Texas-Houston

Money Tree

Has anyone done a money tree at a wedding or have been to a wedding with a money tree? My fiance and I would like to do a money tree at our wedding, but I don't know very much about them. Any thoughts are welcome.

Re: Money Tree

• loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You really shouldn't ask for money at wedding reception, it goes against wedding etiquette. With that said, if you insist, here is the info:

A money tree is a centerpiece, guests can clip cash onto a tree. They are made from real wood or wire. Paperclips and pins are used to decorate the tree so that cash is easily attached. You can use a vase (add sand or rocks at bottom so it won't topple over) and you can use dogwood for the branches.

• STBMrsMartinSTBMrsMartin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I never heard about the money tree, but a less tackless way would be doing a dollar dance/honeymoon dance. So at least you interact with your guest a little bit. I have been to several weddings who did this and it was fun.
    Photobucket
    Our little miracle, Jett.
    Planning Bio,
    My Blog
  • REB1003REB1003 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They probably spent what money they intended to on the gift... so asking for more money is kind of eh.. if i saw one.. i would be like well i just bought a gift so i will skip that... 

Life as a Cooking Wife!:
    http://cookinbloom.blogspot.com/ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ib4eplzib4eplz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if people can clip money on, can they unclip money off?
  • edited December 2011
    if you want to have this type of thing but don't really care about the money, you have a wishing tree. my mom cut some boughs from a tree the day before our wedding and made bookmark-sized pieces of paper with ribbons, so guests could write wishes on the paper and hang it on the boughs. By the end of the wedding, it was all decorated with well-wishes from our loved ones, which will last a lot longer than money.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_money-tree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:121Discussion:49f2ac1a-2747-46d8-b495-cf0600c2e368Post:ec8ca133-672d-49e5-950b-1be7d2a4a3fd">Re: Money Tree</a>:
    [QUOTE]if you want to have this type of thing but don't really care about the money, you have a wishing tree. my mom cut some boughs from a tree the day before our wedding and made bookmark-sized pieces of paper with ribbons, so guests could write wishes on the paper and hang it on the boughs. By the end of the wedding, it was all decorated with well-wishes from our loved ones, which will last a lot longer than money.
    Posted by lewisc2002@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]

That's a really cute idea it can even act as a guestbook. I agree with pp. You shouldn't be hitting people up for more money at your wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Money Tree= Tacky!  I just dont see how you could hit people up for money over and over.
    I feel the same way about dollar dances, but I understand they are very popular in some groups of people, and is sometimes one of those traditions that some families/guests get upset about not having.
    Photobucket
  • ccrabtree02ccrabtree02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay....we did a dollar dance and I can sum it up in one word :awkward.  We did it towards the end of the night when most of the guests had gone home and I was embarrassed.  No one cam up.  It was pretty sad.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards