Wedding Woes

Happy Monday morning

How as the weekend?  how were the mornings?  (I might be the first one here :P)

I am up and here on a monday because I just got the kiddo off to school.

I"m fighting a migraine by drinking black coffee (I'm pretending it works, hush), and then I"m going into work (monday = day work is closed = day I usually do other stuff) for a 4 hour meeting--because that sounds fun.
I"m relatively sure the younger staff people are gong to hijack it and try to make this about dress code for the un-air-conditioned-awful-summer, but, UGH, that cannot and will nto end well.

This weekend I worked people pissed me off as many ways as possible.  We have 3 rooms @ work to host parties and essentially there were 4 birthday parties and 1 lunch group scheduled at the same time....miraculously, we managed to pull that shit off because my boss made a plan and I work w/ awesome people (except the scheduler, who is a great person but who is pissing me off), people think they can invent parking places where they park other people in, and people think 'no smoking' signs me that you can use your MJ vape pen in the infant room if you hide behind a pillar.
And those are just the highlights.  There was much swearing after work.

Because I had the kiddo's yearly scheduled for today, we booted it to saturday, and the Mr. got the lecture of 25th percentile for height, 3rd by weight, FEED HER.  Which, sure, kid w/ sensory issues where food is one, super easy.  But kid weight gain powder is on my list, and I do have permission to do more 'add heavy cream instead of milk' to things.  which I already do (using coffee creamer to make cocoa is AWESOME)
I'm apparently chatty.  and I have to go to my meeting.
Have good mondays, I'll read later :)

Re: Happy Monday morning

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2018
    The weekend seemed long, but not in a fun way. 

Friday night, we went to DefConn's school for the annual carnival.  I was without DH since he was still OOT.  It was a long 2-ish hours of standing alone and watching my kid run around.  I do know a few people from his school, but I am not chit-chat close with any of them.  So it was painfully boring. 

I worked Saturday and I went to bed super late Friday, so the day was a drag.  DH's flight was delayed, so he was home about an hour and a half later than we expected.  I fell asleep on the couch at 9:30. 

Sunday, we had a lazy morning and then went to Menards to pick out a new umbrella for the patio and few other things to spruce up the deck.  I am obsessed with the umbrella.  DefConn picked it out and it's just perfect. 

DefConn woke up with a gross cough this morning and was super whiny.   I got hardly any sleep last night after waking up at 3am after some crazy dreams.  So DefConn is home because I just couldn't fight him on sending him to school.  He probably needs a daily allergy med.  My mom's big appt is going on right now, so hopefully I'll have some news about her surgery date this afternoon. 
    I'm at the point where I want more coffee, but it will probably make me a hot-jittery-mess. 
  • I had an 8:30 meeting that could have been an email…so you know how that goes.

FH and I were adults this weekend. Cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, and watched basketball.

We are down to 18 days till the wedding and I’m dealing with an overzealous mother and FMIL

I just want a nap – is that terrible ha ha  

• I had an 8:30 meeting that could have been an email…so you know how that goes.

FH and I were adults this weekend. Cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, and watched basketball.

We are down to 18 days till the wedding and I’m dealing with an overzealous mother and FMIL

I just want a nap – is that terrible ha ha  

This is the worst. And most of the meetings I have to participate in. 
  • My original plan for the weekend:  "Hang out on my porch listening to music from the Festival, people watching and drinking cocktails."

My actual weekend after the illness I was fighting all last week went into overdrive:  "Sat on the couch vegging and watching tv.  Feeling envious of the patients on ER who have oxygen masks, because my throat feels half its normal size!"

Dragged myself to work today anyway.  Hoping to keep my cough to a minimum and not drive my coworkers crazy.  At least it's a short week!  I'm taking Friday off and will probably leave a few hours early on Thursday.

@GBCK, I had an ex b/f who would make White Russians with heavy cream, instead of milk.  To die for!  But over 1,000+ calories for one normal sized cocktail, lol.  I'll have to try your hot cocoa trick.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The building next to ours caught fire, so we were evacuated for the past hour. Our CEO took us out for coffee. So there's that. 
  • @charlotte989875 -  Let's switch places lol

FYI Leadership announced we are going to have Monday morning kickoffs and icebreakers because it seems our enthusiasm and productivity could be better on Monday's...everyone will go around the room and talk about their weekends and anything exciting coming up. They think it will help with employee engagement.

This sounds like my own personal hell TBH 
  • Weekend was good and productive. Saturday we had mulch done (H did this with intercollegiate Y students) while I did laundry and cleaned out closets. Afterwards, H replaced switchplates in the kitchen so that they match the new backsplash. Yesterday was church then Costco and goodwill. I did more closet organizing and drawer organizing. There is still more stuff to do. We are trying to purge stuff we don't need and our adult children don't want. Next I think I'm going to start packing up stuff in DD's room so that I can take it to her. Did y'all keep your childhood trophies and stuff from your parents' homes?

FYI Leadership announced we are going to have Monday morning kickoffs and icebreakers because it seems our enthusiasm and productivity could be better on Monday's...everyone will go around the room and talk about their weekends and anything exciting coming up. They think it will help with employee engagement.

@charlotte989875, that's unbelievable!  I hope everyone in the other building is okay.  At least that was nice the boss took everyone out for coffee.

@NBSquared2017, as I read your post, my mouth started to gape in horror, lol.  Who comes up with this kind of craziness?  That one MORE meeting will improve productivity and enthusiasm.  Really?!?  Monday morning cheerleading sessions would have the opposite effect on me, lol.

If they want more enthusiasm for a Monday, they should have breakfast available in the break room for everyone.  It would be amazingly effective.

I used to work at a company where the admin staff would go around on Tuesday mornings passing out breakfast sandwiches.  Employees could also opt for a McD yogurt parfait, if they preferred.  People were SO happy anticipating their breakfast, lol.

I'm tellin' ya, the power of food!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nice weekend, tough morning.

Drove an hour to a job interview where the interviewer ambushed me. Things seemed to be going nicely and then she said she thought I "wasn't a good fit" for them based on her wanting more managerial experience than I currently have.

So why did you ask me to drive up there? Sigh.
  • The building next to ours caught fire, so we were evacuated for the past hour. Our CEO took us out for coffee. So there's that. 
    Hope no one is hurt. Glad you got free coffee.

This sucks. Why is it anyone's business what you do over the weekend?
  • Disney is officially 30 days away and I got the our first day of Fastpasses squared away this morning.  I picked an adult ride (Soarin) over the Frozen ride, since DD won't remember it anyway but her dad and I will!  LOL! 

H mentioned he is a little nervous flying with DD because he doesn't want us to be those parents that can't keep their child quiet.  We are going to ply her with food and drink during the take off and landing to help with ear poppings.  I am also going to have H pull some videos off youtube of her BabyFirst shows.  I was just going to have her listen to them with the volume off (she has watched them with the sound off before).  We do have her own seat for the trip down, so she will be in her car seat.  But any helpful hints or tips from parents flying with a 1 year old will be welcomed!

Friday was my uncle's funeral and it was lovely.  I was able to get through my reading without breaking down.  I feel terrible for my one cousin.  My uncle was "his person" and the mediator between him and my aunt.  I'm hoping that he does ok and doesn't fall down a bad path (he has been on one before).

Saturday H worked, so I spent the day with DD.  H got home just in time for us all to go to church together.  They had a bake sale after and we got a bag of brownies.  We finished them before the ride home was done! 

Sunday we relaxed in the morning.  Then we went to Lowes and I got some flowers to add to my garden.  When we got home H dealt with DD so I could do my planting done.  My other flowers are starting to grow and have sprouted leaves and buds.  Then we had family nap time!  After that is was dinner and some chores around the house.

GBCK - 4 hour meeting on my day off is a nightmare!

NB - I always wonder why people spend the time attending meetings if it can be done faster via email!  Do they at least have food at your meetings? LOL!

Leviosa - Beyoncé lives and there are two of her!

Charlotte - Fingers crossed that the prices drop!  Would you guys consider putting in a low offer to try and negotiate to be under your budget?

• Disney is officially 30 days away and I got the our first day of Fastpasses squared away this morning.  I picked an adult ride (Soarin) over the Frozen ride, since DD won't remember it anyway but her dad and I will!  LOL! 

H mentioned he is a little nervous flying with DD because he doesn't want us to be those parents that can't keep their child quiet.  We are going to ply her with food and drink during the take off and landing to help with ear poppings.  I am also going to have H pull some videos off youtube of her BabyFirst shows.  I was just going to have her listen to them with the volume off (she has watched them with the sound off before).  We do have her own seat for the trip down, so she will be in her car seat.  But any helpful hints or tips from parents flying with a 1 year old will be welcomed!

Friday was my uncle's funeral and it was lovely.  I was able to get through my reading without breaking down.  I feel terrible for my one cousin.  My uncle was "his person" and the mediator between him and my aunt.  I'm hoping that he does ok and doesn't fall down a bad path (he has been on one before).

Saturday H worked, so I spent the day with DD.  H got home just in time for us all to go to church together.  They had a bake sale after and we got a bag of brownies.  We finished them before the ride home was done! 

Sunday we relaxed in the morning.  Then we went to Lowes and I got some flowers to add to my garden.  When we got home H dealt with DD so I could do my planting done.  My other flowers are starting to grow and have sprouted leaves and buds.  Then we had family nap time!  After that is was dinner and some chores around the house.

GBCK - 4 hour meeting on my day off is a nightmare!

NB - I always wonder why people spend the time attending meetings if it can be done faster via email!  Do they at least have food at your meetings? LOL!

Leviosa - Beyoncé lives and there are two of her!

Charlotte - Fingers crossed that the prices drop!  Would you guys consider putting in a low offer to try and negotiate to be under your budget?

As someone who flies fairly regularly (and doesn't have kids, and appreciates a quiet flight) I'm never annoyed by parents who have a crying baby that look like they're trying to comfortable their child. I'm super annoyed by parents who ignore their crying babies or put on head phones so they don't hear their children cry. 

I think so; I'd like to for one house specifically because it's perfect location, updated, and move in ready. 
  • levioosa said:

Because FI is ridiculous, he wanted to look at the “tractor super co” store that was near our air bnb...but guess what they had....

Giant metal chickens! 

So did Beyonce go home with you?  ;)  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    levioosa said:

Because FI is ridiculous, he wanted to look at the “tractor super co” store that was near our air bnb...but guess what they had....

Giant metal chickens! 

You know, seriously?  I like the giant, metal chickens, lol.  If I owned more of a barn, farm-house looking house where it would match the "vibe", I would be tempted to get a giant, metal chicken.

I actually do have a cute, metal pig*.  But he is about 2.5' long and 1.5' high and is small enough to be a knick-knack in my house.

*He was not a wedding present, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:
    levioosa said:

Giant metal chickens! 

You know, seriously?  I like the giant, metal chickens, lol.  If I owned more of a barn, farm-house looking house where it would match the "vibe", I would be tempted to get a giant, metal chicken.

I actually do have a cute, metal pig*.  But he is about 2.5' long and 1.5' high and is small enough to be a knick-knack in my house.

*He was not a wedding present, lol.

HA!  DH and I pass this lawn statue place every time we go out to the farm his uncle owns for camping and one day we're going to stop and buy some shit for our lawn/garden areas.  

And Beyonce was an anniversary gift, since *he* was not towels.  God that story is one of my faves of all time.  I pee a little every time I re-read it.  :D 

This sounds like a great way for me to hate Mondays and my coworkers even more than I already do.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Charlotte - Fingers crossed that the prices drop!  Would you guys consider putting in a low offer to try and negotiate to be under your budget?

As someone who flies fairly regularly (and doesn't have kids, and appreciates a quiet flight) I'm never annoyed by parents who have a crying baby that look like they're trying to comfortable their child. I'm super annoyed by parents who ignore their crying babies or put on head phones so they don't hear their children cry. 

I think so; I'd like to for one house specifically because it's perfect location, updated, and move in ready. 

I'm sure I don't have to tell you all here that people can sometimes be too emotional about their houses and price them way too high.

@charlotte989875, check with your realtor, but a good rule of thumb is offering 10% or less than the list price won't be an "insulting" offer.  He might already know or can easily found out from the other agent if the sellers are negotiable or not.  I'm often amazed at the extra "insider info" my agent has when I show interest in a listing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Charlotte - Fingers crossed that the prices drop!  Would you guys consider putting in a low offer to try and negotiate to be under your budget?

I'm sure I don't have to tell you all here that people can sometimes be too emotional about their houses and price them way too high.

@charlotte989875, check with your realtor, but a good rule of thumb is offering 10% or less than the list price won't be an "insulting" offer.  He might already know or can easily found out from the other agent if the sellers are negotiable or not.  I'm often amazed at the extra "insider info" my agent has when I show interest in a listing.

Our new agent is amazing and we love him. Even before we go see a house he gives us all the "insider info." He actually just closed on a house down the street from the one we're really interested in. H just talked to him (but hasn't emailed me back) so hopefully it's some good news. 

• @charlotte989875 I'm so glad you guys like your new realtor. 

@short+sassy when FI's parents sold their house they insisted on showing it themselves. It made me cringe. You can't be objective about your own place, and the people seeing it can't judge it effectively when they feel like you are looking over their shoulder.

• levioosa said:
    @charlotte989875 I'm so glad you guys like your new realtor. 

@short+sassy when FI's parents sold their house they insisted on showing it themselves. It made me cringe. You can't be objective about your own place, and the people seeing it can't judge it effectively when they feel like you are looking over their shoulder.
    I hate this so much. It's pretty much a seller's market here right now so there are a TON of for sale by owners and they insist on showing themselves, having insane "rules" about the showings, and are generally overpriced. It's to the point where we almost don't want to go see homes that are FSBO because of this. 
  • levioosa said:

I hate this so much. It's pretty much a seller's market here right now so there are a TON of for sale by owners and they insist on showing themselves, having insane "rules" about the showings, and are generally overpriced. It's to the point where we almost don't want to go see homes that are FSBO because of this. 

Hah, my neighbors are doing this. They listed their house at over $50,000 above what it's probably worth. It's a 1700 SF 3 bedroom, 2 bath with a walkout basement and an acre (a HUGE yard for my neighborhood) listed at $350,000. I bought my 1700 SF 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, half basement and small yard house 2 years ago at $215,000. There's no way the basement and yard make it $135,000 more than my house. And the owners were at the open house last weekend.

Our neighbor told us that they said they listed it so high because "they built it 30 years ago and put their heart and soul into it". Um, okay. But a buyer doesn't give a shit about that. They also said they priced so high so a developer won't come in and split the lot. Again, not sure how a gigantic listing price would prevent that, but good luck to you.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • levioosa said:

Oh yeah. FI's parents were the worst. Their house was honestly a POS and needed to be completely gutted and remodeled. A decade earlier they had paid a hack contractor to "remodel" the kitchen and two restrooms. All the contractor did was repaint the cabinets, put in laminate "wood" flooring in two rooms and resurface the tub and he charged them $15000 for it. I couldn't believe it when FI told me. Like, JFC, did they not get any other quotes?! But then during the showings, they clearly expected it to mean something, and they were trying to recoup the cost. And they wanted a 15 day escrow. But they had done nothing to prepare. They knew months before they were going to sell the house. But they didn't pack, clean, give stuff away, or anything. So these potential buyers were going through a dirty house full of crap shown by the sellers who had unrealistic expectations and weird rules about showing/times.

FI and I were looking at houses at the same time and we tried to tell them how all of this would be seen from a buyer's point of view, but we never got through to them. They ended up selling the house for much less than they wanted (but probably what is was worth in the current state) with a 5 day escrow. And that was a whole other shit show. 

• It was a pretty good weekend.

Friday, I met with my VP to discuss the issues going on between me and my ED so that she can serve as the go between.  VP is a very high ranking HR person in a huge corporation and very much made me feel comfortable about the situation.  She also validated a few suspicions I had about ED's behavior.  ED is not being malicious; she is simply used to handling all the things by herself.  That is no longer true and she needs to start sharing ownership.  I've got another phone conference tonight with another person I respect to get their insight on the situation.  VP is supposed to be speaking with ED, who then will be told when ED is ready, they are to message me for a meeting.

Saturday was K's roller derby game and it was a kick ass game.  I think it's probably the best roller derby game I've ever watched live.  Both teams were pretty evenly match and it was an incredibly close score down to the wire.  The last jam came up and K fought so hard to get through the wall and their blockers came back to help K, but the opposing team had put literally every single player on K except for their jammer that they left hanging in the wind, to shut K down.  B/c if K had gotten that lead jam, we would've at least won/tied that damn score, it was so close.  I think the final was only 10 points apart, which is really close for a derby game.  K is still worn out.

Sunday was adulting day, when I did laundry, cleaned the apartment and K did homework.  I think there's like 3 weeks left of school?  It felt like 3 weeks, 6 weeks ago though, so I've completely lost track.  Pride is off and running and so far, decently smooth.  *knocks on wood somewhere*
  • levioosa said:

Agreed!  It's just a poor idea to do something that will make potential buyers feel awkward.  But, oh well.  I'm sure it got sold, in spite of that.

Years ago, I had a very p/t gig where I would "babysit" houses during open houses.  Paid $15/hour.  It was pretty funny.  I brought my own folding chair and a good book to read.  And just set up camp near the front door.  As people walked in, I would direct them to an optional sign-in sheet.  Next to that, there was a stack of flyers about the house.  I would invite them to take one and look through the house.

I guess I was there just to be a deterrent from "who knows", people stealing the appliances or vandalizing or whatever.

My biggest instruction, mentioned and capitalized multiple times in the 2 pages of instructions, was I could not discuss the house at all since I wasn't a licensed real estate agent.  But, of course, I'm the only one there so almost everyone wanted to ask me questions, lol.

I would apologize and explain that it was illegal for me to answer any questions about the house because I wasn't an agent.  Direct them back to the flyer.  Which, most of the time, had the answer to their question anyway.  But also had the agent's info to call, if not.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • At the very least, FSBO folks should get an appraisal on their house before putting it up for sale.  A private appraisal is usually cheaper than the more "formal" type of appraisal done for a bank loan.

Because most people finance houses.  And a bank isn't going to give a $350K loan on a house with comps at $320K.  Even if they can find a buyer who loves the house so much, they are willing to overpay for it.

I put an offer in TWICE to a crazy seller a couple of years ago, smh.  It was a 2bd/2ba condo originally listed at $60K.  When I saw the listing, it was at $56K.  Super cute place, decent neighborhood, move-in ready.  I could easily rent it out for $900/month.  It was an active (though not hyper) buyer's market, but this condo had been listed for 6+ months.

My REA told me the comps for it were, at most, $43K.  I offered $45K, even though it was a little above, because it would still have a great ROI.  They countered back at $52K.  Umm...no.  I'd love to sell my house for 25% above comps, but that is not how this works.  The selling agent admitted that the list price was way above comps (especially if you look at it percentage-wise) and that they had explained that to the seller.  But $52K was the least they would accept.

7 months later, the listing was still there at the same price.  I had my agent reach out again with my offer.  Nope.  Apparently the seller wanted to keep on paying thousands a year in insurance/taxes/HOA dues on a vacant property, than just get it off their hands.  Whatever.  I do NOT understand people sometimes, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • At the very least, FSBO folks should get an appraisal on their house before putting it up for sale.  A private appraisal is usually cheaper than the more "formal" type of appraisal done for a bank loan.

Because most people finance houses.  And a bank isn't going to give a $350K loan on a house with comps at $320K.  Even if they can find a buyer who loves the house so much, they are willing to overpay for it.

I put an offer in TWICE to a crazy seller a couple of years ago, smh.  It was a 2bd/2ba condo originally listed at $60K.  When I saw the listing, it was at $56K.  Super cute place, decent neighborhood, move-in ready.  I could easily rent it out for $900/month.  It was an active (though not hyper) buyer's market, but this condo had been listed for 6+ months.

My REA told me the comps for it were, at most, $43K.  I offered $45K, even though it was a little above, because it would still have a great ROI.  They countered back at $52K.  Umm...no.  I'd love to sell my house for 25% above comps, but that is not how this works.  The selling agent admitted that the list price was way above comps (especially if you look at it percentage-wise) and that they had explained that to the seller.  But $52K was the least they would accept.

7 months later, the listing was still there at the same price.  I had my agent reach out again with my offer.  Nope.  Apparently the seller wanted to keep on paying thousands a year in insurance/taxes/HOA dues on a vacant property, than just get it off their hands.  Whatever.  I do NOT understand people sometimes, lol.

This is what I don't get at all! 

The house we were looking at a while back was really similar. Needed a TON of work (basically gut the entire thing) and the land wasn't even worth half of what they were asking. We didn't even put in an offer because of how much work it needed and the fact that the sellers agent told ours that he knew it was overpriced but the sellers wouldn't come off the price.