Wedding Woes

He's not in the 'middle', he put himself there

Dear Prudence,

About four years ago, I made the decision not to return to university for junior year. It was the most difficult choice I’d ever had to make. My best friend at the time, Melanie, took it very badly. After months of fighting, denigrating my decision, complaining about not getting enough attention, and reminding me how much my choice harmed other people, the friendship began to wear on me and I ended it. Another friend from school, Josh, stuck by me, and we ended up dating. We have been in a fairly serious relationship for about two years now, entirely long-distance. He is a wonderful partner: funny, kind, curious, intelligent.

Melanie and Josh are also friends. Although I don’t love this, I have worked to come to terms with it. Josh rarely mentions her to me or vice versa. Recently, Melanie became upset with him for keeping his latest visit to me a secret. Josh thought she had every right to be upset, and felt guilty that he had kept this from his “closest friend.” He hates being in the middle of a situation he cannot fix. Although I was aware they socialize, I had no idea they were so close. It makes me deeply uncomfortable to know that he is so close to her—and that he kept it from me. I have no desire to let Melanie back into my life, but I also do not want to lose Josh. How do I move forward knowing my boyfriend continues to be close friends with my ex–best friend?

—Concerned and Conflicted

Re: He's not in the 'middle', he put himself there

• Josh is acting like a weasel to his girlfriend and Melanie.  

C&C (Music Factory) needs to talk to Josh to figure out what kind of a relationship it is that they have.   Josh should not feel compelled to check in with others and tell other mutual friends about his plans and that he feels like this is a betrayal to a friend smells of either ulterior motives on Josh or Melanie's part or Josh's need to grow the eff up.  Either way my guess is that C&C and Josh are going to need to part ways.
  • This is weird.  LW has the right to have cut off the relationship with Melanie.

Josh has the right to not be all up LW's ass with news of Melanie and still be friends with Melanie.  I can see why LW is upset by it, but LW seems to have worked through it, so call it good.

However, Melanie is an asshat.  Melanie didn't have a right to be upset about her friend leaving college to that extent, and Melanie doesn't have a right to know every single detail of Josh and LW's relationship or where/what he does and Josh felt it had to be a secret?  Something is definitely off about Melanie.
  • VarunaTT said:
    This is weird.  LW has the right to have cut off the relationship with Melanie.

Josh has the right to not be all up LW's ass with news of Melanie and still be friends with Melanie.  I can see why LW is upset by it, but LW seems to have worked through it, so call it good.

However, Melanie is an asshat.  Melanie didn't have a right to be upset about her friend leaving college to that extent, and Melanie doesn't have a right to know every single detail of Josh and LW's relationship or where/what he does and Josh felt it had to be a secret?  Something is definitely off about Melanie.
    Agreed with all this, but Josh made a misstep bringing up Melanie's reaction to LW.  How is her reaction a surprise to him? Melanie's acted unhinged in the past regarding friend's decisions.  He only has to look to LW as an example of that. 

His better path would have been to say nothing to LW and tell Melanie to knock her shit the fuck off.  Feeling guilt and wanting to appease Melanie for BS behavior on her part is Josh's problem, not LW's.  
  • How does dropping out of college result in Melanie not getting enough attention from LW? Is it because LW wasn't there all the time anymore? And why would Melanie think she deserves attention during what sounds like a tough time in LW's life? I'm confused by that part.

• I think the LW's only concern should be if Josh and Melanie are actually a romantic item.  That's exactly what I would be thinking, if it wasn't for Melanie already showing her BSC colors on the LW dropping out of school.

But, assuming the LW has no worries about that and is only hurt that the friendship is closer than he (maybe) let on, I'd tell him, "Look Josh.  New rules.  No lies.  And that includes lies by omission.  You don't need to avoid the subject of Melanie with me.  Yes, I think she is an intrusive, obnoxious crazy pants.  And you just got a taste of that.  But, if you want to be friends with her anyway, be my guest.  Your friends are your friends to choose."

I re-read the letter.  Okay.  So I guess her real problem is she doesn't like that he's close friends with Melanie.  LW, it's not a "choice" if you don't make it a "choice".  You're getting all wound up about a friend your b/f has, who you never even have to see because she lives in a different place from you.

I hate to sound insensitive.  Because I'm trying to understand the problem.  I'm just not seeing it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think the LW's only concern should be if Josh and Melanie are actually a romantic item.  That's exactly what I would be thinking, if it wasn't for Melanie already showing her BSC colors on the LW dropping out of school.

But, assuming the LW has no worries about that and is only hurt that the friendship is closer than he (maybe) let on, I'd tell him, "Look Josh.  New rules.  No lies.  And that includes lies by omission.  You don't need to avoid the subject of Melanie with me.  Yes, I think she is an intrusive, obnoxious crazy pants.  And you just got a taste of that.  But, if you want to be friends with her anyway, be my guest.  Your friends are your friends to choose."

I re-read the letter.  Okay.  So I guess her real problem is she doesn't like that he's close friends with Melanie.  LW, it's not a "choice" if you don't make it a "choice".  You're getting all wound up about a friend your b/f has, who you never even have to see because she lives in a different place from you.

I hate to sound insensitive.  Because I'm trying to understand the problem.  I'm just not seeing it.

I'm seeing this as Melanie is a crazypants.   Josh loves the LW.   Josh may have some underlying feelings for Melanie too.   My hunch is that Josh is a super nice guy with ZERO backbone.  

Josh is the kind of guy who does not understand boundaries and limits.  If he doesn't grow up Josh will be the same person who says, "But baby I don't want to hurt my mom's feelings," and we'll have to tell his future FI that she has a partner problem not a FMIL problem.