Wedding Woes

Ask the driver?

Dear Prudence,
I don’t often use ride-sharing apps or take cabs, but when I do, I normally sit in the passenger seat. Should I sit in the back instead? Is there a universally polite option?
—Passing Through

Re: Ask the driver?

• Sit in the backseat. It's weird to sit next to the driver unless there is no room in the back. Many (most I've ever ridden with) will tell you to sit in the back. 

• MRDCleMRDCle member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Sit in the backseat. It's weird to sit next to the driver unless there is no room in the back. Many (most I've ever ridden with) will tell you to sit in the back. 

I prefer to sit in the back, but more and more recently when I'm riding alone the driver will ask me to sit in the front. 
  • I always sit in the back and refuse to move to the front. 
  • I've always sat in the back though, if a driver asked me to sit in the front, I would comply.  I really don't care.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I’ve never sat in the front, although if there’s a group of us and we don’t all fit in the back, a member of my party has.

I’d feel weirded out if the driver asked me to sit in the front.
  • I’ve occasionally sat in the front when we’re in a big group. When I’m alone I ask if it’s okay. Sometimes I get motion sickness in the back seat and I figure they’d rather share the front then have a queasy passenger in the back. I don’t always sit in the front, just when I feel like it might not be a good day for me to sit in the back/if there’s going to be windy roads. 

• I know with Lyft, drivers are told to ask lone passengers to sit in the front. It's one of their "we're friendly, you'll love us!" things. So I usually do, if I'm alone. 

Luckily, I'm usually with someone, and I can sit in the back. 

I just wish I could request a driver who won't talk to me. That's the next big thing: ride shares for introverts. 
  • I feel uncomfortable sitting in the front seat when I'm alone for some reason and generally just hop in the back without asking. 
  • I've never Ubered alone (H is very against it) but when there's 2 of us, we've both always sat in the back.

Twice when there's been 3-4 of us, I've asked if it's okay if I sit in the front.

But yeah, LW, ask. If you're comfortable asking Prudie, why don't you ask your driver?

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • In Europe, I often sit in the front. I’ve been told that it rude not to. In North America, I sit in the back. Interestingly, I have received the best restaurant advice and trip ideas sitting in the front. At the end of the day, do what makes you feel comfortable. 
  • ernursej said:
    In Europe, I often sit in the front. I’ve been told that it rude not to. In North America, I sit in the back. Interestingly, I have received the best restaurant advice and trip ideas sitting in the front. At the end of the day, do what makes you feel comfortable. 
    Token European here: I have never, ever in my life sat in the front seat of a taxi/ uber. Granted Europe is an extremely large, multicultural continent so I cannot say if this is how it is done in, say, Montenegro. But of the big places I regularly spend time: France, Germany, Scandi, Spain, Italy, Poland etc, the driver actually rolls their eyes if you have to sit in the front with a large group, as they usually have their coffee, phone, coat, book there.  

Definitely the thing to do in Oz, but I have never heard of this in Europe. 
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2018
    I just googled this because I was wondering where you got this advice and came across this fantastic article on Americans trying to sit in the front seat of taxis in Ireland (you have to love Irish humour):

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/do-you-sit-in-the-back-of-a-taxi-or-the-front-like-a-dangerous-sociopath-1.3198186
  • I just googled this because I was wondering where you got this advice and came across this fantastic article on Americans trying to sit in the front seat of taxis in Ireland (you have to love Irish humour):

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/do-you-sit-in-the-back-of-a-taxi-or-the-front-like-a-dangerous-sociopath-1.3198186

I appreciated the "tongue in cheek" from the author, when the first few lines talk about having no judgment for people's answers, as to whether people automatically get in the front or back seat...but then refers to the front seaters as being "like dangerous sociopaths", lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Interesting read! Perhaps we just look like sociopaths and they are wanting to just get us in and out quickly :P

I asked H and we were trying to remember the original and subsequent conversations but he thinks we were originally chatting in '08 with a cabbie in Paris and he told us that it was rude and elite to automatically sit in the back. We have asked a few more times over the years (in Germany and Italy) and get a similar response (or that they don't care). H speaks fluent French, Italian and German so perhaps we got a different response because the cabbies are interested in chatting with him. I just assumed that I could do the same and have done so. I don't remember seeing eye rolling or having to remove stuff out of my way but I'll pay attention when I travel next.