Texas-Houston

Traditional Wedding & Hindu Wedding - Ideas on How to Incorporate Both??

My fiance is Hindi and I'm not, and I want to be sure to blend both of our cultures into the wedding and reception.  I know we'll do the week of ceremonies prior to the big day, but I'm looking for any hints folks may have for dress, flowers, traditions - so that we are including both.  Targeting a fall wedding.  Thanks in advance!!! 

Lisa

Re: Traditional Wedding & Hindu Wedding - Ideas on How to Incorporate Both??

• I don't know a whole lot about Hindu weddings, but my DH is Persian and I'm not. We had an outdoor wedding, my Presbyterian pastor officiated, and our ceremony was mostly a traditional Protestant ceremony. We had a lot of Persian decorations for the ceremony, though, including a sofreh (not sure if Hindus have something equivalent - a table at the altar with lots of symbolic items), and we included a couple Persian traditions in our ceremony. (Like, instead of lighting unity candles, we dipped our pinkies and fed it to each other - it's an ancient Persian wedding ritual.) And we had family members read poems from Persian poets (poetry is a really big thing in Iran). During the reception, we served some little bite-sized Persian appetizers (which were a huge hit!), we played a mix of Persian and American music, and we served Persian cookies on our cake table. Hope that gives you some ideas!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards