Wedding 911

Still haven't received our Wedding Video, 1+ year after wedding! (XP)

mandurmaemandurmae member
First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited September 2018 in Wedding 911
My husband and I got married over a year ago and we still have not received our wedding video! The package we chose was supposed to include: 8 hrs of service, 5-7 min highlight video, clean edits of our ceremony, toasts, special dances & digital downloads. Our contract states that our video would be delivered 8-12 weeks after the wedding for our highlight and 14 weeks for remaining videos. It's been over and we have received zero in return. My husband and I were required to pay in full a month before our wedding date. Our videographer hasn't given us any reason or explanation for the delay. He refuses to respond to any of my calls or emails. For the times that he did decide to respond to me, it was to give us a new delivery date. He's given us 4 new delivery dates. He has been active on all of his social media accounts, and has even completed and published weddings that happened after ours. I was able to connect with 4 other couples who were clients of his that are experiencing the same issue as me, and I'm seriously considering filing a law suite at this point. Have any of you experienced something similar? What should I do? ...And for those that care to know so you can avoid the same mistake we made, the guys name Joe McCalip. His production company is called "Joseph Alan Productions" and his Instagram: @josephalandotnet

Re: Still haven't received our Wedding Video, 1+ year after wedding! (XP)

• I would file a law suit.
  • A few things: 1) if you post on multiple boards, but XP in the title. Most people check the same boards. 2) WOW that font is huge and is hard to read on mobile 3) I answered you on the other post. 
  • Answered on your other post. Yes, please do XP. 

• mandurmaemandurmae member
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2018
    Apologies about that..edited to include XP in the title. Although it looks like The Knot deleted my other post...
  • As much as it is frustrating, I would file a small claims suit against him and his company.  Depending on your jurisdiction, there is a fairly small window to file.  Usually two years, but it could be as short as one year.

I'd also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau against his company.

HOPEFULLY,  if he gets served with a lawsuit, he will finally cough up the video, in order to avoid going to court.  But the harsh truth?  If he doesn't and you get a monetary judgement against him, there is a good chance you'll still never see a dime.  Especially for a guy who I'm assuming is self-employed.  He doesn't even have any wages to garnish, if he refuses to make good on the judgement.

With a judgement that remains unpaid, you could then put a nasty hit on his credit report.  There are companies that can make those entries for a nominal fee.  I think less than $20.  Or you can turn it over to a collections agency who will buy the debt for pennies on the dollar.  You won't get much out of it, but you'll put him in collections harassment hell and would also be a big negative mark on his credit.  If wants to use his credit for something over the next 7 years, like buying a house, he'll usually be denied with either an unpaid judgement or an unpaid collection showing up.  So then he might pay it.  For home loans specifically, most banks would require a debt like that paid off before going to closing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mandurmae said:
    Apologies about that..edited to include XP in the title. Although it looks like The Knot deleted my other post...
    That’s so weird! 

Any mods (@shessocold @MobKaz) able to explain?
  • As much as it is frustrating, I would file a small claims suit against him and his company.  Depending on your jurisdiction, there is a fairly small window to file.  Usually two years, but it could be as short as one year.

I'd also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau against his company.

HOPEFULLY,  if he gets served with a lawsuit, he will finally cough up the video, in order to avoid going to court.  But the harsh truth?  If he doesn't and you get a monetary judgement against him, there is a good chance you'll still never see a dime.  Especially for a guy who I'm assuming is self-employed.  He doesn't even have any wages to garnish, if he refuses to make good on the judgement.

With a judgement that remains unpaid, you could then put a nasty hit on his credit report.  There are companies that can make those entries for a nominal fee.  I think less than $20.  Or you can turn it over to a collections agency who will buy the debt for pennies on the dollar.  You won't get much out of it, but you'll put him in collections harassment hell and would also be a big negative mark on his credit.  If wants to use his credit for something over the next 7 years, like buying a house, he'll usually be denied with either an unpaid judgement or an unpaid collection showing up.  So then he might pay it.  For home loans specifically, most banks would require a debt like that paid off before going to closing.

This is so true. The big problem is if the contract was with the company and not him individually. If so, you can only sue the company, not the individual. If the company has gone out of existence, you may be screwed. 

I put this in the other post, but TK seems to have eaten it. I would also check with BBB and any review site you can think of if he is still in business.
  • mandurmae said:
    That’s so weird! 

Any mods (@shessocold @MobKaz) able to explain?
    I have NO idea. I saw it earlier too on the other board.

Weird!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Thanks everyone for your advise so far! I've finished writing reviews across Yelp, The Knot and Wedding Wire. Working on filing a complaint with BBB now. I'll probably give him a week before following up with him again and figure it out from there to see if it gets his attention. He's got to still be in business, he just posted two days ago on his Vimeo account for a wedding that happened in January 2018 (my wedding was in September 2017). The contract was with him individually and states preeeettty clearly what's expected of both parties. I've also saved all e-mails with time stamps if ever this does get to court.
  • Your best solution may be a meet in the middle where you're refunded some of the cost and given full copyright and copies to all of the source files.  Ask what this is worth to you, and definitely enlist an attorney for the process.  Including before posting on social media to be sure there aren't any clauses pertaining to this!