Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Salt Covenant wording help

Has anyone ever done/seen/heard of a salt covenant? It's along the lines of a untiy candle or sand ceremony, but with a little bit of difference. The description of a salt convenant I read was "During ancient times, agreements and promises were sealed by a salt covenant. Each person would take a pinch of salt from their pouch and place it in the pouch of the other. This agreement could not be broken unless an individual could retrieve their own grains of salt." My fiance and I are really focusing on the commitment part of the wedding/marriage, so this seems perfect for us. 

I am beginning to write our ceremony (for a January 2013 wedding) and I am stumbling around this part. This is what I have so far:

JP says, "(Groom) and (Bride), you have sealed your relationship by the giving and receiving of rings. This covenant is a pledge between you as you commit to one another for the rest of your lives. Today, this agreement will be sealed through the exchanging of salt. 
In biblical times, salt was exchanged in a binding contract, symbolizing that the agreement was as irrevocable as trying to separate combined grains of salt. As you two exchange salt, you acknowledge that your union cannot be broken, as you can never retrieve your own grains of salt."
(Groom) and (Bride) exchange pinches of salt. 

I think it is an okay start, but not perfect. For example, using the word "sealed" twice so close together. I was thinking we would do it after exchanging rings, and right before being pronounced/kissing, since that seems most logical to me, like this is the ... for lack of a better word, seal on the whole marrying/combining/becoming a married couple part of the ceremony. Can anybody think of a way to word it better?

Thanks for any help!

White Knot
Wedding Countdown Ticker
157 invitedimage
118 accept with pleasureimage
35 decline with regretsimage
4 are driving me crazyimage
RSVP Date: December 15th

Re: Salt Covenant wording help

• Options
    I really love this idea!

Would it defeat the purpose if your grains of salt were different colors (ie. yours is pink and his is blue)? ...then I guess it'd technically be easier to retrieve (not that either of you are going to try to lol)...just wondering from a aesthetic point of view...

I'm looking for cool ceremony ideas and this one is def. up there!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_salt-covenant-wording-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:58b98db1-3ee8-4ebf-873f-9031ffda898aPost:d3ddb819-cb73-460b-afa0-6d97e972bc96">Salt Covenant wording help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone ever done/seen/heard of a salt covenant? It's along the lines of a untiy candle or sand ceremony, but with a little bit of difference. The description of a salt convenant I read was "During ancient times, agreements and promises were sealed by a salt covenant. Each person would take a pinch of salt from their pouch and place it in the pouch of the other. This agreement could not be broken unless an individual could retrieve their own grains of salt." My fiance and I are really focusing on the commitment part of the wedding/marriage, so this seems perfect for us.  I am beginning to write our ceremony (for a January 2013 wedding) and I am stumbling around this part. This is what I have so far: JP says, "(Groom) and (Bride), you have sealed your relationship by the giving and receiving of rings. This covenant is a pledge between you as you commit to one another for the rest of your lives. Today, this agreement will be sealed through the exchanging of salt.  In biblical times, salt was exchanged in a binding contract, symbolizing that the agreement was as irrevocable as trying to separate combined grains of salt. As you two exchange salt, you acknowledge that your union cannot be broken, as you can never retrieve your own grains of salt." (Groom) and (Bride) exchange pinches of salt.  I think it is an okay start, but not perfect. For example, using the word "sealed" twice so close together. I was thinking we would do it after exchanging rings, and right before being pronounced/kissing, since that seems most logical to me, like this is the ... for lack of a better word, seal on the whole marrying/combining/becoming a married couple part of the ceremony. Can anybody think of a way to word it better? Thanks for any help!
    Posted by abbiecorwin[/QUOTE]

How's this:
    <span style="line-height:200%;color:#1f1f1f;"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">"(Groom) and (Bride), you have committed to your relationship by the giving and receiving of rings. That covenant is a pledge between you both as you commit to one another for the rest of your lives. This exchange of salts will embody the strength that your marriage will hold, by combining your lives together you will be as tough to separate as these grains of salt. Your agreement here today symbolizes the irreversible contract your union represents and it shall not be divided. (Groom) and (Bride) exchange pinches of salt.</font></span><span style="line-height:200%;"></span>
  • Options
    I personally love this! Most of the research I have done on this was all biblical base. Being that we are having a non-denominational wedding, this is perfect to be able to add the salt covenant to our wedding while keeping our ceremony the way we like. Perfectly written!
  • Options
    This thread is over two years old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards