New York-Long Island

Would you pick the Chateau (Carle Place) or The Sands (Lido)?

Hi everyone,

I'm stuck.  I live in LA, I'm from NY, was just there for xmas, saw the Chateau and thought we liked it a lot, but now we're having second thoughts.  I'm kicking myself that I didn't see The Sands (although I've drove by it more times than I can count).  Our wedding would be March of 2013 and we're concerned with the Chateau's price tag for it to feel like such a cookie cutter wedding.  

I am by far a rookie (I'm still in the minors) - do you guys have any advice?  Have you seen either of these places before?  The Chateau felt very salesy, yet it felt like they knew what they were doing - is that a good thing?  Am I wrong for thinking it was a cookie cutter wedding (I totally could be).  We want somewhat of a unique wedding, does the venue determine that or is that vibe from the vendors?

Thanks so much!

Re: Would you pick the Chateau (Carle Place) or The Sands (Lido)?

• edited December 2011
    The things that go into the wedding (all of your choices) is what helps it become more unique. I am a vendor myself but was just a bride. I married my husband in front of 2 old-fashioned gas pumps in Maine on a piece of property where the guy collects old buildings. As a vendor I see many different choices made at weddings and each one is different. Now, ask me if they are unique and I may say no. What YOU put into your wedding will add to the unique flair. It is after all, about you as a couple, right? You should make all of your decisions. If you like a place and it appeals to you, then go for it. That is what we did. A lot of our family were like...huh? But, who cares. 

I should have been a planner I suppose and put the camera down. I just love it too much.

All the best for your wedding.

P.S. I just moved from LA to NY about 2 years ago. Where in LA do you live?
  • We live in North Hollywood right off of Magnolia (a few blocks from that big park).
  • oh, nice, i know exactly where that is. if you need some help with anything let me know (i know a lot of different people here). i lived in the valley for 3 years and hollywood for about 2 years.
  • I picked the Chateau!

I went to lots of different halls. Originally I didn't want to have my wedding in a catering hall, but after doing some research, I came to the conclusion that having a catering hall was both less expensive, and more organized than anything I would be able to put together. 

To be honest, all of the halls you are going to visit will have that "salesey" kind of vibe. They all have the same exact approach of touring the facility with you, and then sitting down and talking numbers. I feel that for what you pay, you get a lot. I like it that I can just show up to my wedding and that someone will have taken care of everything for me. I don't have the kind of time needed to organize something on my own, and I feel that even if I did, planning every tiny detail of the wedding would distract from actually being "present" on that day (I don't know if that makes sense to you, but it makes sense to me). When people find out the wedding is at the Chateau, they have nothing but wonderful things to say about their past experiences there. I'm very happy I picked it. I think it is elegant, but not frilly, and although I would have loved to have a shabby-chic wedding at a vineyard, I am completely convinced that I made the right choice. 

Congratulations and good luck to you!
  • Chateau is beautiful- and that newly done back patio/cabana/lounge area is AMAZING. I find the Sands to be much more antiquated. As well, the food at Chateau, while it is traditional catering food, is much better than the sands.
  • edited May 2012
    I have never been to the Sands recently but I did go to a prom there in 2000... not sure if anything has changed since then although I am pretty sure they got new management. To be honest, I drive past it almost every night and never see any cars there. There are cars during the day but I think that is beach cars. It might be very nice inside but I don't think it's so popular for weddings anymore. I'm not exactly sure how they stay in business honestly b/c I never see it being used other than for the beach.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards