Wedding Woes

Monday, Monday

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited August 2018 in Wedding Woes
What a freaking weekend.  

The good:  We went boating on Saturday.  I got on a jet ski for the first time in about 20 years.  Still as fun as ever, but my muscles were feeling it yesterday. 

DH's cousin's wife had their baby this morning. I cannot wait to see pics of the new cutie.  

The bad: DH's uncle is still in ICU and it's been a rough ride (this is cousin's dad and baby born this morning is the first grandchild for them).  They thought they were going to lose him Saturday (last rites were being given and everything).  He's stable, but definitely not out of the woods.  Thankfully, the baby was born in the same hospital where he is, so DH's aunt can go back and forth between him and the baby. 

DH's other cousin is a travel nurse and between contracts right now, so she was able to pack up and come home to help her mom out.

And DH's local uncle (MIL's brother) was supposed to be watching FIL's dog, but he got in a car accident (he's fine,  but his FIL was his passenger and not wearing a seatbelt (smh), so he ended up in the hospital).  He called us and asked us to come get FIL's dog.  We sent the kiddo over after we got back from boating.  We should have just taken her for the weekend again, but FIL was all worried about messing up our plans. 

How goes it for y'all?  ;) 

Re: Monday, Monday

• @mrsconn23, so sorry to hear that about DH's uncle :(  but glad the baby is happy and healthy! (assuming) 

Me?  I came in early for a meeting that didn't happen.  It was a place holder for a SUGGESTION of a meeting.  I wondered about my 8:00 central time since they're on the west coast and it would have been 6;00 a.m. for them. Oh well, I'm leaving early anyway for dinner with friends so I actually should have been in earlier than that. lol.

I'm back on the diabetes meds and requested the freestyle libre instead of finger pricks.  I hate them SO MUCH.  TMI: but I can never stop bleeding when I use them.  The libre, albeit NOT cheap, so far is better. You put a sensor on you, and the sensor has a tiny wire that goes under your skin.  It doesn't hurt.  It stays on for 10 days (even worked out/showered with it) and continuously monitors my blood glucose levels with a scan of a device instead.  I'm still baffled at WHY they're so high but at least I'm taking the right steps to monitor it.

H and I saw Christopher Robin on Saturday.  Cute. Not great.  My H loved it.  We then decided to go out for dinner, and saw a well advertised "Coyote Cannon" around the corner.  Looked like a steakhouse.  Cool.  We walked in and found it to be a steak buffet, which the signs said INside but nowhere out.  I'm usually not one for buffets and ESPECIALLY now since I go for quality vs quantity.  But since we were already there we stayed.  It wasn't terrible.  But it wasn't great.  In the end, we found out it worked out for us because if we ate at a sit down place we would have had to leave since H got called for his shift earlier than he expected.  But now we know - Coyote Cannon is a buffet.  And not a great one.

• @mrsconn23, so sorry to hear that about DH's uncle :(  but glad the baby is happy and healthy! (assuming) 

Yep, all is good.  Been messaging with the mama.  She's good, but tired.  DH's aunt was up meeting her grandbaby when we were chatting, which...all the feels. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018
    hmmm went to edit my post and it disappeared. Not a dirty delete.  Oh well. Just said I was happy with my prickless blood glucose monitor, despite the hefty cost.  Wonder if this edit clears this post?
    edit: nope. :)
    Oh man, T&P to your family, mrs.conn! 

I had a great weekend. Went down to Bears training camp Saturday, got my picture with the dreamy Zach Miller. Saturday night we went to a play that my friend was in. She had a very small part (Romeo's mom in R&J) but I like to be a good friend and go to her plays. 

Sunday morning we did ALL of the running around and then just kind of vegged. As much as I like a clean house, sometimes it's worth it to put it off for a day or two and relax a little. 
    It sure is. Once a year I have someone come in and "spring clean" and do a once over on my house.  I don't think I did that this year with the surgery and recovery and all.  I'll have to move that to the fall because it FEELS SO GOOD!

• I was in Cleveland for my nieces birthday. 

Bless my sister, she had 17 seven and eight year little girls running around her house. I was exhausted. 

DH and I started researching gardening. I really want to grow my own garlic - I think we are going to plant some this fall. 

Other than that, SSDD
  • Our weekend was nice!  We had a great ocean front room in OC MD, which we didn't even have to pay for!  We used our hotel points - woohoo!  One of the benefits to charging daycare to the cc!  When we would put DD down for bed, we would go out to the balcony and relax with a beer!  We had some great food, went to a Peach festival in nearby Berlin, and walked the boards.  We didn't do the beach or pool, but didn't need too!  There was so much do to besides the beach!

We will be catching up on some errands and chores this week.  On Saturday we have a couple's shower, which H is dreading.  I told him all he has to do is show up and drink some beers.  He is so anti-social sometimes!

Catching up from Friday:

Charlotte - I can't believe all that has happened!  Are you guys just waiting for Wednesday now?

Jen - Have you looked into Uber/Lyft or even being a Shipt shopped?  That way you can at least earn some money. You would set your own hours, so you should still be able to collect unemployment as long as you stay at part-time hours.

• The weekend was good but too short!

Friday night I had a mani/pedi - ahhhh.  It was badly needed.  Saturday we had a birthday party  and then went to visit my Mom.  Sunday was church, lunch and errands.  

My BFF's daughter is 22 weeks pregnant with twins and last week they discovered she was dilated 2 cm and had a potential infection.  They did an amnio and waited several days for the cultures to come back.  She didn't have any symptoms and the cultures did not show anything. Thank God!  She is now on bed rest.  Lots of prayers for her and those little ones.  

I've been recruited for a new position and have an interview today.  It's not something I sought out but it's a position that fits my skills and I think I would really like.  I've only been in my current job for 14 months, so I will feel a bit guilty if I get an offer.  (It's all in the same institution)
  • It was a heckuva weekend.  We saw the not-on-purpose worst drag show ever on Friday night.  I was pissed and refused to tip after the performers after I gave them each a tip.  My cover shouldn't cost more than your costume, thankssomuch.  And it was an expensive cover, comparatively.  I was also able to meet up with some friends that I really enjoy on Friday night, which was great.

Saturday we were walking to the park for the event and saw more drag queens coming into the hotel for the park show.  K and I were like, Oh, those performers are put together, we'll watch the show.  Turns out, we knew about half of the performers and had a ton of fun, and ended up at their evening shows.  They were all people K is friends with from competition that we don't get to see very often, but truly enjoy.  So that was awesome. 

Friday, we went into this awesome toy store and the clerk was newly out queer baby (we say this bah-bee and it's a term of endearment) that tried to hit on K after complimenting K's styles, tattoos, and body mods.  K managed to work our relationship into their conversation and get baby to back off a bit.  Baby clerk then tried to keep talking to us all day on Saturday at the festival.  I wanted to be nice; I was also like...I'm on vacation with my partner and we want to relax and be together, could you just not?

Overall, good relaxing weekend, with lots of fun shopping, drinking, partying, and general good times.  I didn't want to come back to the real world today.
  • Fly out at oh:dark:thirty in the morning tomorrow to go back to my hometown (So. CA) for a visit.  On the down side, I just checked in for my flight and it is SO MUCH BULLS**T.  Not only are my H and I not being seated together, but we were initially BOTH in middle seats.  Don't know what I did to deserve such a huge F**K you from Delta.  I am absolutely livid about it.  However, I was at least able to switch mine to a window seat.  It was the last window or aisle seat available.  I was waiting to see if they tried to smack me with an extra charge, but they didn't.  Hopefully, if the middle seat person next to me is a "single", they'll be willing to switch with my H. 

In addition to visiting friends and family, I will be eating all the carne asada burritos.  Extra guacamole.  I can almost taste it now, lol.

The weekend was house cleaning, packing, and lots of errand running.  NOLA treats and gifts to grab for family!  My H and I had lunch at a restaurant we've been wanting to try.  Spendier prices than we were expecting.  But my Pineapple Mojito was light, refreshing, and made with real fruit and my meal was fantastic and unique.  A slightly spicy tomato/cream sauce served over shrimp/avocado/mushrooms.  Alas, for my H, he said his meal was nothing special.  he also ordered a Coke and they brought out a glass bottle.  So, no refills.  That's always a side-eye, especially with no warning.  I doubt we would return, but I really liked what I got.

I don't want to jinx myself, but work has been going smoothly and I'm actually ahead of schedule for what I "absolutely must finish" before going on vacation.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mrs.conn - sending prayers for your H's uncle. 

This weekend was fun. We had dinner with my bro and his new fiance on Friday. They got engaged a week ago in Costa Rica. Hopefully they're getting married next June. 

Saturday we picked out new siding for the house, and a new front door. Work should begin next month! 

The rest of the weekend we just relaxed, cooked, cleaned. It was really nice. 
  • edited August 2018
    All the good thoughts to your H’s family @mrsconn23

We had a similar weekend sadly. Saturday night my Dad went into the hospital because he had extreme low oxygen levels and yesterday he was transferred to the ICU. So I was there late Saturday night and all afternoon and evening last night. I ran a 15k early Sunday morning then went back to the hospital. He’s doing better today but still in the ICU and will be for a few days. 

And i I woke up with a bad cold. I’m at work but thinking I’m going to head home and work from there. 
  • Our weekend was nice!  We had a great ocean front room in OC MD, which we didn't even have to pay for!  We used our hotel points - woohoo!  One of the benefits to charging daycare to the cc!  When we would put DD down for bed, we would go out to the balcony and relax with a beer!  We had some great food, went to a Peach festival in nearby Berlin, and walked the boards.  We didn't do the beach or pool, but didn't need too!  There was so much do to besides the beach!

We will be catching up on some errands and chores this week.  On Saturday we have a couple's shower, which H is dreading.  I told him all he has to do is show up and drink some beers.  He is so anti-social sometimes!

Catching up from Friday:

Charlotte - I can't believe all that has happened!  Are you guys just waiting for Wednesday now?

Jen - Have you looked into Uber/Lyft or even being a Shipt shopped?  That way you can at least earn some money. You would set your own hours, so you should still be able to collect unemployment as long as you stay at part-time hours.

Sadly, yes. Our agent said we could do a force close but it takes ten days so we might as well just deal with Wednesday. It’s fine because of all the craziness that happened this weekend. And H found out Friday he has a job interview tomorrow. 
  • I just read a fun statistic.

Last year, the Tooth Fairy gave out 256 million dollars. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

world wide translated to american currency? Or american US dollars? 

answers. I need answers! 

• Charlotte and MrsConn- ((Hugs)) I am sorry you are going through such difficult times.

my weekend was good. But my last few days have been great. I have been so productive and it feels amazing. I finally got the light in the dining room hung, bought some baby stuff, organized our closets and drawers, got the car into maintenance, scheduled cleaners, made Dr.s appointments, blah blah blah... it doesn’t sound like a lot of paper but my days have been full and busy, with more to come. By the time DH gets home I will be ready for a nap, lol.

world wide translated to american currency? Or american US dollars? 

answers. I need answers! 

The source I read that on did not say.  It is a financial advice column called the Moneyist.  They claimed their stat came from Delta Dental.  I assumed the U.S.

I looked it up, to be sure ;).  I couldn't find a second source for numbers in 2017.  But, in 2016, it was $290 million just in the U.S.  I think we can safely assume $256M last year was only for the U.S.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Fly out at oh:dark:thirty in the morning tomorrow to go back to my hometown (So. CA) for a visit.  On the down side, I just checked in for my flight and it is SO MUCH BULLS**T.  Not only are my H and I not being seated together, but we were initially BOTH in middle seats.  Don't know what I did to deserve such a huge F**K you from Delta.  I am absolutely livid about it.  However, I was at least able to switch mine to a window seat.  It was the last window or aisle seat available.  I was waiting to see if they tried to smack me with an extra charge, but they didn't.  Hopefully, if the middle seat person next to me is a "single", they'll be willing to switch with my H. 

In addition to visiting friends and family, I will be eating all the carne asada burritos.  Extra guacamole.  I can almost taste it now, lol.

The weekend was house cleaning, packing, and lots of errand running.  NOLA treats and gifts to grab for family!  My H and I had lunch at a restaurant we've been wanting to try.  Spendier prices than we were expecting.  But my Pineapple Mojito was light, refreshing, and made with real fruit and my meal was fantastic and unique.  A slightly spicy tomato/cream sauce served over shrimp/avocado/mushrooms.  Alas, for my H, he said his meal was nothing special.  he also ordered a Coke and they brought out a glass bottle.  So, no refills.  That's always a side-eye, especially with no warning.  I doubt we would return, but I really liked what I got.

I don't want to jinx myself, but work has been going smoothly and I'm actually ahead of schedule for what I "absolutely must finish" before going on vacation.

I think glass bottle is vastly superior! I never expect refills for free though. 

I think glass bottle is vastly superior! I never expect refills for free though. 

We do realize that individually packaged beverages are charged per unit.  We didn't even ask about free refills.

It's just more the point that, because the vast majority of restaurants use fountains and have free refills, it should be mentioned when each beverage serving is its own charge.  Because we wouldn't have spent $3.50 on only 10 oz. of Coke, if we had known that ahead of time.  It felt very "bait and switch".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @charlotte989875 and @mrsconn23 good vibes for your families. 

@short+sassy I haven't heard many good things about Delta lately. I even know people who avoid flying them at all costs. 

Pretty good weekend. Saturday I studied and then went out to dinner with FSIL and FBIL. We went to Claim Jumper since FSIL has never been but man are the portions way different than they used to be. They're almost "normal" (for the US) sized now. Sunday we vegged and watched some movies and then I studied more. 

Studying today for my final on Wednesday. The teacher keeps adding to the study topics which seems a little unfair for two days before the final, but I'm not surprised. It just makes things more stressful. I'm really worried about Yosemite. I don't think it's going to be a viable option. The valley is indefinitely closed and containment of the fire is only at 38%. Trying to find a campsite with toilets and a shower this close to departure is almost impossible. The ones I have found won't allow campfires right now. We've spent two years planning this trip so it's really disappointing. We'll make the best of it, but trying to find a new spot is making it really stressful in the interim. 

• We do realize that individually packaged beverages are charged per unit.  We didn't even ask about free refills.

It's just more the point that, because the vast majority of restaurants use fountains and have free refills, it should be mentioned when each beverage serving is its own charge.  Because we wouldn't have spent $3.50 on only 10 oz. of Coke, if we had known that ahead of time.  It felt very "bait and switch".

I don't even know of a place that doesn't use fountains tbh. Even worse is aluminum cans.  Thanks.  I know that's .25 cents.  Still going to charge me $2.50? awesome. There was a place we went to that did, but it has since closed.  I'd feel the same way!

levioosa said:

Pretty good weekend. Saturday I studied and then went out to dinner with FSIL and FBIL. We went to Claim Jumper since FSIL has never been but man are the portions way different than they used to be. They're almost "normal" (for the US) sized now. Sunday we vegged and watched some movies and then I studied more. 

We order claim jumper a lot @ work and I agree - the dishes are small.  Even after surgery I can finish one up and be 'content'.  Not even full. And I had 80% of my stomach removed.  How do people who DIDN'T have that eat?  Oh - but the salad! The salads are huge.

• levioosa said:
    @charlotte989875 and @mrsconn23 good vibes for your families. 

@short+sassy I haven't heard many good things about Delta lately. I even know people who avoid flying them at all costs. 

Studying today for my final on Wednesday. The teacher keeps adding to the study topics which seems a little unfair for two days before the final, but I'm not surprised. It just makes things more stressful. I'm really worried about Yosemite. I don't think it's going to be a viable option. The valley is indefinitely closed and containment of the fire is only at 38%. Trying to find a campsite with toilets and a shower this close to departure is almost impossible. The ones I have found won't allow campfires right now. We've spent two years planning this trip so it's really disappointing. We'll make the best of it, but trying to find a new spot is making it really stressful in the interim. 

I rarely fly Delta.  They're usually one of the more expensive options but, in this case, they were the second cheapest option I found, but with a much more convenient schedule.  However, my current irritation will be kept in mind for the future.

I forgot about Claim Jumper!  Maybe I should put them on the list while I'm in CA.  Though that's a bummer to hear their portion sizes have gone down.  That was one of the things that was so great about them.

I am so sorry to hear about the Yosemite trip!  That really, really sucks.  I know how much you've been looking forward to it and hope you all have a good time, in spite of everything.

My friend's parents live in Idylwild and were extremely lucky their house made it through unscathed, though they were evacuated for almost a week.  Homes two blocks away from them were burned down.  Most of the surrounding forest is gone.  So many sad stories coming out of CA and other parts of the West right now.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018
    I'm glad your parents are okay @short+sassy. Was it one of the fires that was started by that arsonist? 

I'm also worried for Yosemite from a business point of view. The park budget has been cut so drastically and clearly this administration cares 0% for protecting and ensuring the park system's wellbeing for the future. Yosemite is losing out on millions of dollars in peak season. People are losing their homes and livelihoods and it all sucks. 

ETA: On a brighter note, I thought I found a perfect campsite for us instead of Yosemite. It had showers, a pool, wifi, toilets, and beautiful hiking areas. Perfect. Then I started to read the reviews and found out it was a "clothing optional" campground. Lol, nope. Too bad, it sounded great. But I got a kick out of imagining FI's family realizing that we were at a nudist camp once we arrived. 

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018

Our weekend was nice!  We had a great ocean front room in OC MD, which we didn't even have to pay for!  We used our hotel points - woohoo!  One of the benefits to charging daycare to the cc!  When we would put DD down for bed, we would go out to the balcony and relax with a beer!  We had some great food, went to a Peach festival in nearby Berlin, and walked the boards.  We didn't do the beach or pool, but didn't need too!  There was so much do to besides the beach!

Catching up from Friday:

Thanks, @OliveOilsMom. Unfortunately, for various reasons, ride sharing isn't workable for me.

Congratulations to your family, @mrsconn23!

Good luck with the move, @charlotte989875.

• actually, we order Claim Jumper at work, and may be getting the lunch portion sizes? But seriously, at dinner costs! So maybe that's why its so small? I haven't been at the place in a while. 

• levioosa said:
    I'm glad your parents are okay @short+sassy. Was it one of the fires that was started by that arsonist? 

I'm also worried for Yosemite from a business point of view. The park budget has been cut so drastically and clearly this administration cares 0% for protecting and ensuring the park system's wellbeing for the future. Yosemite is losing out on millions of dollars in peak season. People are losing their homes and livelihoods and it all sucks. 

ETA: On a brighter note, I thought I found a perfect campsite for us instead of Yosemite. It had showers, a pool, wifi, toilets, and beautiful hiking areas. Perfect. Then I started to read the reviews and found out it was a "clothing optional" campground. Lol, nope. Too bad, it sounded great. But I got a kick out of imagining FI's family realizing that we were at a nudist camp once we arrived. 

No, not my parents.  My friend's parents.  And, yes, it was a fire started by an arsonist.  So extra evil.

I don't know, if there aren't many options out there, maybe it's worth broaching the subject with FI's family.  There might be a lot of people in the same situation and higher percentage than normal will be choosing the option of "clothes", lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy oops, reading fail. I'm glad they're okay. That asshole arsonist started 9 different fires around our area, including Idylwild. We're having a hard enough time with normal brush fires turning into monsters without shitty sick people starting more. And I don't know if I want to take that chance considering FI's family is fully of judgy conservatives. If it was just FI, me, FSIL and FBIL we probably would go for it. Side note: I had never heard of hipcamp.com before yesterday but it's interesting. Like airbnb for camping. 

• Had a good weekend. Went to Ohio to visit DS1 and DIL. We took some furniture to them. DS2 has decided to job search in Indy so he can distance himself from his exGF. I head back to Chicago on Wednesday. I haven't seen the grandbabies for over a week and a half and am having major withdrawal LOL! 

So sorry about your H's family @mrsconn23 but yay for new baby! Hope Wednesday happens @charlotte989875! I know that is so frustrating!
  • levioosa said:

No, not my parents.  My friend's parents.  And, yes, it was a fire started by an arsonist.  So extra evil.

I don't know, if there aren't many options out there, maybe it's worth broaching the subject with FI's family.  There might be a lot of people in the same situation and higher percentage than normal will be choosing the option of "clothes", lol.

I'm glad they're okay. Those fires are terrible and evil.
  • Had a good weekend. Went to Ohio to visit DS1 and DIL. We took some furniture to them. DS2 has decided to job search in Indy so he can distance himself from his exGF. I head back to Chicago on Wednesday. I haven't seen the grandbabies for over a week and a half and am having major withdrawal LOL! 

So sorry about your H's family @mrsconn23 but yay for new baby! Hope Wednesday happens @charlotte989875! I know that is so frustrating!
    The struggle is REAL!

• MobKaz said:
    Had a good weekend. Went to Ohio to visit DS1 and DIL. We took some furniture to them. DS2 has decided to job search in Indy so he can distance himself from his exGF. I head back to Chicago on Wednesday. I haven't seen the grandbabies for over a week and a half and am having major withdrawal LOL! 

The struggle is REAL!

Because they grow up so darn fast!