Texas-Houston

Any Recommendations for Geeky Wedding Venues in Houston Area?

Hi Everyone!

My fiance and I are both geeks. (He's a computer engineer and I'm a biology professor.) We're hoping to get married in Houston since that's his hometown, but I'm not too familiar with the area. Does anyone have any recommendations for wedding venues with a geeky theme to them that can handle ~150 guests and won't break the bank?

We originally looked at the new Paleo Hall at the Houston Museum of Natural Science, but they wanted $5000 for the venue plus you have to use their *expensive* caterers. So, unfortunately, that one was a no-go.

Thanks!
-Para

Re: Any Recommendations for Geeky Wedding Venues in Houston Area?

• Let me clarify that I'm looking for serious recommendations. Trolls can go back under their bridges.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_any-recommendations-for-geeky-wedding-venues-in-houston-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:121Discussion:872e2431-0bf2-42c9-b8e3-6b3cdaf8547fPost:9b1a2927-db31-4920-a626-0a4a9a87eebc">Re:Any Recommendations for Geeky Wedding Venues in Houston Area?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have the perfect venue for you and I hear it's free. Visitors Center Downtown Houston. Call and double check. visithoustontexas.com I'm not sure how many people it can hold.
    Posted by kbaltazar13[/QUOTE]
  • I have some ideas, but they're not necessarily "nerdy".  But I'm guessing you're looking for something more unique, unexpected.

Houston arboretum has an indoor venue for receptions.  I hear they're very affordable.

Majestic Metro has the movie theater feel to it--good for movie nerds!  Not a cheap rental fee, but you can bring your own food and booze.

Houston zoo does both indoor and outdoor weddings.  For 150, I think it'd have to be outside.  I'm not sure about pricing

Nouveu Antique Art bar is kind of funky.  Not nerdy, but unique.

Houston Aquarium

If you're a beer fan, you can rent out the St. Arnold's brewery

Good luck!

SaveSave
  • Thanks for the recommendations, monkeysip! A few of these were on our list to check out, but there's a couple new ones. We're going to check out the aquarium, but they are expensive ($14K minimum catering, etc.).
  • Trolls can go back under their bridges? Serious? Sounds kind of rude, considering someone was just trying to give you a recommendation.

Here are a few more recommendations:
    Gallery M Squared
    The Heritage Society
    The Grand Lobby of the Wortham Center
    The Clayton House, part of The Clayton Library

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_any-recommendations-for-geeky-wedding-venues-in-houston-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:121Discussion:872e2431-0bf2-42c9-b8e3-6b3cdaf8547fPost:37f0ef12-e099-4092-b932-b987be07d5e6">Re:Any Recommendations for Geeky Wedding Venues in Houston Area?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let me clarify that I'm looking for serious recommendations. Trolls can go back under their bridges. In Response to Re:Any Recommendations for Geeky Wedding Venues in Houston Area? :
    Posted by parathalyn[/QUOTE]
  • Hey!  Not sure if you're willing to see venues slightly outside of Houston, but there's a darling place in Pasadena called the Silver Sycamore.  I'm getting married there for under $2k.  They provide bride's cake, catering, etc.  There's an open house on August 5th that I'll be attending for more details.  The venue is country/shabby chic::   http://silversycamore.com/ 

I hope that helps.  I'll send more ideas your way if I find them, especially some geeky style venues.  Tongue Out

~Roxy

• Para, I'm looking for venues for a geek wedding too, and not finding TOO terribly much either. The place I've found that I like best so far is Bridge Water Events, in Baytown. They're not geeky, but they're cheap and I'm thinking the look of the place could lend itself to steampunk.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards