Wedding Woes

Tired Thursday

2»

Re: Tired Thursday

• I have no idea if i'll be allowed to post, because TK wasn't cooperating when I tried last time. 

Just popping in to say hi. work has been insane and i think the stress is contributing to my migraines. I'm on day 4 in a row of headaches. I saw my doctor on Monday and got my quarterly botox, some heavy duty painkiller injections, and a 14 day course of steroids, heavy duty NSAIDs, and Valium, because if nothing else, I can knock myself out and try to sleep it off. 

After the torrential downpours in Houston, yesterday (we got about 5-6"), it cleared up and was really nice for fireworks. DK and Wolverine went out on Tuesday and got a bunch of stuff, so we were happy the weather cooperated (and the fact that everything was wet was good for fire prevention.)

We spent some time in June in Seattle. Portland, and the mountains (Rainier, St. Helens), and Willamette Valley (wine country). It was a nice time with beautiful scenery. Highly recommend - it was our first visit, and we enjoyed everything. Awesome food, too. I think there was only one meal where we were kinda meh.

DK is going to Europe on Saturday for 2 weeks - London then Geneva for work. If I wasn't on a project that will be in all day meetings for his entire trip, I likely would have taken Wolverine and tagged along. As a consolation, I'm going to take a diving class while he's gone and work on my night, and navigation certifications. 
  • Nice to see you in these parts @*barbie* To bad you guys can't tag along but your consolation plan seems pretty awesome too! 

• We had a nice quiet 4th. Got the house cleaned, lawn mowed. Went to Old Navy and felt like we the place closed down for us; there was no one there! 

Today after work I have a wake for a coworker's dad. He fell off a retaining wall on his riding lawn mower and the mower landed on top of him. How horrible. 
    Oh my gosh, our neighbor fell off his retaining wall with his push mower recently. Luckily he pushed the mower away from him and "only" suffered a few cracked vertebrae, a broken shoulder and some broken bones in his wrist! I'm so sorry about your coworker's dad! That is horrible.
  • Hi!  I know it's been a while since I've contributed to the daily posts.

Summer break for teachers is very misleading.  I'm at a cafe now studying for my final certification exam and it's boring AF.  It's about a lot of theory of how to teach and a lot of stuff for state certification.  It's hard to get motivated because a lot of the material on the exam pertains to situations not likely to happen to me at an all-girls Catholic college prep school.  For example, we don't have students who are in the process of learning English and we don't have to deal with state-mandated testing.  So, ugh.  I already went to an 8-day course and have a crap-ton to do to get ready for next year.  I've been asked to teach a class on conversational Spanish (it was my 2nd major).  The teacher who taught it the last few years is leaving and didn't really give me much to go on, so I'm essentially creating a new course.  

On a happier note, our 4th was good and we experimented with new recipes that were a success!  We're visiting my side of the family this weekend, which means I'll get time to play with our 3 year old nephew.  He can't say my name just yet, so he calls me "yaya".  I know it means "grandmother", but he's able to address me and he says it with joy ... "YAYAAAAAA!"  And my sister just found out that she's expecting a baby girl, so there will probably be plenty of Pinterest playing to think of ways to decorate and find cutesy girly crap to piss off my sister :)

I hope everyone else is well!  We're headed to DC for a week later this month (staying with my aunts in northern Virginia), so if anyone has tips, let me know!
  • Hey Barbie and @holyguacamole79, nice to "see" you both. 

Work is still kicking my ass. It's almost like as soon as I start to feel like I understand something, it turns out either I'm doing it wrong, or I'm doing the super-simple-thing and what actually needs to be done is much more complex. I know that I'll get it all, it's just hard. H isn't super patient either (but to be fair he's been patient with my crazy work hours for a year now) and it's getting to me. 

Tuesday we met with a contractor, who tried to turn a small job into a massive renovation. Hi, that's not going to happen. So now we need to find a new contractor, but because we're doing a rehab loan for the house we need to have the estimates in before closing. We're getting down to the wire and it's stressing H out. But we met the seller and she was super nice and told me all about the neighborhood. And I got to take more pictures. 
  • @holyguacamole79, I get stabby on teachers' behalf when people think they don't work in the summers or that they actually get off work at 3:00 during the school year. I hope you have some down time this summer and congrats on your new niece! 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @holyguacamole79, I get stabby on teachers' behalf when people think they don't work in the summers or that they actually get off work at 3:00 during the school year. I hope you have some down time this summer and congrats on your new niece! 
    Thank you!!  We're about to go on a road trip and I'm bringing lesson plans to work on while DH drives.  :neutral:  Thankfully I've only run into one student this summer at church, and she was a good one.  The break from being in stage all day is definitely nice.

I hope your summer is going well, too!