Wedding Reception Forum

Need Ideas on How to End the Reception

So, my ceremony and reception are all held at the same location, and FH and I are staying the night on location too (there is a huge bridal suite on upper level, it's not a hotel, so no one else is staying, the other guests are all leaving the sight). So, I was just at my cousin's wedding this weekend and she had no ending.. no final dance, no nothing and I thought it felt awkward. I originally wanted to do a sparkler exit, but I don't think that makes sense if we aren't exiting. So, any ideas on how to end the reception in a cool way? (And no, I'm not leaving early or anything, just need a way for everything to feel complete in a really cool way!)

Re: Need Ideas on How to End the Reception

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    So, my ceremony and reception are all held at the same location, and FH and I are staying the night on location too (there is a huge bridal suite on upper level, it's not a hotel, so no one else is staying, the other guests are all leaving the sight). So, I was just at my cousin's wedding this weekend and she had no ending.. no final dance, no nothing and I thought it felt awkward. I originally wanted to do a sparkler exit, but I don't think that makes sense if we aren't exiting. So, any ideas on how to end the reception in a cool way? (And no, I'm not leaving early or anything, just need a way for everything to feel complete in a really cool way!)
    The venue coordinators and/or DJ will typically "set the stage" for the signals that the reception is ending. A subtle "last call" will be made with the bar staff.  The DJ will often announce that the last songs are being played. 

I, too, have never seen an actual staged exit.  Typically, guests start to filter out slowly after dinner.  I have rarely been to a wedding as a "last guest" with the exception of the weddings of my own children.  It may feel anti-climatic, but I have never thought of leaving a wedding as anything much more than I would leaving the home of a party at the end of the night.
  • I agree with the above - just do a "last song" announcement, make it a fun one, and then turn the lights on. 

Every time I've been to a wedding where they've done an "exit" it's just awkward and the guests don't seem to like being told to wait around for some sort of last hurrah.

• No need to do anything "cool." Just have the DJ/MC/Band leader announce a last song. Pick a fun one! We had our last dance to Eddie Money's "Take Me Home Tonight." 

I've done the sparkler exit. Most people's sparklers burn out before the happy couple can even start the exit. If you happen to want sparkler photos, you can arrange a photo op with anyone who wants to participate. One wedding I attended did that. There was a patio immediate adjacent to the reception room where people were hanging out anyway, so the band leader announced that it was time to light the sparklers. Anyone who wanted to participate could, and others stayed inside dancing/eating. It was cute, and less awkward than a fake "exit."

• I agree, no need to do anything 'cool' , just do "final dance" or last song announcement
  • I would just do a last song announcement too.
  • Agree with the PPs. You could do Closing Time as a the last song. My friends did that at their wedding and everyone left thought it was hilarious.
  • I've seen the "grand exit" a few times and it's always awkward and takes longer to set up than you think it will. My cousin just did that this weekend and it took FOREVER to get people to follow the directions (even with the DJ announcing it), then the photographers had to get set up & we were just all standing there outside wanting to leave but feeling rude if we did. *Maybe* it would work for smaller groups, but it's still kind of a hassle for your guests just to get you some pinteresty pics. 

99.9% of the time, your venue staff & DJ will take care of it. DJ will often announce last call and the last song, venue staff will flip on the lights & start cleaning up, etc. Most of your guest will pick up on these cues, and the ones that don't will get a gentle reminder from the staff.