Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Name Change Help

I got married a few months ago but am still undecided on if/how I’m going to change my last name. I was wondering if there is a time limit to starting the process. I know you can legally change your name at any time but my understanding is that the process is different and more simple when filing for a name change after marriage (don’t have to go through court system, etc.) Does anyone know what the cutoff is on going the simple after marriage route vs. needing to go through the court? 

Thanks in advance!

Re: Name Change Help

• I got married a few months ago but am still undecided on if/how I’m going to change my last name. I was wondering if there is a time limit to starting the process. I know you can legally change your name at any time but my understanding is that the process is different and more simple when filing for a name change after marriage (don’t have to go through court system, etc.) Does anyone know what the cutoff is on going the simple after marriage route vs. needing to go through the court? 

Thanks in advance!
    I would imagine that this varies by state and maybe even county. Best to google your local laws.
  • You’d need to look this up for your specific place where you live. 
  • It varies based on where you live. I know a woman here who changed her name after 15 years of marriage. 

Even if you have a time clock, don't let that rush you. The legal name change is not as simple, but it's a couple hundred dollars and not a huge ordeal. It's worth it to make sure you're really sure. Once you change, you can't change back.  
  • It varies based on where you live. I know a woman here who changed her name after 15 years of marriage. 

Even if you have a time clock, don't let that rush you. The legal name change is not as simple, but it's a couple hundred dollars and not a huge ordeal. It's worth it to make sure you're really sure. Once you change, you can't change back.  
    This. I waited 6 or so months and it was fine, but definitely check with your local and/or state laws. I know a few people who have legally changed names without marriage and it's not THAT bad. I definitely recommend waiting until you're sure you know what you want to do, even if it mean having to do it in civil court.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • edited March 2019
    I'm not changing my name.  I did not want to change my name with my first marriage, but I was young and stupid and thought I "had" to. Now I'm older, wiser, and want to keep the same name as two young children.  I may change it when they are adults and then again I may not, because I don't see why a woman has to go through all the hassle of name changing just to get married.

Be sure it is what you want before you make any changes.  I should have kept my maiden name the first time and wished I had now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards