New York-Long Island

Villa Lombardi's Nightmare

Villa Lombardi's was the first catering hall that we looked at. Having been to the Lombardi's in the past, we knew they do a wonderful job and their food is always top notch. I am not sure of his title (catering director?) but the person who showed us around and went over pricing detail was Craig. While we really loved the Villa, it seemed to be out of our budget for a Saturday wedding. Craig asked us where else we were looking and we went over our list with him:
East Wind
Miller Place Inn
Bellport Country Club
Gerogios
Criag had negative things to say about each venue which we thought was unprofessional but we didn't give it much thought.
We proceeded to thank Craig for his time and on our way out, Craig asked us to give him a call before we book a venue and he would speak to the Lombardi's and see what he can do. We kept that in the back of our mind as we went to look at other venues.
Our tour of East Wind was great. Elizabeth took great care of us and we had a really great feeling about the place, it was in our budget and were just about to book with them when we got a call from Craig for Villa Lombardi's asking how our search was going. We informed him that we were close booking with East Wind because we liked the Venue a lot and because it was in our budget. Craig asked us what East Wind quoted us and when we told him $85 per person ++, he said he would be able to match that quote because we were such a "nice couple". Very surprised and excited, we agreed to come down the following day to go over everything. Craig just asked that we bring in our written quote from East Wind and we would have a deal. So we meet Craig at Villa Lombardi's the following day. Craig immediately asked for the written quote from East Wind and started bashing the venue. For 10-15 minutes Craig claimed that he used to work for East Wind and proceeded to tell us bad things about the food, the kitchen and the facility. This really rubbed us the wrong way. After our quick tour of Villa Lombardi's, we went up to Craig's office. Craig leaves the room with our East Wind quote and comes back with bad news.
1. They don't have our date
2. They will not match the price
I almost fell off my chair.
Craig told us he could give us a deal on a Friday wedding (our date was a Saturday and he knew that) Then he tried to convince us to move our date from September to the winter which we didn't want.
We were shocked by his behavior and unprofessionalism.
We didn’t call him to try to get the price down. He called us. He said he would match their price for Saturday in September and we told him the price over the phone. He basically asked us to come in so he could bash the competition and then go back on his word that he would match the price.
Lombardi’s has a reputation that stands on its own. They don’t need such an unscrupulous person like Craig running their catering operation.

Apparently Craig has been with the Lombardi’s for the past 6 months. I don’t know if their operation has changed in the past 6 months but I would advise anyone thinking about booking with Lombardi’s to use caution and know what kind of a businessman you are going to be dealing with.

Re: Villa Lombardi's Nightmare

• edited December 2011
    Some banquet managers are just not good sales people. Quite frankly, most of them are worse than the worst used car salesman. Take the places for what they are and their reputation and reviews. If you are uncomfortable with the banquet manager, ask for their manager. DO NOT SETTLE! You will find some place wonderful to have your wedding on the date you've already chosen!
  • nicole1125nicole1125 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I have never been to Villa Lombardis but I have been to The East Wind and it was great! The food was good and the place it self was great, the hotel right there is also a plus and it is a really nice hotel.....hope that helps alittle GL :)
  • edited December 2011
    Im sorry that guy gave you the run around like he did.  Schlagetermari is right though, some of those banquet managers CAN be worse then used car salesman.  I know when me and my FI were looking at places we took into consideration how the people interacted in us.  You could tell whether they're really interested in delivering good service and making the day special for you, or if all they're thinking about is money.

If you haven't booked your venue yet check out Chateau La Mer.  I booked my May 2011 wedding with them and so far it's been nothing but a good experience.  Also all the reviews I've read on them were nothing but good.  If you do end up going to check it out they invite you to a free food tasting for you and 6 guests, which was awesome as well.

Good luck and again sorry about your bad experience!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would run far and fast from that place. What a jerk the banquet manager was. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

I'm getting married at East Wind in 3 weeks and I am in love with the staff, the place, the food, etc. Elizabeth and John have been SOOO helpful in this whole process, and I couldn't have asked for better people. They've bent over backwards to make this as easy and pleasant as possible. I cannot wait to get married there.

We shopped around, and really coudlnt' find a better price for what we're getting anywhere. Not to mention the beautiful grounds and hotel are such a great setting. Like pp said, DON'T SETTLE! I'm sure your wedding will be a wonderful day.
  • alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011
    you need to contact management with these issues. im sure that a place with a good as rep as VL doesn't want to have a person like this running their show.
    i suggest a letter to his manager or the owners directly.

• edited December 2011
    wow! sorry you had to deal with that. hope you ended up with what you really wanted!
    East Wind - absolutely fabulous! My husband's sis got married there and it was amazing. I saw on your list was Giorgio's. I got married there in June and I couldn't have asked for better service. If you are still in the process of looking - check it out!
    good luck!!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so surprised that you and your FI were treated that way at Villa Lombardi's. My FI and I will be having our wedding at Lombardi's on the Sound in 30 days and we have had a terrific experience with them. We have dealt with Charles Baker though. Everything has been smooth sailing so far and we are actually meeting them this weekend to finalize our menu. We feel that the price is great for what we are getting, however, the owner is one of my FI's patients. They have a good relationship so I am sure that helps. Good luck with your venue search
  • ministaraynaministarayna member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So sorry to hear that!!! I got married at East Wind in on July 8, 2010 and I had the most beautiful day I could dream of!!! Scott was my Maitre'D and he was the absolute best! The food was awesome, Elizabeth was fantastic and the day of my wedding was smooth and perfect! My guests are still talking about the food and the beautiful grounds.  We booked about 10 rooms in the hotel, had our rehearsal dinner at Desmond's on the Grounds and my day was perfect!! I hope you chose east wind!
    Mrs. Brown!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I would agree I dont like when they bash other places its not cool I have looked at so far a total of 19 places 2 of the Lombardies on that list I believe there prices are way to high the Lombardies on the bay is too small and the one on the sound has the bathrooms downstairs wich i found odd. I have been to East Wind it is def a beautiful place i had food there once it didnt wow me but it could have been an off day I really dislike people that are rude like that
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards