Wedding Etiquette Forum

The Dreaded Gap

Remember the PPD that I'm attending in June?

The ceremony is at 5:00 pm and the reception is at 7:00 pm with no cocktail hour :(

Re: The Dreaded Gap

• That's like, an intentional gap. Not like the "Oh no I've always dreamed of an evening reception but my Catholic ceremony can't be any later than 1:00" gap. 5:30 - 6:00 is the perfect time to get a reception going. 7:00 is a little late for dinner. But, since this is a PPD with a gap, I wonder if they're even having a full dinner!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • That's like, an intentional gap. Not like the "Oh no I've always dreamed of an evening reception but my Catholic ceremony can't be any later than 1:00" gap. 5:30 - 6:00 is the perfect time to get a reception going. 7:00 is a little late for dinner. But, since this is a PPD with a gap, I wonder if they're even having a full dinner!
    I just assumed that it was a buffet dinner because we were not asked our meal selection when we RSVP'd. I just asked if there was a dinner she said heavy appetizers. I don't know what that means, but I'm definitely hitting up a burger spot in between the ceremony and reception.

I get hangry  :D

• MRDCleMRDCle member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    That's like, an intentional gap. Not like the "Oh no I've always dreamed of an evening reception but my Catholic ceremony can't be any later than 1:00" gap. 5:30 - 6:00 is the perfect time to get a reception going. 7:00 is a little late for dinner. But, since this is a PPD with a gap, I wonder if they're even having a full dinner!
    I just assumed that it was a buffet dinner because we were not asked our meal selection when we RSVP'd. I just asked if there was a dinner she said heavy appetizers. I don't know what that means, but I'm definitely hitting up a burger spot in between the ceremony and reception.

I get hangry  :D

Eesh. Heavy apps CAN be a meal (we did our venue's heavy apps but it was more like food stations) but a PPD + gap, I'm gonna guess the "heavy" apps won't be THAT heavy. Burger sounds like a good plan.
  • Hmmm...I see.  Since the ceremony doesn't mean anything anyway, I would just show up for the reception ;), lol.  Assuming the "ceremony" is over around 5:30, 90 minutes is a LOT of time to just be puttering around looking for something to do.
    There is a history museum fairly close, but it closes at 5:00 PM. We'll probably try to find a bar - since it's a cash bar, we may as well get the party started! 
  • Is this a religious ceremony or are they doing something short and secular? 

Our wedding was at 2 and reception was at 4 and between the drive and the long-winded priest we didn't have a gap.   

I would ask her if the heavy apps means dinner is heavy apps or should you also get a burger before getting there?  I've been to weddings where the cocktail hour had more food than I was served at some weddings with meals.     
  • banana468 said:
    Is this a religious ceremony or are they doing something short and secular? 

Our wedding was at 2 and reception was at 4 and between the drive and the long-winded priest we didn't have a gap.   

I would ask her if the heavy apps means dinner is heavy apps or should you also get a burger before getting there?  I've been to weddings where the cocktail hour had more food than I was served at some weddings with meals.     
    It's not a religious ceremony. I did not ask her about the ceremony length, but I can't see it being more than 1- hour. I'm not too sure about the length of the ceremony as they are already married.

Good call about getting food before, we may do that instead since I am only assuming about the timeline! 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2018
    RSVP no if it's not too late.

If it is, I would not only eat dinner during that gap, but be sure to hit an ATM before you go back so you can afford to buy drinks.
  • Hmmm...I see.  Since the ceremony doesn't mean anything anyway, I would just show up for the reception ;), lol.  Assuming the "ceremony" is over around 5:30, 90 minutes is a LOT of time to just be puttering around looking for something to do.
    There is a history museum fairly close, but it closes at 5:00 PM. We'll probably try to find a bar - since it's a cash bar, we may as well get the party started! 

Of COURSE it is, lol.

"Heavy apps" done correctly can be awesome and filling.  But, based on all the other info you have provided, I'm picturing a few veggie/fruit trays and some sandwich platters.  That are going to be decimated within the first 30 minutes, with no refills.

I'd be getting a hamburger during the gap also!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2018
    Heavy apps means they're springing for some chicken strips with the chips they plan to serve...  Good Lawd, bless their hearts!  Why lie - call a Cake & Punch Reception what it is!

ETA:  Skip the ceremony and the gap, go to a nice dinner...  I'm beginning to think a card is an appropriate gift...
  • Why are you going?
    DH has not seen some family in a really long time so he wants to go - I'm trying to be supportive :-)