Wedding Woes

Still not the weekend yet...

Re: Still not the weekend yet...

• STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2018

I got an interesting call this morning from Section 8 (housing assistance).  In regards to my least favorite, PITA tenant.  Who my H and I have been strongly considering giving a 30-day notice to vacate anyway, putting in new floors, and then selling it.  We're on a month-to-month lease.  Sorry it's a long story!  And this is even the briefer version, lol.

The a/c part of the HVAC conked out a couple years ago in her house.  The heat part still works.  Too expensive to fix for such an old, crappy unit.  Not worth it to replace.  The house is only worth about $60K-$65K and a new HVAC would probably run $6K.

Instead, I put in window units for all the bedrooms and the living room.  Which are SUPER common in this area, anyway.

Unfortunately, on an inspection earlier this year, the inspector pointed out that two of the bedrooms have no other egress, than the window.  So we took those units out and put in portable a/c's, instead.  They still vent through a window, but can be yanked out in seconds, in case of a fire.

Unfortunately again, these bad boys use more electrical power than the window units did.  Our tenant complained back in May that they have to keep flipping the breaker, when both of those units are running.  I sent out an electrician.  Nothing can be done, other than totally rewiring that side of the house.  Definitely not doing that either.

I am TOTALLY sympathetic with her plight.  But I'm not spending thousands on either of those items.  I very clearly told her that.  Twice.  Because apparently she didn't believe me the first time.

I also told her that I absolutely understand if this is not an acceptable situation for her and, if she wants to find a new place, just give me notice.  I'll be super flexible.  It doesn't even need to be a 30-day one.  She just needs to pay for whatever days she is still living there and I'll return the pro-rated rest of the rent.

She didn't want to do that.  She didn't want to move.  Sure.  I haven't heard anything else about it.

Until today.

Her case worker called me because I won't "fix the a/c" and this tenant has requested a "special inspection".  To clarify, she wasn't being rude or mean at all, she was just calling to discuss it with me.  I told her the history on this.  She seemed to understand exactly where I was coming from.  She didn't mention anything else about scheduling a "special inspection".  She said she would call the tenant back and basically relay what I have already told this woman.  That it's not being fixed and her option is to give notice and move.

JFC, what exactly did this tenant THINK was going to happen?  That I'd (maybe) fail the inspection and then replace the HVAC?  Hell no!  Failing an inspection = 30-day notice to vacate for you.  Period.  Not as retaliation, but I can no longer collect rent under a govt. program until whatever has failed is remedied.

I'm not sure she fully grasps the reality that, just because she's lived there for over 8 years...I've owned the house for 3 years, I inherited her...doesn't entitle her to stay there forever, while I waste thousands of dollars to make it "perfect" to her liking.  Especially when she gives zero f**ks about getting the rent to me anywhere near the due date. 

As an aside, I also wouldn't need to put a new HVAC in to sell the house either.  Or rent it to someone else, for that matter.  It would probably raise the value some, but I doubt that higher value would even come close to matching my cost.

I think she thinks you’re going to spend the money to fix the AC? I can’t imagine a landlord pulling this nonsense on me. I don’t care if it’s expensive, the things you told me the apt has need to keep working and not in a way that’s constantly shorting the power. 
  • Leviosa - That is crazy!  Glad FI is ok!  Hope you can get everything sorted out quickly with the insurance companies!
  • Ugh that's obnoxious, S&S. I'm sorry. You're a better person than I. I would have given her notice months, if not years ago. 

My only explanation is she can sometimes have an anger problem and just doesn't think things through.

Because, if she doesn't want to move, then DON'T call for a special inspection and make waves.  Craziness!

And if she changed her mind and does want to move, then she can just find another place and leave.  On my end, I've opened the door wide to make that as easy for her as possible.

She's a PILL.  In my old apt, we had baseboard heating which would suffice, but not a/c.  The summers were unbearable. they had one a/c unit per apt (and btw, this isn't common in our area either) and it was only in the living room.  The bedroom was around the corner from it, so a/c would never reach the bedroom. I would need a chain of fans to whip it around the corner lol.  I was starting to see my now H when I purchased my house but still lived in my apt for months after since it was a short sale and took forever.  I was OK with sleeping in the heat on my own - but I pulled in an air mattress in the living room when he came over.  Embarrassing much?

• I got an interesting call this morning from Section 8 (housing assistance).  In regards to my least favorite, PITA tenant.  Who my H and I have been strongly considering giving a 30-day notice to vacate anyway, putting in new floors, and then selling it.  We're on a month-to-month lease.  Sorry it's a long story!  And this is even the briefer version, lol.

The a/c part of the HVAC conked out a couple years ago in her house.  The heat part still works.  Too expensive to fix for such an old, crappy unit.  Not worth it to replace.  The house is only worth about $60K-$65K and a new HVAC would probably run $6K.

Instead, I put in window units for all the bedrooms and the living room.  Which are SUPER common in this area, anyway.

Unfortunately, on an inspection earlier this year, the inspector pointed out that two of the bedrooms have no other egress, than the window.  So we took those units out and put in portable a/c's, instead.  They still vent through a window, but can be yanked out in seconds, in case of a fire.

Unfortunately again, these bad boys use more electrical power than the window units did.  Our tenant complained back in May that they have to keep flipping the breaker, when both of those units are running.  I sent out an electrician.  Nothing can be done, other than totally rewiring that side of the house.  Definitely not doing that either.

I am TOTALLY sympathetic with her plight.  But I'm not spending thousands on either of those items.  I very clearly told her that.  Twice.  Because apparently she didn't believe me the first time.

I also told her that I absolutely understand if this is not an acceptable situation for her and, if she wants to find a new place, just give me notice.  I'll be super flexible.  It doesn't even need to be a 30-day one.  She just needs to pay for whatever days she is still living there and I'll return the pro-rated rest of the rent.

She didn't want to do that.  She didn't want to move.  Sure.  I haven't heard anything else about it.

Until today.

Her case worker called me because I won't "fix the a/c" and this tenant has requested a "special inspection".  To clarify, she wasn't being rude or mean at all, she was just calling to discuss it with me.  I told her the history on this.  She seemed to understand exactly where I was coming from.  She didn't mention anything else about scheduling a "special inspection".  She said she would call the tenant back and basically relay what I have already told this woman.  That it's not being fixed and her option is to give notice and move.

JFC, what exactly did this tenant THINK was going to happen?  That I'd (maybe) fail the inspection and then replace the HVAC?  Hell no!  Failing an inspection = 30-day notice to vacate for you.  Period.  Not as retaliation, but I can no longer collect rent under a govt. program until whatever has failed is remedied.

I'm not sure she fully grasps the reality that, just because she's lived there for over 8 years...I've owned the house for 3 years, I inherited her...doesn't entitle her to stay there forever, while I waste thousands of dollars to make it "perfect" to her liking.  Especially when she gives zero f**ks about getting the rent to me anywhere near the due date. 

As an aside, I also wouldn't need to put a new HVAC in to sell the house either.  Or rent it to someone else, for that matter.  It would probably raise the value some, but I doubt that higher value would even come close to matching my cost.

I think she thinks you’re going to spend the money to fix the AC? I can’t imagine a landlord pulling this nonsense on me. I don’t care if it’s expensive, the things you told me the apt have need to keep working and not in a way that’s constantly shorting the power. 
    Why is that nonsense?   The alternative is a notice to GTFO.    I'm also guessing that the issue is when BOTH units are running.   There are ways to work around things like that with fans.  Granted, I'm not in NO but when it's been hot here we run an AC where we use them.   Neither kid has an AC in the room but we sleep with an open door and run fans into the kids rooms to move the cold air into where they are sleeping.

@short+sassy just out of curiosity, are there more energy efficient units that use less electricity out there? 
  • levioosa said:
    So someone just totaled FI’s truck. He’s okay but I’m sure stressed out. He parked it on the street and was walking away when another car hit it and destroyed it. No one was hurt and I’m glad they weren’t in the car at the time and were safely away. I’m also really glad they weren’t in his tiny tin can company car. 
    YIKES! So glad he was out of that car!

• STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2018
    banana468 said:

I got an interesting call this morning from Section 8 (housing assistance).  In regards to my least favorite, PITA tenant.  Who my H and I have been strongly considering giving a 30-day notice to vacate anyway, putting in new floors, and then selling it.  We're on a month-to-month lease.  Sorry it's a long story!  And this is even the briefer version, lol.

Until today.

I think she thinks you’re going to spend the money to fix the AC? I can’t imagine a landlord pulling this nonsense on me. I don’t care if it’s expensive, the things you told me the apt have need to keep working and not in a way that’s constantly shorting the power. 
    Why is that nonsense?   The alternative is a notice to GTFO.    I'm also guessing that the issue is when BOTH units are running.   There are ways to work around things like that with fans.  Granted, I'm not in NO but when it's been hot here we run an AC where we use them.   Neither kid has an AC in the room but we sleep with an open door and run fans into the kids rooms to move the cold air into where they are sleeping.

@short+sassy just out of curiosity, are there more energy efficient units that use less electricity out there? 
    If my AC didn’t work my landlord would be paying for my hotel while they fixed it. I signed a lease for an apartment with functional AC. They could not tell me to get out because I expect them to maintain the apartment in the same condition they rented it to me in and they’re obligated to do so. 
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2018
    banana468 said:

Until today.

so what?  If i'm renting a place with central air conditioning, it breaks, then I get window units, then different portable units that trip my breakers, rendering them and potentially other electrical outlets useless - that's not my problem, it's the landlords problem. And btw, window units and central air are in no way equal.  At all. 

And I believe you and your H own your house.  If that's the case, then you CHOOSE to only have AC in your room and not the kids, you don't make those concessions bc you can't actually run multiple units at once bc your landlord won't fix it.

ETA: I totally get that this woman has been a nightmare tenant but I think it's a totally different issue. 

• banana468 said:

Until today.

If my AC didn’t work my landlord would be paying for my hotel while they fixed it. I signed a lease for an apartment with functional AC. They could not tell me to get out because I expect them to maintain the apartment in the same condition they rented it to me in and they’re obligated to do so. 
    I'm curious if that's the full case.     Is it possible that one unit works but two trip the breaker?  If that's the case then it's a pain but not really against the terms of the lease if at least one unit can function without causing electrical issues.  

And I'm curious if if it's common for AC to be included in a lease.   Granted, I live in a climate with winter weather but in the two apartments I rented before moving in with DH, neither included AC.   I brought in my own.

• banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Until today.

I'm curious if that's the full case.     Is it possible that one unit works but two trip the breaker?  If that's the case then it's a pain but not really against the terms of the lease if at least one unit can function without causing electrical issues.  

And I'm curious if if it's common for AC to be included in a lease.   Granted, I live in a climate with winter weather but in the two apartments I rented before moving in with DH, neither included AC.   I brought in my own.

I'm in the Midwest and lived in apartments/rentals for the last 12 years.  I have never rented without AC and if it broke, changing the type of AC (central to window) would not have been acceptable.  As a temporary solution for a week or so, sure - but not longterm. 

There are definitely some building with no AC but it is not common and you know that going in.

• Casadena said:
    banana468 said:

Until today.

so what?  If i'm renting a place with central air conditioning, it breaks, then I get window units, then different portable units that trip my breakers, rendering them and potentially other electrical outlets useless - that's not my problem, it's the landlords problem. And btw, window units and central air are in no way equal.  At all. 

And I believe you and your H own your house.  If that's the case, then you CHOOSE to only have AC in your room and not the kids, you don't make those concessions bc you can't actually run multiple units at once bc your landlord won't fix it.

ETA: I totally get that this woman has been a nightmare tenant but I think it's a totally different issue. 

That is a fair point.   We own and make the choice to do this.  

I'm on the fence.   If it's included in the lease I think she has a legitimate gripe.  

But isn't it a month to month?   So at that point can't the landlord modify the agreement to say, "Sorry but Central AC is no longer part of the rental agreement in the new lease terms.  I can reduce to $ for the following months to accommodate the inconvenience." 

That's the sticking point for me.   It would be far different if it wasn't a month to month.
  • banana468 said:
    Casadena said:
    banana468 said:

Until today.

I'm on the fence.   If it's included in the lease I think she has a legitimate gripe.  

But isn't it a month to month?   So at that point can't the landlord modify the agreement to say, "Sorry but Central AC is no longer part of the rental agreement in the new lease terms.  I can reduce to $ for the following months to accommodate the inconvenience." 

That's the sticking point for me.   It would be far different if it wasn't a month to month.

As long as the landlord acutally re-writes the lease or adds a clause to say that, then I would agree with you.  But until that happens - she's not getting what she agreed to.
  • Casadena said:
    banana468 said:

Until today.

Agreed. That’s the big advantage to being a tenant- you aren’t on the hook for this sort of stuff. 
  • The amount of snot that has come out of my body is horrific.  I think I'm on the downward swing of this nonsense though, hopefully.

We are in the "you don't see K for 4 days straight" middle.  I'm pissy.  Basically, K leaves M at 9;30 pm for overnight work...I get home at 5;30 pm on T, K leaves for roller derby at 6 pm, gets home in enough time to shower, go to work overnight...W I get home at 5:30 pm, K leave for work at 5:30 pm...R is a repeat of T.

My city does this silly Captain [name of city] contest.  It's always been sort of fun and was a nice recognition for different community leaders.  This year it's a hot goddamn mess with the people who were nominated and I'm embarrassed.

I'm sooooooooooooooo ready for the weekend.  We're going out to some restaurant with K's parents on Friday night, Saturday is all about BCBC, and Sunday is volunteering at a pancake breakfast fundraiser.  
  • Casadena said:
    banana468 said:
    Casadena said:
    banana468 said:

Until today.

As long as the landlord acutally re-writes the lease or adds a clause to say that, then I would agree with you.  But until that happens - she's not getting what she agreed to.
    I agree.   The question is what are the current terms.
  • banana468 said:
    Casadena said:
    banana468 said:
    Casadena said:
    banana468 said:

Until today.

I agree.   The question is what are the current terms.
    And even if the landlord is still legally entitled to do this, the tone of the post is really not great. This woman isn’t being a crazed nightmare by expecting her landlord to maintain her apartment even if it turns out that she doesn’t have a legal claim. 
  • I think she thinks you’re going to spend the money to fix the AC? I can’t imagine a landlord pulling this nonsense on me. I don’t care if it’s expensive, the things you told me the apt have need to keep working and not in a way that’s constantly shorting the power. 

In my defense, I completely agree that this isn't what she has bargained for.  That's why I gave her the option to find another place with no financial ramifications for her, on my end.  I know moving sucks, but it's not like she just moved in either.  She also easily could have found another similar home that accepts HUD and moved within 1-2 weeks.  It's now been almost two months and she has still chosen not to do that.

It isn't nonsense.  It's almost my whole net cash flow for that house, for a year.  On a major house repair that I don't find necessary.  I'm not obligated to do that.  But I do feel obligated to work with her.  Also, this isn't an issue where it is "no ac at all" vs. shorting the power.  It is an issue of running 3 out of 4 units, instead of all 4 units, at the same time.

The power shorting...and I'm not even sure how often that happens, she's never told me...only potentially happens if all 4 units on that side of the house are running at the same time.  I'm not even required to put a unit in every, single room of the house.  Most houses with window units, including my own personal one, don't have that.

I chose to do that, to ensure there is plenty of a/c to go around for them and it doesn't get diminished by walls.  If they left all/most of the doors open so there is air flow, they wouldn't even need to run all 4.  There is also a 5th one in the living room, on the other side of the house, that is on a different electrical run.  

I'm also not saying they should be forced to leave most of the doors open, if that's not their MO.  Just pointing out that this would have been an easy, temporary solution if they found things so bad they wanted to move.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    It’s section 8 housing. You don’t just pick up and move to another section 8 place. 
  • I can't say I'd be going out of my way to help out a tenant who basically makes you beg for the rent every month either, S&S.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • So... on another topic... anyone else fans of Wimbledon?  There's a video of Rafa Nadal tumbling into the stands and basically all women and gay men are wishing they were in the place of the woman he actually fell on top of. 
    Swoon...

(And now I can't find the link to the video but it was on Wimbledon's Facebook page.) 

Serena's killing it, obviously, and Federer was unseated, bit shocking. 

• Have any of you watched Dietland?  B/c I started it last night and I'm in love.  
  • Oh!  I posted above without seeing the other comments.  I'll try to reply to what I haven't covered.

• It is currently a month-to-month lease.  It's been years since I looked at this specific one.  But it probably does list I'm responsible for a/c and heating, because I usually have something like that in my leases.  Whether it is or not, I'm not disagreeing it is my responsibility.  I just feel I have 90% lived up to that, hit a wall, and gave her the option to leave. 
    • I personally don't think it is that big of a deal.  I have rented houses that didn't have an a/c unit in the bedroom I slept in.  With that said, I don't think she is being silly or being a nightmare.  At least about being unhappy with the situation.  I understand where she and some of the rest of you are coming from.
    • But that's what I keep coming back to.  She could have just moved, if she no longer liked the circumstances.  I invited her to talk to me, if that is what she chose, and I would do what I could to make it easier.  If she'd come to me shortly after we'd talked about it and, in a reasonable non-screaming tone, said, "Jenny, this isn't working out for my family and I do need to find another place, but X/Y/Z are what I am struggling with."  I would have been open to doing more.  Even though I wasn't legally obligated to.
    • She is a problem tenant, though more on the paying her rent side.  I don't especially like her as my tenant or as a person.  However, that has no bearing on my decision.  I would never withhold a repair...that I feel should be made...just because a tenant is a PITA and never upholds their end of our agreement.
    • FWIW, I always make repairs asap for my tenants.  Sometimes ones I'm probably not responsible for but, when they're minor, I don't mind.  This is the first instance I've had where I don't agree this is a necessary repair.
    • Way back when the a/c portion of the HVAC broke to begin with, I also acknowledged this was a major enough change to what she had originally moved in with that...if she wanted to move out...I'd understand and do what I could to help with that decision.  Almost verbatim to what I told her two months ago.  She was fine with the window units.  At least she seemed satisfied and never complained about them.  And she would have, if she'd been unhappy. 
    • We originally put in larger portable a/c's in those rooms.  When she first complained about the power short, we replaced them with the smallest ones we could find.  Though they are still big enough to cool a room twice the size of each bedroom.  We were actually pretty shocked the problem the shorts still sometimes happened.  They use barely more electricity than the window units, but apparently it can be just enough tip the scale (sigh).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just got one of those things that stick to the back of your phone to make it easier to hold on your shoulder.

I put it on crooked. And it's driving me nuts.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2018
    6fsn said:
    It’s section 8 housing. You don’t just pick up and move to another section 8 place. 

In this area, you usually can.  I have a different S8 tenant, who had been given a 30-Day Notice to Vacate by her previous landlord because he was moving family into the house.  She signed a lease with me and moved out of that house and into mine, about 10 days later.  It could have even been sooner, but that was the move-in date she wanted.

It is a little bit of a gamble on the LL's side when it's that fast because, although you and the tenant agree on a particular rent, S8 can change it.  They usually take about 3 weeks after the lease has been signed to make that determination.

But HUD rent for any particular area and number of bedrooms is fairly consistent, so most LLs (in NOLA) are good with that.  I was. 

However, you do have a point.  It is just largely dependent on what area/city is being talked about.  In some areas, it is SUPER hard to find S8 housing.  I watched a heartbreaking documentary about the S8 problem in Dallas.  People can be on the waiting list for years.  Finally get a voucher.  But then they lose it if they don't find housing within 3 months.  And they often can't.

In other areas, S8 tenants get fought over by LLs and have no problems.

NOLA is somewhere in the middle.  S8 tenants aren't "fought" over.  But there is a lot of housing available that accepts this voucher program. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @levioosa, I was so sorry to read your post!  Yikes.  What an awful thing to have happen.  But thank goodness and what a miracle that he was already far enough away from the car that he wasn't injured.

I hope everything with the other driver's insurance goes smoothly and he can find another great car soon.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTT said:
    Have any of you watched Dietland?  B/c I started it last night and I'm in love.  

I had not heard of this show and used Google.  It sounds like more of a documentary series?  That would be interesting!

I feel like there is such an extremely warped view of beauty in our society.

Thanks for the mention and recommendation.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTT said:

I had not heard of this show and used Google.  It sounds like more of a documentary series?  That would be interesting!

I feel like there is such an extremely warped view of beauty in our society.

Thanks for the mention and recommendation.

It's definitely a fiction series, but it's very...raw, I guess.  It does look like a documentary.  I just keep watching it and cheering or gasping.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    VarunaTT said:
    I am in total love with this show. LOVE. 
  • Thanks everyone. I guess we’re car shopping after all. Lol. 

• So... on another topic... anyone else fans of Wimbledon?  There's a video of Rafa Nadal tumbling into the stands and basically all women and gay men are wishing they were in the place of the woman he actually fell on top of. 
    Swoon...

(And now I can't find the link to the video but it was on Wimbledon's Facebook page.) 

Serena's killing it, obviously, and Federer was unseated, bit shocking. 

Did you hear that Kate and Meghan are both going Saturday?