Wedding Woes

Send your condolences and no more...unless they reach out to you.

Q. Should I ignore the death of a child?: Two decades ago I dated A. for more than five years. We remained close friends for several years afterward. This changed when he began dating his present wife, B., whom I have never met. B. refused to plan double dates or group activities, and she always found a reason to miss my parties. After their wedding, A. pretty much stopped seeing me.

I recently learned that one of A.’s daughters died last year. She was 3 years old. My first instinct is to write and offer my condolences, but I am fearful that this is the wrong thing to do. For whatever reason, B. obviously prefers that A. stay away from me. My husband thinks I should reach out to A., but I keep procrastinating. I don’t want to do anything to upset A. and B.; at the same time, I worry that A. would be hurt if he ever discovered that I knew about this tragedy and didn’t even bother to send a card. It seems monstrous to ignore the child’s passing, but this is a case where I’ve been cut off, and contacting A. would only bring pain and frustration, correct?

Re: Send your condolences and no more...unless they reach out to you.

• So you haven’t spoken to A in ten years? He’s a stranger. Don’t reach out. 
  • Send a card signed by LW and spouse.   That's it. 
  • I don't think LW needs to reach out, but I also don't think it's out of line should they want to.  I would probably send a card with a short note and then leave it alone.
  • Send a card. Say you're so sorry for their loss and that you're thinking about them. Leave it at that. 

My friend lost her son this winter, she said it really meant a lot to her and her H that so many people thought of her and her son. I think showing up for people during times of tragedy matters. 
  • I agree with you guys, mrsconn & Charlotte. I know a parent is MUCH different than a child, but the people who reached out or came to my mom's service who didn't "have" to really meant a lot.

And I like y our idea, banana, for both LW and spouse to sign the card. If B is the over-jealous type like she sounds, having LW's H sign might show her that LW isn't a threat.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I don't think there is anything wrong with sending a condolence card, if the LW and her H are so inclined.

But, me personally, I wouldn't do it.  Nothing to do with the worrying the wife would be upset.  I just wouldn't have any inclination to reach out to someone that I'd lost touch with a decade ago.  It's a long ago lover/friend, but who is now a stranger to me.  Not to sound heartless, but I'd have a brief moment of sympathy when I first heard the news and wouldn't even think of it again.

Wedding Countdown Ticker