Wedding Woes

"It's just not our aesthetic."

Dear Prudence,

My husband and I are moving to the city where one of my dearest friends lives. She really wants us to move to her neighborhood (“You can walk over for barbecues! Go on morning runs together!”). I love the idea of being close, except I hate her neighborhood. It’s a bunch of huge McMansions with things like fake turrets and nonsensical designs. I get why she and her husband chose it—there’s lots of space for their big family—but you couldn’t pay me to live there. On paper, though, it makes a lot of sense: It’s close to my work, in my price range, etc., so my friend doesn’t seem to catch on to my polite demurrals (“That might be a little too much house for us” or “We’re looking in a lot of neighborhoods.”) What can I tell her besides “your house is hideous”?

—Hideous House

Re: "It's just not our aesthetic."

• Happy medium:  buy close to that ‘hood.

• How different are the homes a few streets away?   Look there!
  • Turrets?  Did they say turrets?  Are these castles, because now I'm interested ...

• Check out McMansionHell dot com too... it's comedy gold.

Also, "Move into my neighborhood of McMansions!" is code for "no one buys McMansions anymore, too many are empty and it's depressing my property values, help."

• Ro041 said:
    "We are looking for a neighborhood with [more vintage charm], [shops and restaurants nearby], [less yard], [public transit in the neighborhood] etc etc"  

I had some friends who did EXACTLY this when they moved into their McMansion neighborhood.  We just politely kept telling them that we weren't interested in the 'burbs.

I think the friend is mainly just excited that the LW and her H are moving to their city.  I think the LW is making a bigger deal about this than it is.

They should just keep repeating they are more looking for houses in X-Y-Z styles and/or A-B-C neighborhoods.  There is no need to say anything bad about that neighborhood and the McMansions in it.

I had a good friend when I first moved to NOLA...she has long since moved to Houston :(...and my H and I went over to their house often.  She occasionally mentioned how it would be so much fun if we moved to their neighborhood...ranch houses, white picket fences, children playing on green front lawns.  I agreed with her sentiment, but pointed out it wasn't my style without insulting theirs.  Like, "I know!  We would enjoy living closer to you all.  And the houses are so affordable for how nice, new, and spacious they are.  But, you know me, I can't live in the suburbs."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2018
    @Ro041
    Well, I got excited for nothing - those aren't even nice turrets.  I was hoping for a wall-walk.

edited for grammer error

• Ro041 said:

I especially love all the bitchy commentary, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Who knows - there may be the original farm house that the McMansions were built on she may be able to purchase!  Or, an older housing development nearby with smaller homes.  
  • Ro041 said:

My favorite is "It's like a McDonald's from 1996 except a house and in hell." LOL!! I snorted out loud at that one. 
  • Ro041 said:

My favorite is "It's like a McDonald's from 1996 except a house and in hell." LOL!! I snorted out loud at that one. 
    “Complexity Level: Calculus IV (while drunk). 

Favorite. 
  • Ira Levin modeled Stepford Wives after DH's hometown.  It's McMansion Palooza depending on the street you drive down but you can also drive to find nice quiet colonials.     They're also generally designed by developers who wanted big and ostentatious but with one heating zone they cost a metric butt load to heat in the winter.