Wedding Woes

Thursday

CharmedPamCharmedPam member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited August 2018 in Wedding Woes
Happy Thursday!

Yesterday I went home, ate a power bar for dinner (oops?) did all the vacation laundry I had piled up, unpacked, cleaned the house and then zonked out by 10.

Really looking forward to the long weekend though. I'm torn from doing a mini getaway tomorrow with H, like maybe a 2 or 3 hour car ride and hit up a b&b (we do have hotels com credit) or staying home in our comfy bed, see movies from our A list pass, and not spend that much because this trip was expensive.

Do I live life the fullest or adult?  What. Do. I. Do?

Re: Thursday

• I’m so happy this week is flying.

I went to the ophthalmologist yesterday and was informed I need surgery to remove the bump where the sty was located. Apparently, the sty is gone, but my body created a little bump to protect the rest of my eyelid. It’s not super noticeable, but I can tell and it drives me crazy. Unfortunately, I can’t get on the surgical calendar till October, so I’m stuck with a little lid lag till then. The upside is that I can start wearing eye makeup again. Thank goodness. If one more person asked me what was wrong or if I was sick – I was going to snap.

H text me and told me he cleaned the kitchen and the living room. He’s usually very helpful around the house, but he’s been super sweet lately. We are having a tiny fruit fly issue – I’m not sure where they are coming from as we don’t keep fruit long enough for it to start to ferment. Maybe they are coming out of the drains? I cleaned all the drains like crazy and there are still one or two flying around. Do you think bleach will get rid of them?

Tonight I’m grocery shopping for my cousins to visit tomorrow! 

• I'd stay home, if I were you, Pam, and save the money. It sounds like you're not SUPER excited about going out of town and maybe you will be next time. This is what I tell myself when I'm talking myself in or out of Blackhawks tickets. LOL

H has to have his finger in a splint for 10 days and he has to clean and re-wrap twice a day. Thankfully he can do all of this himself because I cannot handle blood or injuries or anything like that. At all. 

I woke up early today to work out and I feel good. I need to get in the regular habit of doing that every day because it makes my work day easier and I'm less annoyed. And my annoyance is a problem. I didn't have any leftovers to eat for lunch today so I have to eat out. Debating whether to have Hy-Vee sushi or Panera. 

I started reading the book about that Netflix show The Staircase. I'm excited to finish the book and then watch the series to see what they got wrong. LOL 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Pam - Fiscally responsible me says skip the B&B, but fun me says go!  So I'm no help!

Last night was just busy, busy, busy.  I picked up DD after work and H had just finished too.  So we met at the diner for dinner instead of the pizza place.  I knew it would be easier for H to get to and closer to home for him afterwards too.  I knew he was beat!

DD and I had just enough time for me to eat dinner, because we had to leave the diner to get to DDs well check visit at the doctor.  I literally grabbed a handful of her pancake and put it in her cup holder, so she could keep eating on the drive to the doctor's!  She is growing great and the doctor is happy with everything.  She was literally 5 days too soon for her 2nd round of Hep A vaccine.  So we will have to go back just for that.  Really - she couldn't get it before Sept 3rd!  So this means I will have vaccine cranky DD for longer than usual.  Had I known, I would have just waited to schedule this well visit!

Not sure what is up for tonight.  I'm hoping we get out early a little bit tomorrow for the holiday weekend.  No news yet though.

• I'm here.  Trying wrap my head around some stuff.  This year is trying to break me and I'm trying not to let it.  But I'm not sure how much more can be thrown at me or my family. 

I just need to make it 4:30 and then I'm off for a 4 day weekend.  We're going to the farm, but DH's uncle is still in the hospital...so I'm having mixed feelings about going out there without him being out there with us.  

DH's crazy aunt is in town since it's the US Nationals for drag racing and wants to have dinner.  I cannot with her ass today and told DH as much. I told him he's welcome to take DefConn (kiddo's working tonight). 

Sorry for being a downer.  I'll post up Prudie here in a few. 
  • Hugs MrsConn!
  • Oh you're not a downer, mrs.conn. Sending good vibes and hugs to you and your family.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • yeah, I know we just came back from a wonderful vacation and i have to cool it on the weekends out.  But with my H, he gets  weekends off few and far between which is the only reason I want to do it so quickly.

Good job on the growing baby @oliveoilsmom
    @shessocold, I don't do wounds either.  Glad H is self sufficient. 
    @mrsconn23, you need something good to happen to you with all that's going on! 

• @CharmedPam, I think only you can answer your question, ie would it still fit comfortably in the budget, without causing credit card debt.  I'm on a similar fence.  I really want to go to NYC in the Fall.  I could afford it without going into 'cc debt, but I just spent a good chunk on my CA trip.  Making it even harder.  I have a special from my Amex card for a Buy Two Nights, Get One Free at specially selected hotels.  I've already checked out the "special hotels".  There are a lot of choices and some of the nightly rates are what I would expect to spend.

@NBSquared2017, sorry to hear you need eye surgery!  At least it sounds like a fairly minor one, but still.  Yeesh.  Funny enough, I was recently researching causes/cures for fly problems.  One of our tenants has complained twice about this over the last few months.  She's a great tenant and we hate to be, "Yeah, so?  What do you want us to do about it?"  But, that is essentially the answer.  Per our lease, tenants are responsible for their own pest control.  Because 9 times out of 10, it is something they are doing.  In this case, she even lives in a duplex and the other tenant doesn't have any problem with flies.  Not to mention, it's a flying insect.  We especially can't control that.  However, I still wanted to look up if there are some easy/cheap things we could do to help.  Here is what I found:

1. Clean drains.  I was not aware of that, but I see you are on the ball with it ;).  FYI, do not pour bleach (even diluted) down your drain.  It won't clean a drain or do anything positive and could potentially cause a chemical reaction.
    2. Pull your appliances back and fully clean under them.  There is so much gross, including food particles, under appliances.  Sometimes that can attract flies.
    3. Here's a link with a number of low-cost, DIY options to deter flies.  It's mostly about deterring house flies, but fruit flies are mentioned also.  Plus, I'd bet most/all things that deter house flies will also work for fruit flies.  Many of them are gentle remedies, like hanging citrus oil:

https://www.rapidhomeremedies.com/get-rid-of-flies.html

I am debating, debating, debating about taking Fri. off and turning it into a 4-Day weekend.  I have plenty of vacation time and that would normally be my MO.  But I have a lot of errands to run on Friday anyway, some of which are near my work.

Plus, our network is still down, but will be back up either sometime today but definitely by tomorrow (supposedly).  Killin' me.  And I can't prepare or run my weekly reports until they are back up.  No one would blame me if I had to wait until Tuesday, but still.

I'm kinda leaning toward just going to work.  But then take a different Friday off for another, my own personal, 3-day weekend, lol.

My plans for this weekend are to finally do some major de-cluttering and organization.  But there will also be plenty of time to laze around and sleep in.

The other big thing we have going on is we will finally have an answer, one way or another, as to what the heck our tenant is doing, who got the notice to vacate.  Her last day is Friday, Aug. 31st.  I sent her a text a few days ago asking for a good/day time later this week for her to give me the keys.  Per her usual, she ignored me.  If I still haven't heard from her by mid-day Friday, I'll send her another text to give her a "heads up".  That, unless we hear differently, we're assuming they'll be out of the home by the end of the day and we will be going over on Saturday to check out the conditions and expedite the return of her security deposit.

We're expecting the worst, but hoping for the best.  Per our usual with her, lol.  She's surprised us before by coming through at the last minute with doing what she is supposed to.  I really hope this is another one of those times.  Otherwise, I know it will put a bit of a damper on my long weekend.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just put in to take Friday off.  I swear to everything, I didn't realize it was a long weekend until yesterday.  But, if I take tomorrow off, that's 2 whole days with K and that's pretty darn nice.  I was going to try and get in a float tomorrow, but it's pouring here, so the river will probably be up to high and not very clear, so it won't be much fun.

Other than that, SSDD.
  • Hey, weird random question for you WW OGs - what happened to Heffalump? I hope us refugees didn't unintentionally run her out of her own board.
  • @CharmedPam - I would for sure be staying home.  Especially after a longer vacation I love to have the time to do nothing in my own space :)

@NBSqaured2017 - sorry about your surgery!!  I have no idea a sty could cause something like that. 

@short+sassy - personally, I'd rather have two 3-day weekends than one 4-day weekend!  especially if your errands are close to work, i'd probably just go

Work has been great this week - I'm super motivated and focused and excited about doing some things that I've been kind of dragging on lately.  Not sure if it was the really good meeting on Tuesday or my Whole30 diet changes (I've read one of the benefits is improved focus/clarity/etc) or what, but I'm really digging being excited about work.  Overall, I like my job a lot but the past month or so have just been really sluggish and unmotivated. 

I have a page long list of inside cleaning to get done this weekend and I can't wait.  We haven't deep deep cleaned since we moved in 3 months ago.  Also, it's supposed to be rainy all 3 weekend days so cleaning and maybe shopping will be a great weekend.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

hugs @mrsconn23

@CharmedPam- I'd probably skip it, but I think I'm starting to enter my "I just want to be home" phase

@NBSquared- good luck with the eye!

I'm in company research hell. It's not hard, but tedious to find information on 200+ companies. 

Tonight is soccer practice.  DH is working late AGAIN so I'll take all the kids and my dinner.  He'll meet us up there and take them all home while I get to stay for curriculum night.  I am actually curious about all of this 4th grade stuff.  They have homework planners and he takes a chromebook every day.  Shit is serious. 

Our new mattress comes on Tuesday!  I need to wash the new sheets and mattress cover. DH and I need to rearrange the bedroom too.

• @CharmedPam, I think only you can answer your question, ie would it still fit comfortably in the budget, without causing credit card debt.  I'm on a similar fence.  I really want to go to NYC in the Fall.  I could afford it without going into 'cc debt, but I just spent a good chunk on my CA trip.  Making it even harder.  I have a special from my Amex card for a Buy Two Nights, Get One Free at specially selected hotels.  I've already checked out the "special hotels".  There are a lot of choices and some of the nightly rates are what I would expect to spend.

@NBSquared2017, sorry to hear you need eye surgery!  At least it sounds like a fairly minor one, but still.  Yeesh.  Funny enough, I was recently researching causes/cures for fly problems.  One of our tenants has complained twice about this over the last few months.  She's a great tenant and we hate to be, "Yeah, so?  What do you want us to do about it?"  But, that is essentially the answer.  Per our lease, tenants are responsible for their own pest control.  Because 9 times out of 10, it is something they are doing.  In this case, she even lives in a duplex and the other tenant doesn't have any problem with flies.  Not to mention, it's a flying insect.  We especially can't control that.  However, I still wanted to look up if there are some easy/cheap things we could do to help.  Here is what I found:

1. Clean drains.  I was not aware of that, but I see you are on the ball with it ;).  FYI, do not pour bleach (even diluted) down your drain.  It won't clean a drain or do anything positive and could potentially cause a chemical reaction.
    2. Pull your appliances back and fully clean under them.  There is so much gross, including food particles, under appliances.  Sometimes that can attract flies.
    3. Here's a link with a number of low-cost, DIY options to deter flies.  It's mostly about deterring house flies, but fruit flies are mentioned also.  Plus, I'd bet most/all things that deter house flies will also work for fruit flies.  Many of them are gentle remedies, like hanging citrus oil:

https://www.rapidhomeremedies.com/get-rid-of-flies.html

I am debating, debating, debating about taking Fri. off and turning it into a 4-Day weekend.  I have plenty of vacation time and that would normally be my MO.  But I have a lot of errands to run on Friday anyway, some of which are near my work.

Plus, our network is still down, but will be back up either sometime today but definitely by tomorrow (supposedly).  Killin' me.  And I can't prepare or run my weekly reports until they are back up.  No one would blame me if I had to wait until Tuesday, but still.

I'm kinda leaning toward just going to work.  But then take a different Friday off for another, my own personal, 3-day weekend, lol.

My plans for this weekend are to finally do some major de-cluttering and organization.  But there will also be plenty of time to laze around and sleep in.

The other big thing we have going on is we will finally have an answer, one way or another, as to what the heck our tenant is doing, who got the notice to vacate.  Her last day is Friday, Aug. 31st.  I sent her a text a few days ago asking for a good/day time later this week for her to give me the keys.  Per her usual, she ignored me.  If I still haven't heard from her by mid-day Friday, I'll send her another text to give her a "heads up".  That, unless we hear differently, we're assuming they'll be out of the home by the end of the day and we will be going over on Saturday to check out the conditions and expedite the return of her security deposit.

We're expecting the worst, but hoping for the best.  Per our usual with her, lol.  She's surprised us before by coming through at the last minute with doing what she is supposed to.  I really hope this is another one of those times.  Otherwise, I know it will put a bit of a damper on my long weekend.

@short+sassy I did not think about moving the appliances! I am sort of obsessive when it comes to wiping down counters but I rarely wipe where the appliances are. I'll give that a shot. We put out vinegar and soap and that seems to catch the few there are. It's just aggravating because I can't identify where the source is. 

I appreciate your input!!
  • @short+sassy I did not think about moving the appliances! I am sort of obsessive when it comes to wiping down counters but I rarely wipe where the appliances are. I'll give that a shot. We put out vinegar and soap and that seems to catch the few there are. It's just aggravating because I can't identify where the source is. 

I suspect most people don't do it very often.  It's probably every 1-2 years for my personal home (eek).  But I do that as part of my "deep clean" for my rental units, between tenants.

Brace yourself!  It ranks at the top of my list for being the grossest, nastiest household chore ever.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy I did not think about moving the appliances! I am sort of obsessive when it comes to wiping down counters but I rarely wipe where the appliances are. I'll give that a shot. We put out vinegar and soap and that seems to catch the few there are. It's just aggravating because I can't identify where the source is. 

I suspect most people don't do it very often.  It's probably every 1-2 years for my personal home (eek).  But I do that as part of my "deep clean" for my rental units, between tenants.

Brace yourself!  It ranks at the top of my list for being the grossest, nastiest household chore ever.

meh.  I'm probably less than that.  I HATE taking off the grills - cleaning those, cleaning the surface, trying to make them fit again....
    Just go out to eat. 

meh.  I'm probably less than that.  I HATE taking off the grills - cleaning those, cleaning the surface, trying to make them fit again....
    Just go out to eat. 

Actually, cleaning the top of my personal oven, we do more often than that.  Not a lot more often, lol.  But a few times a year.  It's the floor under appliances that always gives me the heebie-jeebies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I put apple cider vinegar or red wine in a small bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and poke holes in that.  They crawl in and can't crawl out and drown.  The few times i've had the, "I cannot find it!" this has cleared it up in a few days.  Then I usually find the culprit.
  • VarunaTT said:

@short+sassy I did not think about moving the appliances! I am sort of obsessive when it comes to wiping down counters but I rarely wipe where the appliances are. I'll give that a shot. We put out vinegar and soap and that seems to catch the few there are. It's just aggravating because I can't identify where the source is. 

I put apple cider vinegar or red wine in a small bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and poke holes in that.  They crawl in and can't crawl out and drown.  The few times i've had the, "I cannot find it!" this has cleared it up in a few days.  Then I usually find the culprit.
    oooh I'll try adding the saran wrap! Thank you!
  • Bummer @mrsconn23, I’m feeling the same way. It’s just a lot right now and I’m not handling it well. I feel like I’m bringing things down here, but it’s tough. Sometimes I feel like I’m just getting through the day. 

On a a lighter note; we get out at 3 tomorrow and have Monday off. I have a lot of unpacking and painting to do but I’m going to try and get some relaxing in.