Wedding Woes
Options

Quiet Wednesday

Where is everyone, lol.  As it approached 10:30AM (Central) and no one had started a Wed. post, I took the bulls by the horn.

My Doc Control extra work has actually turned out to be a plus.  I've been given a set task that should last 1-2 weeks.  Unless I have a question, I don't even have to interact with the manager.  I'm feeling more productive than usual and I know I'm getting a "gold star" from the client and the big boss.  They came in together yesterday to talk to me about helping DC.  I spoke to them about my present work load and where/how I could jump in.  Of course, I was also all smiles and "happy to help".  Which was partially true, lol.  But, at least so far, it is going better than I expected.

My new next-door tenant came by the unit last night.  He's the one who lives about an hour outside of town and mainly uses it as an AirBnB rental.  Someone broke into his car in front of the house, eek!  At first, I was super alarmed.  We've never had that happen on our block in the 6 years I've lived here.  But then I got more details.  I think he was only in the unit for an hour or so cleaning after his last vacationers.  But he had left his wallet on the front seat and the door unlocked.  Ooof, yeah.  It's a nice, safe neighborhood.  But you can't do that here.  He was understandably SO upset and I felt really bad for him.  On the brighter side, he's been really happy with the unit and is making a profit on his AirBnB over the rent he is paying me.  Plus, he occasionally has the place for himself when he's in the city.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Quiet Wednesday

• Options
    I'm here.  Was about to go to lunch and got pulled into a last second meeting. 

Just biding my time until the long weekend. 

I was reading the comments on an article about the recent TX HS shooting and someone posted a link to this old Prudie Q&A.  It is fascinating to see how parents do mental gymnastics sometimes to justify, explain, or ignore their child's troubling behavior. 

Q. My son has been accused of stalking: Last summer, my 14-year-old son Andy went to the same summer camp as his classmate Jenny. He claims they “dated” while at camp and that she “ghosted” him as soon as they came home. I wrote it off as a popular girl dumping a sweet but socially awkward boy due to peer pressure. Recently, Jenny’s parents contacted me claiming that Andy has been stalking Jenny. Unbeknownst to me, Andy sent Jenny thousands of texts and emails; he also called her a lot. Jenny never responded or told him to stop. At school she ignored him. Jenny claims she and Andy never had a relationship. Her parents have wanted to meet with the principal of their school (and possibly with the police) so that we can discuss how to protect Jenny from Andy’s “stalking.” I’m a single mom, and Jenny’s parents are wealthy. How should I advocate for my son?

A: I think you should speak to him with this new information and see how capable he is of responding to it. If he continues with his “summer romance” story, which seems fairly obviously untrue, it may be that he is experiencing a break with reality and needs immediate psychiatric help. You say Jenny never “told him to stop,” and it concerns me that you’re trying to place equal responsibility at her feet. Whether they dated or not, your son (and you!) should be aware that sending “thousands of texts and emails” to someone who has stopped responding is a wildly inappropriate, threatening response to being dumped. He absolutely is stalking her. Whether Andy perceives his messages as friendly or not doesn’t matter; the fact that he has sent thousands of messages to her that are clearly unwanted meets just about every definition of stalking there is. Either way, the best way you can advocate for your son is to find a counselor you can trust and get him the help he needs—and make sure he leaves his classmate alone, for good this time.

• Options

I'm glad work is working out! :) Sucks for tenant but really, who leaves their wallet just laying there unlocked?! That's like an invitation!

That kind of reminded me of a couple years ago - we were living in an apartment and I looked out the window one evening. There was a slip of paper on my car, looked like a parking ticket. So I go out and it's a note from the police telling me that I had a visible ipod in the car and should be more careful. Which was nice, had they not put this noticeable note stating there was an ipod in there!

I'm having a good day, actually. Yesterday morning was a mess. I got to work and realized I hadn't put one of my rings back on (the fence one that was my mom's - it pulls my hair when I wash it so I take it off to shower) and that caused a bit of panic. Then I had a class in the afternoon, which was great because it ended up getting out really early. I was able to get all the crap done that I didn't want to do and still got home at my regular time.

Busy today at work and getting ready to go to the lake this weekend! Ordering some board shorts today because there's nothing like wearing a bathing suit in the sun to make you realize just how much hair I really do have on my thighs that I miss when I shave.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Oof.   Even here in podunk CT we have the local police repeating to PLEASE not leave your cars unlocked in your driveway and don't leave valuables in the car.

I will admit that I can leave the car in the garage unlocked but any cars parked outside are left locked and with maybe an umbrella or a surplus of Cheerios.  

My parents live near Bridgeport and everything is locked there.   My brother's bike was once stolen from my parents garage while my dad mowed the lawn!

Healing seems to be going nicely.   I ate real food last night but had to take smaller bites.   Today DH is going to Chiquita's school concert during school hours and luckily for him he misses the closed bridge traffic for the VP commencement speech at the Coast Guard academy.   We have one bridge that gets you from one side of a river to the other.   It's on a huge highway.  They're closing it for an estimated 2 hours (1 in the AM and one in the afternoon) today.  I can only imagine how backed up things will be.
  • Options
    I'm here but was a surprisingly busy this morning.

yeah I don't know who would think leaving a wallet in a locked or unlocked car is a good idea? I'm so paranoid about that! Maybe because my sis is a 911 call taker and hears about break ins every minute of her life?

I have a small ant problem in my house so I bought some peppermint spray and some of those plug ins before I go full force action.  And it was delivered last night but I didnt check my mail till this morning.  I sprayed around the anty areas and in my room (it takes care of ALL bugs and I hate ALL bugs) and as I was spraying I noticed the fan was blowing it on me.  I like the smell but didn't realize how much of it got on me vs the walls.  So far super scent nose in here hasn't said anything.

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Still light on work so heavy on purging. 20 bags are going out the door!

after lunch we’re doing a quick trip to the library then taking the cat to the vet (we won’t be leaving the cat in the car at the library). I’ve got a call with my boss from 5-6, 6let has a baseball game at 6:15. I’m not entirely upset I’ll be late. 
  • Options
    @ShesSoCold, I got a note like that from the police also a few years ago!  Except I didn't have anything in my car, so it was more of a "pat on the head for not keeping valuables in my car" note.  I drive a convertible and am religious about keeping nothing at all in my car.  I don't want someone cutting the $2800 top of my car because they see something they might want and think that's easier than breaking the window.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    School today. The weather is holding as overcast that burns off in the afternoon. It's been great. Last night FI and I had our first solo bonfire at the house, which is funny considering we've been here a year and a half. But we've never really done a bonfire night with just the two of us; there's usually a gang of people over. It was really nice. I probably should have been studying, but it was good to take a break. We've been talking about taking a trip next May. I'm torn on an AI in the Caribbean, or a Caribbean cruise. There are a lot of places I want to go, but I kind of just want something where we don't have to think about what to do, where to eat, etc. 

@mrsconn23 I can't with that Prudie letter. LWs son sent "thousands" of texts and emails that never got a response, but somehow it's the girl's fault? Ugh. 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    School today. The weather is holding as overcast that burns off in the afternoon. It's been great. Last night FI and I had our first solo bonfire at the house, which is funny considering we've been here a year and a half. But we've never really done a bonfire night with just the two of us; there's usually a gang of people over. It was really nice. I probably should have been studying, but it was good to take a break. We've been talking about taking a trip next May. I'm torn on an AI in the Caribbean, or a Caribbean cruise. There are a lot of places I want to go, but I kind of just want something where we don't have to think about what to do, where to eat, etc. 

@mrsconn23 I can't with that Prudie letter. LWs son sent "thousands" of texts and emails that never got a response, but somehow it's the girl's fault? Ugh
    Definitely!  I'm usually one for more "putting someone on notice" that their attentions are not wanted, before getting bent out of shape (depending on the situation).  But "thousands" of texts and e-mails is way past alarming.  She should advocate for her son by taking it seriously, monitoring his phone/e-mail, getting him in therapy, and have discussions with him about the consequences of his actions. Including terrifying his "friend".  Plus, if she shows a good faith effort and his bad acts stop, she can probably talk the other parents out of calling the police.  Which would be a GIFT.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Did you guys see the article that stated the girl in the Tx shooting had "embarrassed" the shooter by being harassed for months and then finally standing up and saying something to him? It's literally the woman's fault no matter what they do. Being harassed and you don't say anything? Why didn't you tell him no? Being harassed and you say something to him? You embarrassed him and that's why you got shot. It makes me so angry. 

• Options
    levioosa said:

@mrsconn23 I can't with that Prudie letter. LWs son sent "thousands" of texts and emails that never got a response, but somehow it's the girl's fault? Ugh
    Definitely!  I'm usually one for more "putting someone on notice" that their attentions are not wanted, before getting bent out of shape (depending on the situation).  But "thousands" of texts and e-mails is way past alarming.  She should advocate for her son by taking it seriously, monitoring his phone/e-mail, getting him in therapy, and have discussions with him about the consequences of his actions. Including terrifying his "friend".  Plus, if she shows a good faith effort and his bad acts stop, she can probably talk the other parents out of calling the police.  Which would be a GIFT.
    Yes, all of this.  

Also, I was thinking about this and instead of saying stupid shit like, "no news is good news" (a phrase I've always felt ambivalent about, but the nurses kept saying it during my mom's surgery last week and while I know they were trying to ease concerns, it really only means, "We haven't heard she's dead or that there's something seriously wrong...yet!" and at the end the news wasn't great...so yeah, that phrase is now on my hate list) and "everything happens for a reason!" (The. Worst.), instead we should say, "No response is a response!" or "If you don't get a response, move on!" 

OR "NO ONE (woman) OWES YOU THEIR ATTENTION!" 

But I digress.  Jenny's lack of response was probably due to fear, since he is fucking obsessive.  Not because she was playing games.  *smh*
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I ordered a few super cheap things from Kohls Sunday when I had a 40% off coupon. My total is $15 and they're sending my order in 3 separate packages. I didn't have to pay shipping so there is no way they're making any money on me with shipping like that. Just seems like a waste!
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    levioosa said:

Yes, all of this.  

Also, I was thinking about this and instead of saying stupid shit like, "no news is good news" (a phrase I've always felt ambivalent about, but the nurses kept saying it during my mom's surgery last week and while I know they were trying to ease concerns, it really only means, "We haven't heard she's dead or that there's something seriously wrong...yet!" and at the end the news wasn't great...so yeah, that phrase is now on my hate list) and "everything happens for a reason!" (The. Worst.), instead we should say, "No response is a response!" or "If you don't get a response, move on!" 

But I digress.  Jenny's lack of response was probably due to fear, since he is fucking obsessive.  Not because she was playing games.  *smh*

I'm feeling you on the "no news is good news" line.  I've never liked that phrase and don't even think it is true a lot of the time.

Sorry to digress back in time.  But I remember medical staff saying a lot of stupid stuff to me also when I was first diagnosed with Type I Diabetes.  "It's so manageable nowadays."  Usually with a story of how bad it was 10 years ago or whatever.  "I know it's terrible news but, with the symptoms you had, it could have been so much worse."  I know they were just trying to help and (I guess) be reassuring.  But when I'm only 20 and just diagnosed with a lifelong, major medical condition...I'm really not in a mood to feel "lucky" that I'm not terminally ill, ffs.

To the second bolded, I've read that ignoring a harasser is typically the best thing to do.  Because most of them are looking for a reaction.  Any reaction.  Whether good or bad.  Doesn't always work, it didn't in the letter.  But I've used that strategy a few times with success.

One time, it wasn't even a personal relationship.  It was a dispute with a tenant who had changed their mind about moving in and wanted their holding deposit back.  We had gone back and forth in person.  Back and forth with texts and e-mails.  Always their initiation and multiple times a day.  I had explained myself over a dozen times and finally e-mailed back that "I'd heard their story.  They'd heard mine.  We didn't agree and I didn't see that changing.  If they wanted to take me to small claims court, that was their right.  But I wasn't going to engage in any further discussions."  They sent me back one more e-mail.  Which I ignored, just like I said I would.  And then their constant harassment FINALLY stopped.  At first I'd been upset that they hadn't moved in, but it was actually a huge blessing in disguise.  They would have been nightmares and made my life miserable.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    levioosa said:

Yes, all of this.  

I'm feeling you on the "no news is good news" line.  I've never liked that phrase and don't even think it is true a lot of the time.

Sorry to digress back in time.  But I remember medical staff saying a lot of stupid stuff to me also when I was first diagnosed with Type I Diabetes.  "It's so manageable nowadays."  Usually with a story of how bad it was 10 years ago or whatever.  "I know it's terrible news but, with the symptoms you had, it could have been so much worse."  I know they were just trying to help and (I guess) be reassuring.  But when I'm only 20 and just diagnosed with a lifelong, major medical condition...I'm really not in a mood to feel "lucky" that I'm not terminally ill, ffs.

To the second bolded, I've read that ignoring a harasser is typically the best thing to do.  Because most of them are looking for a reaction.  Any reaction.  Whether good or bad.  Doesn't always work, it didn't in the letter.  But I've used that strategy a few times with success.

One time, it wasn't even a personal relationship.  It was a dispute with a tenant who had changed their mind about moving in and wanted their holding deposit back.  We had gone back and forth in person.  Back and forth with texts and e-mails.  Always their initiation and multiple times a day.  I had explained myself over a dozen times and finally e-mailed back that "I'd heard their story.  They'd heard mine.  We didn't agree and I didn't see that changing.  If they wanted to take me to small claims court, that was their right.  But I wasn't going to engage in any further discussions."  They sent me back one more e-mail.  Which I ignored, just like I said I would.  And then their constant harassment FINALLY stopped.  At first I'd been upset that they hadn't moved in, but it was actually a huge blessing in disguise.  They would have been nightmares and made my life miserable.

While my dad has lived with T1D for over 40 years, and due to advancements, he's outlived his original life expectancy with the disease, I cannot say I wouldn't be devastated if DefConn or one of my nephews were diagnosed with it.  It still can be life-threatening and it's fucking expensive to manage. 

So yeah, I feel ya on that.  
  • Options

@charlotte989875, don't leave us in suspense :).  How did the interview go?

@NBSquared2017, I hope most of those 175 e-mails went immediately to "delete" or "file, no need to respond", lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's beautiful here and I can't wait to get home and work in my yard some more.  MIL bought me 32 succulents yesterday and I've planted about 2/3 of them!  I also have to laundry and pack for this weekend - much less fun!

I also want to stop at DSW and get a pair of flatforms with my gift card.  

That Prudie letter is terrifying!  How do you advocate for your son?  How about I'm concerned my sons behavior is unsafe and I need to get him help before he hurts someone.

• Options
    It's beautiful here and I can't wait to get home and work in my yard some more.  MIL bought me 32 succulents yesterday and I've planted about 2/3 of them!  I also have to laundry and pack for this weekend - much less fun!

That Prudie letter is terrifying!  How do you advocate for your son?  How about I'm concerned my sons behavior is unsafe and I need to get him help before he hurts someone.

I just heard the word "flatform" for the first time a few days ago!

I can walk in heels, but not platforms or flatforms.  I think it's something with my feet not having direct contact with the ground that really throws off my equilibrium.  Perhaps how a cat feels when it has scotch tape on its paws, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I just heard the word "flatform" for the first time a few days ago!

I can walk in heels, but not platforms or flatforms.  I think it's something with my feet not having direct contact with the ground that really throws off my equilibrium.  Perhaps how a cat feels when it has scotch tape on its paws, lol.

It's a stupid word, but it's really the easiest way to describe them!  I haven't tried them on yet, but I don't like wedges and want a taller, comfortable sandal.
  • Options

@NBSquared2017, I hope most of those 175 e-mails went immediately to "delete" or "file, no need to respond", lol.

It went well, I think. There was nothing they asked me I didn’t know how to answer, the team seems to be doing some really interesting work, and I think I’d like it there. They do have a lot of talented people on the team and I’d be coming from a totally different field so who knows. They have one more candidate to interview then they’ll meet. I should hear something next week. 
  • Options

It went well, I think. There was nothing they asked me I didn’t know how to answer, the team seems to be doing some really interesting work, and I think I’d like it there. They do have a lot of talented people on the team and I’d be coming from a totally different field so who knows. They have one more candidate to interview then they’ll meet. I should hear something next week. 
    Are you able to say what type of work they do?  Your current job does some great stuff too!
  • Options
    I forgot in my original post to say re: the Texas shooter - there's a good chance that story is not true.  The victim was estranged from both of her biological parents, other people are paying for her funeral costs and both bio parents have started Go Fund Mes in their daughters honor (neither of which are raising much money).

The family she had apparently lived with on and off since she was 5 has rebuked the story and are angry that people are led to believe that she would embarrass a student in front of the class.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2018
    Interview this morning and now I’m exhausted. I took the rest of the day off and I need to get grading done but I’m currently snuggled with the cat and dog on the couch binging on Netflix. 
    I did the same, except for the grading, pets and Netflix. I have a column to write for a nonprofit blog that I work on, but otherwise I appreciate the quiet, especially after yesterday. No sooner had I come home yesterday after about a 30-some mile drive but there was a fire drill in my building. The fire alarm was so loud and shrill that I went back out for several hours just to avoid the noise. Compared to that, today is bliss.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Interview this morning and now I’m exhausted. I took the rest of the day off and I need to get grading done but I’m currently snuggled with the cat and dog on the couch binging on Netflix. 
    I did the same, except for the grading, pets and Netfix. I have a column to write for a nonprofit blog that I work on, but otherwise I appreciate the quiet, especially after yesterday. No sooner had I come home yesterday after about a 30-some mile drive but there was a fire drill in my building. The fire alarm was so loud and shrill that I went back out for several hours just to avoid the noise. Compared to that, today is bliss.

My workplace is in an old 6-story building.  Definitely a bit run down and with old systems.  Let's just say I'm glad I don't have to deal with the never-ending maintenance, lol.

It is crazy how often we have "real" fire drills.  We've had two over the last 3 weeks.  It's irritating.

I'm glad today is quieter for you!  How did your interview go?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited May 2018
    Jen4948 said:
    I did the same, except for the grading, pets and Netflix. I have a column to write for a nonprofit blog that I work on, but otherwise I appreciate the quiet, especially after yesterday. No sooner had I come home yesterday after about a 30-some mile drive but there was a fire drill in my building. The fire alarm was so loud and shrill that I went back out for several hours just to avoid the noise. Compared to that, today is bliss.

My workplace is in an old 6-story building.  Definitely a bit run down and with old systems.  Let's just say I'm glad I don't have to deal with the never-ending maintenance, lol.

It is crazy how often we have "real" fire drills.  We've had two over the last 3 weeks.  It's irritating.

I'm glad today is quieter for you!  How did your interview go?

Thanks! It seemed to go well, but it will be a month before I get a final response.

My building has had several real fire alarms since I moved in 2 years ago -- mostly at night. Yeah, that's irritating. But in a way it's good to know that the fire alarms work as required.

• Options

Are you able to say what type of work they do?  Your current job does some great stuff too!
    Yeah, it’s not like top secret or anything (sadly because that would be cool); it’s as a senior quantitative analyst for a large company here doing predictive modeling of behavior and decision-making. So pretty different from what I’m doing now, but using a lot more of my stats and data background. It’s also with a large, profitable company so there would be a lot of opportunity for growth. 

My job does do some great work, but there are some major problems that I was brought in to highlight and propose solutions for and in the year I’ve been here there’s been zero push to actually do anything about. It’s a lot of “Yes we really want to change” but not do any of the hard work that is required. I feel like I believe in the mission of the organization more than the work that is being done day to day. 
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    How was the interview? 

Glad and you’re finally getting some time to relax and rest, you definitely deserve it!
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Jen4948 said:
    How was the interview? 

Glad and you’re finally getting some time to relax and rest, you definitely deserve it!
    Thanks! The interview seemed to go well. The company seems like a good one and I liked the interviewers, so it could be a good opportunity. I'll know in a month.