Texas-Houston

Asking for a discount?

So, last week my grandmother passed away. She had Alzheimer's and has been sick for a while but she took a sudden turn for the worse and just didn't make it. I wanted to go to the funeral so I had to make the choice to dig into my dress income to help pay for my travel expenses to Western New York.

I know that a lot of people will disagree and say that I should not have done it, but it was my grandma, and my wedding date would have been my grandparent's 57th Anniversary.

So, what I need to know from you amazing ladies is have any of you asked for discounts on the price of your gowns? I am purchasing an Alfred Angelo gown and the consultant I was working with was very nice, but do you all think it would be worth my effort?

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
And now we are as one
Married February 20, 2011

Re: Asking for a discount?

• edited December 2011
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  :(  

You know, it never hurts to ask the question.  The worst thing they can say is "No."  Are you making payments on the dress??  If so, can you back out of it and see if you can find that same dress elsewhere cheaper?  
  • tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry about your grandmother.

If the dress hasn't been ordered yet, you can also check out Pearl's Place. The AA dress I wanted was $999,  but they had it for a little over $500. Go to www.pearlsplace.com to get their number and get a price quote. HTH
  • akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can also check out netbride. If you go ask for a price quote, they might have your dress and if they do they will definitely have it for much less expensive. 

If netbride doesn't have it, just make a call to your consultant and explain the situation. If she lets you have it at a discount, then great but the worst she can say is no and tell you to come back and order it at a later date and time. Also, if you were planning on purchasing your gown through a small, independent designer then I would say not to ask at all, but AA makes a ton of money off brides every year. 

Also, I have no idea who would say that you shouldn't have cut into your budget to go to your grandma's funeral because IMO you did the exact right thing for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_asking-discount?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:121Discussion:0b7245cd-1196-4f2c-b3ba-03f7ab3fb63ePost:b19d62ca-b4be-422a-8ad9-b0e27c7bb515">Asking for a discount?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, last week my grandmother passed away. She had Alzheimer's and has been sick for a while but she took a sudden turn for the worse and just didn't make it. I wanted to go to the funeral so I had to make the choice to dig into my dress income to help pay for my travel expenses to Western New York. <strong>I know that a lot of people will disagree and say that I should not have done it,</strong> but it was my grandma, and my wedding date would have been my grandparent's 57th Anniversary. So, what I need to know from you amazing ladies is have any of you asked for discounts on the price of your gowns? I am purchasing an Alfred Angelo gown and the consultant I was working with was very nice, but do you all think it would be worth my effort? Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
    Posted by PJS001[/QUOTE]

I think it is great that you did that and would wonder why someone would say you shouldnt. As far as the discount all you can do is ask. Better try then to wonder about it! I'm sure your grandmother is very proud of you.
  • lealfrantzlealfrantz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree. That was something you needed to do. You should not feel even a little guilty about dipping into your dress fund. Those moments with your family and that opportunity of saying goodbye can never be replaced. You needed that. A wedding dress is the most important dress you will ever wear, but the only reason it is important is because it is what you are wearing to marry the man you love. Any dress would be special because it was yours.

I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers. Good luck with the dress. The other ladies seemed to have some really great pieces of advice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_asking-discount?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:121Discussion:0b7245cd-1196-4f2c-b3ba-03f7ab3fb63ePost:f2c658f4-0dd6-4eb3-b438-2a2559ce30b5">Re: Asking for a discount?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree. That was something you needed to do. You should not feel even a little guilty about dipping into your dress fund. Those moments with your family and that opportunity of saying goodbye can never be replaced. You needed that. A wedding dress is the most important dress you will ever wear, but the only reason it is important is because it is what you are wearing to marry the man you love. Any dress would be special because it was yours. I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers. Good luck with the dress. The other ladies seemed to have some really great pieces of advice.
    Posted by lealfrantz[/QUOTE]

I agree....
    Anniversary Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Eboix518Eboix518 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    oh def don't feel guilty!
    It does not hurt to ask, we got tax knocked off of our decor/flowers because we paid in cash you can try that route
  • erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry about your Grandmothers passing. Family is number one. Never feel bad about going to a funeral. That is much more important then that few hundred dollars.

If they do not give you a discount and you have time still to order your dress you can wait a bit to see if they have a sale. I know they have wedding gown sales occasionally. If the discount is not possible ask when the next sale is. Good luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • akeptwoman26akeptwoman26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You have my condolences. I was going to go with an AA dress, but it was a toss up between Style 2117 and the Maggie Sottero dress. I actually ended up getting the Maggie Sottero dress at a better price than AA. AA don't offer a payment plan, and I don't think they will give you a discount. It's worth a try. If AA fall through try Panache Bridal off 1960. They have designer gowns as well as wedding gowns that has been discontinued starting at 299. I'm sure you would find something there you like. Last week they were running a special, if you ordered your gown then you get the veil and tiara free. She also worked my budget and was very helpful. I may purchase my shoes and jewerly from there also.

Hope this helps.

• PJS001PJS001 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Update:

They offered to sell me the sample, but seeing how I am a freak of nature, and tower in at a lovely 6'0" the sample isn't long enough. The lady that helped me recently had surgery, and wasn't there when I called. The lady I spoke with suggested that I wait for a sale, but I simply don't have that kind of time.

I called Pearl's Place as tyboyd suggested and the dress, with extra length, came in under my newly adjusted budget. So after reading copious amounts of reviews to calm my nerves about buying a dress over the phone, I made the purchase.

I want to personally thank everybody that offered me suggestions and left comments. These past weeks have been emotionally draining and I really needed the advice that you all were able to offer me.

Thank you soooo much.
    And now we are as one
    Married February 20, 2011

• akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't say I'm surprised by their attitude, but I am sorry to hear that. However, I am very happy for you that you got the dress you love, AND were able to go be with family! 
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sooo glad things worked out for you.  That's what we're here for - right everyone??!!
    Anniversary Trying to Conceive Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards