I'd start to elaborate. 

FWIW, as a parent I try to attempt to not share my opinions of people with my kids.   Despite loathing POTUS I don't tell Chiquita this.  As she gets older we can talk about the list of things but in the meantime I just say things like "Everyone has different opinions and Mommy voted for someone else." 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    VarunaTT said:
    I think you can not trash the family and also be age appropriate honest.  I like @STARMOON44's approach.  But I don't think LW should be forced to lie to protect non-supportive family either.  Son will grow up and make his own choices and, quite frankly, he might not want to be close to grandparents who abandoned his parent.
    Totally agree.

FWIW, as a parent I try to attempt to not share my opinions of people with my kids.   Despite loathing POTUS I don't tell Chiquita this.  As she gets older we can talk about the list of things but in the meantime I just say things like "Everyone has different opinions and Mommy voted for someone else." 
    Why? 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    VarunaTT said:
    Totally agree.

I really like this wording/approach 
  • Options
    @mrsconn23

One of my favorite stories from when I was camp counselor was when these two 9 year old boys were trying to one up each other about family vacations. I was trying so hard to keep a straight face. 

Kid 1: yeah, last year we went to Hawaii. 

Kid 2. That’s nothing. This year we’re going to Europe. 

Kid 1: oh yeah? Well, this year my dad is taking us to THE MOON! 

I agree with Starmoon’s approach. I think overall it’s better than saying the grandparents are busy, but it doesn’t trash them. 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    @mrsconn23

One of my favorite stories from when I was camp counselor was when these two 9 year old boys were trying to one up each other about family vacations. I was trying so hard to keep a straight face. 

Kid 1: yeah, last year we went to Hawaii. 

Kid 2. That’s nothing. This year we’re going to Europe. 

Kid 1: oh yeah? Well, this year my dad is taking us to THE MOON

I agree with Starmoon’s approach. I think overall it’s better than saying the grandparents are busy, but it doesn’t trash them. 
    Wow, 9yr old astronaut ;)  lol some trip