Texas-Houston

Huntsville State Park

I know it's a long way away from a lot of you but does anyone know anything about their reception site?  I've seen a couple of pictures but their website doesn't have a lot of info.  I'm not even sure who I would contact about it.

Does anyone have any experience with it?  Any ballpark idea how much they charge?

Thanks for the help!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Huntsville State Park

• loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might want to check how close the prison is from it.......kinda creepy. My brother went camping there and said the prison was close to it, not exactly a 'wedding' type of place...
  • PJS001PJS001 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a Master's student at Sam Houston State and have lived in Huntsville for the past five years. The prisons are not an issue at all if that is a worry. Plus coming from Houston you don't drive past any of them on the way to the state park, so please don't think that is an issue.

Also, I am from Houston and am completely comfortable in this city. It is safe. Don't let people freak you out. Promise.

The state park is pretty, and the lodge is right on the lake that is part of the park. It costs 250.00 for all day rental (7am-10pm) and then 1.00 per person that enters the park for your event. There are seperate male and female restrooms (with multiple stalls) inside of the lodge. It has central air-conditioning and a FULL kitchen with a serving bar.

How many people were you planning on inviting?

Also, Snaptacular Photos had a wedding out there a while ago, I will post the link of the photos. Hope that helps, and shoot me an email if you have anymore questions. PJS001(at)shsu.edu

http://www.snaptacularphotos.com/blog/?p=284

And now we are as one
    Married February 20, 2011

• lec008lec008 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Loop, I live in Huntsville so am completely familiar with the area.  The state park is a good distance away from the prisons so it won't be a concern.

PJS, thanks for the info.  We are looking at about 100 guests I think.  Do you know if they offer catering or anything or do you have to bring in all outside vendors?

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • icekitty37icekitty37 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was canoeing out there once and a wedding was going on. it was like 11 or 12  in the afternoon and the middle of August. Those poooor guests were frying with the outdoor ceremony. The indoor space for reception is a good size too. Not too big or small and it has the rustic look! 

I've spent a good amount of time in that park and believe it could be a very nice, serene wedding venue given the right time of year.
  • PJS001PJS001 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They do not do any kind of catering, so you would have to bring in all outside vendors.

I think that 100 people is do-able. The lodge has a capacity of 250 so I think 100 should be fine.
    And now we are as one
    Married February 20, 2011

• edited December 2011
    DO NOT worry about the prison, they're not even close. I went camping there several years ago and always felt very safe. my sister lives there now.

but then again, there's a prison just a couple miles from my high school, so I've grown up around them. generally, prisons are pretty safe to be around.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • edited December 2011
    Hey ladies!

It's Jessica from Snaptacular Photos. I noticed some traffic coming to our site from this post and thought I'd stop by to give you our professional (and personal) opinion on the Ravens Lodge!

You can probably tell from our blog that we really enjoyed the Lodge. It was right on the water and totally beautiful. It was absolutely perfect for Beth and Sam's laid back wedding. The Lodge is also great because you can bring in everything on your own-musicians, food, etc. We want to go back and hang out at the park! It's a really neat place.

The layout: There is a full kitchen and bar in the entrance, and restrooms off to the side. Beth got ready in the powder area of the ladies room and that worked out great. There is a large patio just beyond the bar room. The patio looks out on the lake, and that's where they had the ceremony. Next to the patio (and connected to the bar room) is the hall of the lodge, where they had the reception. There are lots of beautiful windows and high ceilings. Beth and Sam had about 4 long tables coming out longways from both sides of the hall, with dancing, cake, etc. taking place at the end near the entrance to the bar room. They didn't have a DJ, but there's room for one in that area as well. If I remember right, it's connected to the kitchen. We put our photobooth in the back of the hall next to the large window overlooking the water.

As I said, this is a great location and I recommend it without hesitation for the right wedding. Beth and Sam were really happy with it! But there are some drawbacks, specifically for large or summer weddings that should definitely be noted:

-The capacity of 250 is not realistic in the summertime (or winter) when everything has to be inside. Anything under 100 would be best. Beth and Sam had close to 100, and it was a little cramped. There are two main rooms, but they will generally only be used one at a time and you can not fit that many people in each room at once.
    -Do not count on being able to go outside! Beth and Sam were married in July without a cloud in the sky. I got sunburned and a bridesmaid passed out during the ceremony. It was HOT! The guests also had to sit under tents, which really took away from the beauty of the patio and lake.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, please email me at jessica@snaptacularphotos.com and I'll be happy to let you know what I think!

Jessica Merritt
    Snaptacular Photos
    http://www.snaptacularphotos.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards