Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Dress Material

I am getting married in December of 2019 and I am trying to find bridesmaid dresses.  I wanted my party to choose their own style from either David's Bridal or Azazie.  The problem is, I hate chiffon with a passion.  It stains really easily.  I would prefer red/burgundy satin but it's really hard to find for some reason.  Does anyone have any advice?  Any other companies to go through?  Any secondary materials I could go with?  I am not a fan of everyone wearing the same exact dress, which is why I liked the idea of David's Bridal and Azazie.  Thank you!

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Material

• I just realized it's mesh that I hate and stains, not chiffon lol.  I would still love ideas though on other sites to go through :).  
  • Honestly, I wouldn't look at all for at least another 5 or 6 months.   Styles may change and the may be new colors.    It's too early to really dig in unless you're just trying to get an idea. 
  • It's far too early to have asked BMs at all, much less be looking for BM dresses. Styles will come and go between now and next December, and some may gain or lose weight between now and then. Heck, there's still time for someone to get pregnant and have a child between now and next December.

When the time comes about 6 months out, tell them any burgundy from DB except chiffon, and let them choose. But honestly, telling them not to go with a specific fabric because of potential staining is really micro-managing. They are adults and should be able to choose a fabric that works for them on their own. 
  • Azazie charges you to try on dresses which is the biggest load of crap ever. If you're fine with them picking their own style I would HIGHLY recommend giving them a color and length and letting them figure it out.
  • Do you have a Nordstrom by you (and by all the bridesmaids)? They have a nice wedding shop with a big BM dress selection. I wore a coordinated look for a wedding- we had a choice of three dresses by one designer. 

But, I've also done David's Bridal for coordinated dresses and it worked out really well. Those stores are everywhere so it shouldn't be hard for the ladies to pick out dresses. We actually had a mix of mesh/chiffon and satin in our bridal party, just all the same color, and it still looked great. 

• Also, giving people a little more freedom is nice because they can often get dresses from sites like ebay or poshmark, etc for much cheaper.  I've done this as a bridesmaid in a few weddings and it's been so nice to be able to pay $40 for the EXACT same dress I could have bought in the store for like $125.  ALSO, be careful requiring satin - it's very hard to fit everyone nicely especially if it's a body-skimming style. I wear a size 12-14 and am in pretty good shape, but there's no way in hell you could get me to wear a red satin dress. 
  • YES!  Ditto @ernursej about satin.   It shows all flaws and wrinkles SO easily.

• Yep, I'm with those who detest satin! If you have any doubts, just watch an episode of Say Yes to the Dress in which the bride tries on a satin dress. Even a size 4 girl can look like a cow in a fitted satin dress!
  • Staining is not an issue unless your bridesmaids are below the age of 10 and you're serving Koolaid...  Wait until June/July to look at dresses for the BM - as the others have mentioned, a lot can happen in a year (size changes, babies, etc.) and you can still pick out a color to work from. 

Another "Satin is a love/hate fabric to wear".   
  • David's Bridal just declared bankruptcy, so I hope Azazie or another company can give you what you want.
  • Jen4948 said:
    David's Bridal just declared bankruptcy, so I hope Azazie or another company can give you what you want.
    Say what!! << heads to Google >>

• Jen4948 said:
    David's Bridal just declared bankruptcy, so I hope Azazie or another company can give you what you want.
    It's a bankruptcy restructure, it's not going out of business. More like American Airlines than Alfred Angelo. The stores are staying open for the foreseeable future. 

Although, OP, this is just another reason it's too early to be dress shopping. Not only will many of the styles you see now not be available, the dress stores may not even exist that far out. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    It's a bankruptcy restructure, it's not going out of business. More like American Airlines than Alfred Angelo. The stores are staying open for the foreseeable future. 

Although, OP, this is just another reason it's too early to be dress shopping. Not only will many of the styles you see now not be available, the dress stores may not even exist that far out. 
    I think David's Bridal does plan to close some stores, though, so I'd check whether your local store is one of them.
  • ^^^Even if her local store isn't closing, they may have some supply issues. Vendors don't want to risk doing business with a company that may not be able to pay them. Personally, I'd steer clear of any David's Bridal shop until it's clear they're back on solid footing.