Wedding Woes
Options

It's really only Wednesday?

Ugh I am draggingggggggggggggg. It's raining/storming off and on here and my head is killing me. I thought about calling in but I made a cheesecake last night that needed to be delivered today.

I'm starting to hate every thing and every minute of my job. I have maybe an hour of actual work per day, my neighbor is the most annoying person in the world, everyone here dislikes and judges me and I can't figure out why, I've been here 8 freaking months and still haven't had "my" accounts assigned to me, I could keep going. Just being here is draining me.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: It's really only Wednesday?

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Sorry shessocold. I’m waiting for my kids field trip
    to show up. It’s gorgeous out!!!
  • Options
    Sorry you're in a rut, @ShesSoCold.  Was your move lateral or up on the ladder? I feel you on the boredom part.  We have three people in our department, and only need two so every day I'm nervous. 

My SIL is due any day now.  I'm on baby watch.  Her due date is the 12th and no one knows if it's a boy or girl so we're all waiting to see what our bets are!

Slightly up on the ladder. I'm a little nervous too because we're overstaffed too. And one of the agents in my dept. left so we're REALLY overstaffed now.

I just feel like I'm losing my mind and need a big change. Like, move across the country or quit my job and go to culinary school change.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    That sucks @ShesSoCold; you've been with this company for a while right? Have you thought of looking elsewhere just to see what's out there? 

Not much today, just trying to make it through the last week of classes. This has been one of the longest semesters I've had in a long time. I'm behind on everything and have zero motivation to finish things up. 

I have two big meetings tomorrow and I'm putting off doing the things I need to do for them. 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I'm trying to list stuff on FB Marketplace before the garage sale and half of it isn't showing up. I thought it was strange i wasn't getting any messages or even any views on some stuff and my husband searched and none of it shows up. If I search for it it will show up for me but apparently not him. Anyone else ever have this problem? 
  • Options

@ShesSoCold, I'm so sorry to hear how unhappy you are in the new position.  I have been there and know how soul sucking it can be.  It's also really frustrating and worrisome when there isn't enough to do.  My current job is great, except for a lot of that last part (sigh).

I know it's Wednesday, but I hope everyone can find some motivation from somewhere.

As for me, I feel like I have actually had a fairly productive day.  Rare, lol.  I went through my entire work inbox and whittled it down to a handful of e-mails.  I have a backlog ton of data entry to do.  Because my non-motivation day was yesterday and I really procrastinated on those tasks, lol.  Not much else going on.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Thanks, ladies!

I've been with the company about a year and a half and in this office and this dept. for about 8 months. What sucks though is that they never divided the workload when I started. Like, every other department has a split of the business and we're just willy nilly doing whatever is given to us. I'm hoping that the one guy leaving will help divide the accounts. That'll really help my daily frustrations.

And I'm hesitant to leave because H and I have talked about moving across country again. He wants to wait until next year but I'd hate to start a new job and then leave 8 months later, ya know? 

• Options
    @short+sassy  is there a tenant update? 
  • Options

I'm here.  Nothing going on.  SSDD.

Tonight is yoga, then home.

Kvruns - Does it have anything to do with your privacy settings?  Its the only thing I can think of!

• Options

Had surgery last week and recovery isn't going the way I was told it would go. My surgeon told me that she has had people go play soccer the next day. I'm couch surfing and barely good with that.

@ShesSoCold that doesn't sound great. Hang in there?!

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    @OliveOilsMom I don't think so because some stuff shows up and some doesn't. Last night I listed like 6 posts and 2 show up and have views and the rest don't. At first I just thought no one wanted Nike stuff lol but I think there is something wrong since it has 0 views. 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2018
    Had to deal with three incidents of BS already today:

1) A recruiter calls me about two great possible positions (same company) . She's calling me from her home and there's lots of noise in the background so I ask if it's a good time to talk. She reassures me that it is and we talk some more. The jobs sound good.  But then she tells me that her client demands my salary history. I tell her what I'm looking to make (market value) and she wants to know if I've been making that. I haven't because of cheap bosses and the recession but I don't say so. She gives me this crap about "her client thinks skill sets are 'worth' certain compensation."

2) My apartment complex tells me that its maintenance crew is required to inspect my apartment for water leaks because my water bill is unusually high last month. That was because a friend of my parents is moving out of town and gave me several sets of dishes and kitchen equipment, which needed washing after being transported in my car.

3) An editing client suspended the editing and is trying to recruit me for a commission-basis sales position.

• Options
    Rather than bump the other thread and confuse people, I'll say "thanks!!" to @short+sassy  and @CharmedPam for the bath tub feedback. Its existence just pisses me off so much that maybe I will inquire with a handyman about it soon. 

• Options

Thanks, ladies!

I've been with the company about a year and a half and in this office and this dept. for about 8 months. What sucks though is that they never divided the workload when I started. Like, every other department has a split of the business and we're just willy nilly doing whatever is given to us. I'm hoping that the one guy leaving will help divide the accounts. That'll really help my daily frustrations.

And I'm hesitant to leave because H and I have talked about moving across country again. He wants to wait until next year but I'd hate to start a new job and then leave 8 months later, ya know? 

Don't let that stop you from looking for something new!  Do what is best for you.  Especially since moving away isn't anything set in stone.  Even a "worst case scenario" is working at a new job for almost a year and then having to leave because you all are moving.  Which would be totally understandable.

banana468 said:
    @short+sassy  is there a tenant update? 

I am going to credit you with bringing me a little bit of good karma, lol.  Still haven't heard anything from my tenant.  But, literally as I was reading this post from you, I finally got a return call from Section 8, lol.  My question had been if I can post a 30-Day Notice to Vacate this month (it would up on June 30th, so a little longer than 30 days).  Or am I locked in, until the annual agreement with them is up.  Yes!  I can serve her notice this month.

I also got the e-mail address for who needs to be e-mailed the 5-Day Pay or Quit notice that I served her.  Normally, she would have a case worker assigned to her.  But her previous one got promoted into another position and they don't have his replacement yet.  Gotta love gov't. agencies, lol.  So the head of that dept. is who I'm working with at the moment.

Of course, that might be a moot point anyway, if she forces me to file for an eviction.  I'm certainly not going to serve the 30-Day notice to vacate until she gives me the rent.  And, if she doesn't, I don't need to serve her with it because I'll just be evicting her before then anyway.

It would actually be incredibly, incredibly stupid of her to let this go to eviction court.  Getting kicked out of my house would actually be the small potatoes.  She'd also completely lose her Section 8 benefits.  Not only do they pay a portion of her rent, but they also give her a monthly stipend that probably pays for the majority of her utility bills.  But, just because something would be extremely foolish, doesn't mean people won't still do it (shrug).  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Might be going to the beach this weekend. If so, I definitely look forward to it.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

1) A recruiter calls me about two great possible positions (same company) . She's calling me from her home and there's lots of noise in the background so I ask if it's a good time to talk. She reassures me that it is and we talk some more. The jobs sound good.  But then she tells me that her client demands my salary history. I tell her what I'm looking to make (market value) and she wants to know if I've been making that. I haven't because of cheap bosses and the recession but I don't say so. She gives me this crap about "her client thinks skill sets are 'worth' certain compensation."

2) My apartment complex tells me that its maintenance crew is required to inspect my apartment for water leaks because my water bill is unusually high last month. That was because a friend of my parents is moving out of town and gave me several sets of dishes and kitchen equipment, which needed washing after being transported in my car.

3) An editing client suspended the editing and is trying to recruit me for a commission-basis sales position.

That's an annoying conversation to have @Jen4948.  Most people, when they interview don't want to make what they're making/made anyway.  Most people (unless your working conditions are horrible) want to make more!

I am going to credit you with bringing me a little bit of good karma, lol.  Still haven't heard anything from my tenant.  But, literally as I was reading this post from you, I finally got a return call from Section 8, lol.  My question had been if I can post a 30-Day Notice to Vacate this month (it would up on June 30th, so a little longer than 30 days).  Or am I locked in, until the annual agreement with them is up.  Yes!  I can serve her notice this month.

What a mess! But can you imagine getting rid of her and then having a tenant who pays. on time.  Might be worth it!

I am so tired.  My admin said she was taking a walk, and that sounds really good (to bad my phone is at 23%!).  I was up at my regular time to work out, but just as I was thinking about crawling out of bed, H reached over and spooned me.  What? I can't leave the bed with this precious cuddle time we have.  So I skipped my treadmill portion of the workout and only did weights, and got an extra 1/2 hour of cuddling in.  But now I'm DEAD tired and who knows if I can do the treadmill tonight. Sleeeeep.  I just want sleeeep.

• Options
    Jen4948 said:

1)  ((scrunchy face)) Wow!  That is REALLY unprofessional.  One of my first jobs out of college was being recruiter for a temp/perm placement agency.  The only option was to work in the office anyway, but I was on the phone pretty much all day long.  Either speaking to clients, prospecting for clients, or speaking to applicants.

((frowny face)) on companies who bargain shop for their employees.  I went to a cattle call job interview once (didn't know ahead of time).  All of us applicants were sitting at a conference table with applications in front of us.  At one point, the boss came in and gave a talk about the position.

After discussing the job responsibilities he said something like, "As you can see, this is an easy job that doesn't require many skills.  You need to be punctual and do the work while you're here, but anybody can do it.  Please be sure to write your salary requirement because I'm pretty much going to be choosing whomever has the lowest number."  Well.  All righty then.  Me (thinking to myself), "Hmmm...hmmm.  What salary would I require to work for this awful guy and company?"  As I mentally add a 30% premium my normal requirement, lol. 

2)  Seems a bit much, especially since you explained what would cause a higher bill.  Though I also can't imagine more loads of dishes would result in an "unusually higher" bill.  A higher bill, sure.  But nothing outlandish.

3) Maybe it is something to consider, while you're looking for work?  Though, I hear you.  For me, it would depend on what the job entailed.  Calling warm prospects who have requested info?  I'd do that.  Cold calling all day?  That would be my version of hell.

In fact, back to that early recruiting job I spoke of, they lied, lied, lied in the interview.  It was advertised as following up with regular clients for their hiring needs.  I flat out told them in the interview that I didn't mind warm prospecting, but I did not want to do any cold calling.  "Oh, yes!  Totally agree.  We don't do any cold calling here."  Except apparently their version of a "regular client" is anyone who had ever been contacted by anybody at that company ever.  Also known as...a cold call, smh.  Absolute misery.  I worked there for 6 months, but was then offered an office manager job by a potential client I'd contacted, LMAO.  They were plainly much more upset about losing that job listing then the fact that I was leaving.  SNS.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    I'm trying to list stuff on FB Marketplace before the garage sale and half of it isn't showing up. I thought it was strange i wasn't getting any messages or even any views on some stuff and my husband searched and none of it shows up. If I search for it it will show up for me but apparently not him. Anyone else ever have this problem? 
    That happened to me once. I messaged the page admin and she said it was on there and sent me the link. IDK how that happened though.
  • Options

What a mess! But can you imagine getting rid of her and then having a tenant who pays. on time.  Might be worth it!

I am so tired.  My admin said she was taking a walk, and that sounds really good (to bad my phone is at 23%!).  I was up at my regular time to work out, but just as I was thinking about crawling out of bed, H reached over and spooned me.  What? I can't leave the bed with this precious cuddle time we have.  So I skipped my treadmill portion of the workout and only did weights, and got an extra 1/2 hour of cuddling in.  But now I'm DEAD tired and who knows if I can do the treadmill tonight. Sleeeeep.  I just want sleeeep.

Actually, I'm not going to get another tenant.  I'm going to replace all the floors and sell it.  I might have to replace the roof also.  When the time is closer, I'll get with my agent on that.  I'd rather sell it a bit cheaper and let the new buyer deal with it.  The roof doesn't currently have any leaks, but there are major patches and it is on its last legs.  I knew that when I bought it three years ago and am actually surprised it has lasted this long, lol.

Despite the tenant currently sucking, my ROI for this house has been un-freakin'-believable and now I have to brag, lol.

It's a 4bd/2ba.  I bought the house from a motivated seller for $38K, with this tenant already living there paying $1125/month.  Well, tenant paying $105 and S8 paying $1020 (back then).  So, heck yeah!  Over the years, I've probably put another $5K into it, so I'm all in for around $43K.  Even with the sketchy roof, I should be able to sell it for mid $60s.  I think high $60s-low $70s if I put a new roof on.  Though I am doing a bit of rank guessing on that.  Hopefully, I won't be disappointed, lol.  Plus I've grossed over $40K in rent since I bought it.

I'm not re-renting it for two reasons.  Now that I have a little more experience, there is another part of the city that my H and I like better than the area this house is in.  Plus, now I can parlay my equity into a down payment for a 4-plex and get an even better monthly cash flow as compared to just renting this house out again.  But then, we do want to pull out of NOLA eventually, so that is also a consideration.

Or we might use it to fund our first fix 'n flip.  Or I might sock it away to be a down payment toward my eventual dream of owning a small apartment complex that nets $80K-$100K/year.  In another part of the country that is yet to be determined, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @ernursej I'm sorry recovery is sucking. What was the surgery?  I had a hell of a time with my gallbladder. Everyone else bounced right back:(
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    6fsn said:
    @ernursej I'm sorry recovery is sucking. What was the surgery?  I had a hell of a time with my gallbladder. Everyone else bounced right back:(
    Same when I had knee surgery. 

Hoping you get some relief soon  @ernursej
  • Options
    ernursej said:

Had surgery last week and recovery isn't going the way I was told it would go. My surgeon told me that she has had people go play soccer the next day. I'm couch surfing and barely good with that.

@ShesSoCold that doesn't sound great. Hang in there?!

I hope you feel better soon!  That's rough.  Especially when you were expecting to be more mobile by now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2018
    I hope you feel better @ernursej

I’m crying at the thought of a 4 bed, 2 bath property for $38k. That wasn’t even our down payment.

Tk ate the rest of my post. School today. I have a massage tomorrow and I’m going to need it. I’m glad I don’t have that much floor nursing left in my future. Going per diem has been amazing and my body was definitely not a fan of returning after four weeks off. My back and knees are killing me. It was nice to see my coworkers though.  

• Options
    $38k was only $10k more than my minivan!  

I don't know what that would get you in CT but I don't think you could live in it.
  • Options

The COL difference around the country is amazing to me.

My cousins in Indianapolis sold their 3 bed, 1 bath (very small home) for $30,000. That was nearly $15K less than my down payment! Then they bought a 4 bed, 3 bath newer house for $125! My 3 bed, 2.5 bath house that's significantly smaller than that was $215!

And then I read articles about a burned down shack in CA selling for nearly a million dollars!

• Options

My cousins in Indianapolis sold their 3 bed, 1 bath (very small home) for $30,000. That was nearly $15K less than my down payment! Then they bought a 4 bed, 3 bath newer house for $125! My 3 bed, 2.5 bath house that's significantly smaller than that was $215!

And then I read articles about a burned down shack in CA selling for nearly a million dollars!

H still owns a house in Indiana.  Don't even get me started on the taxes....

• Options

Quite frankly, it can be crazy differences even within the same city.  In many parts of NOLA, you can't even buy a vacant lot for $38K.  This particular house is in a safe, but lower middle class neighborhood.  And although it is technically in the city of NOLA.  It is in the way, way outskirts.  People are real babies out here, lol.  If you're not within 15-20 minutes of the Downtown, property prices drop significantly.  Though, not so much rents.  That has been my "sweet spot".

At the time I bought it, the comps were probably more like $50K-$55K.  It was an unusually good deal, even then.  It was also "off market".  Meaning, it wasn't in the MLS.  I actually found it on Craig's List.

I used to be able to occasionally find 3bd houses that needed a bit of cosmetic work for $50K, but would rent for $900-$1,000/mo.  It seems like those days are gone.

The two rental duplexes I bought were $48K and $71K, respectively.  But needed substantial work.  Also off market deals.

Alas, it is getting harder and harder to find deals like that.  That's okay.  That's why I'm shifting focus a bit to some slightly different real estate endeavors and/or other parts of the country.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Feel better @ernursej and @ShesSoCold.

Thanks @short+sassy and @CharmedPam. Short + sassy, I'm sorry your tenant is sucking. But it sounds like you're getting a good return on your investment of time and money even though the tenant is a jerk.

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    $30K??? Wow that is crazy cheap I think there are only a few pockets of Indy that would have stuff that cheap.