Texas-Houston

The Grove and Hotel Derek

Sorry to be such a PW :) Does anyone have any information on either of these? I found the catering menu for The Grove, but not what the minimum was and I am trying to get an idea of a range. Hotel Derek hasn't responded to my email and I loathe doing pricing via the phone. Any thoughts, ideas, feedback is appreciated! :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: The Grove and Hotel Derek

• monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I have no info for you, but just wanted to second your request for the Grove's minimums.  

The Grove is our first choice for reception venues.

SaveSave
  • Serendipty11Serendipty11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I called The Grove and got hung up on. Good times.
    edited December 2011
    Oh my!  You think it was an accident or some rude employee?

SaveSave
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay news on The Grove. The catering manager called me back and was super sweet. Food and beverage minimum for daytime is $4k and evening is $8,500. If you meet the minimum there is no additional fee to also hold your ceremony at the Treehouse, woo hoo!

Has anyone here ever gotten married or had their reception there on this board that we know of? I am really thinking of this as an option for daytime....
  • edited December 2011
    During my venue hunting I found it helpful to stalk photography blogs and see how brides set up their weddings.  Here's one for The Grove:   http://www.serendipity-photography.com/2011/09/09/magnolia-hotel-the-grove-houston-wedding-photography/

absoutely beautiful...
    edited December 2011
    Wow.... those are great pics!  It looks lovely!

On a side note, I love the bride's wedding dress.

Also, I ate at the Grove the other night for the first time.  

I got the rotisserie chicken w/ roasted potatoes and it was pretty good.  Not insanely amazing, but good.  

Caesar salad was delicious.  The margarita (just a simple margarita) was DELICIOUS.  
    FI got the skirt steak, which was okay.  Little strange, but not bad.

Overall, if that's how the food at the weddings there taste, then I'd be satisfied.  I've always felt like wedding food was pretty terrible (just from my experience--never been to a reception at a restaurant, always hotels/banquet halls).  So, my expectations aren't that the food will be crazy awesome gourmet.  Just well cooked and moderately tasty.

SaveSave
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking of going to dinner there tonight to get another look at it. I'm just really torn on having a daytime wedding/reception. From a photography standpoint it would be ideal, but I wonder if people coming from out of town will feel cheated by having a lunch and then being done by 4. Decisions decisions..

No word back from Hotel Derek after 3 calls.
  • icekitty37icekitty37 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I attended a wedding at the Grove last month. I must say that the ceremony on the patio was a little noisy due to the events going on RIGHT next door at Discovery Green. The reception was fantastic though and the food was very good! It was a decent sized room, but was able to hold quite a bit of people. 

As far as your wanting to know if day or night is ideal, I myself had a 12 noon wedding and the reception ended at 5:30. This split so much of our cost in HALF on the venue /catering and even the DJ because they were basically able to "double book" the day for an early and late event! For friends and family out of town, my parents held a get together back at the house because everyone had not seen each other in a while. I would recommend it if you are worried about budget!
  • FullwedFullwed member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel in love with the Grove.  There are so many different types of set ups for both the ceremony & the reception.  Your creativity can run wild at this venue.  I saw various set ups because my coordinator showed me floorplans & pictures of various weddings she has done there.  I think day or night, either would be a wonderful & special setting!
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't been to a wedding at either location but I organized a client reception dinner at Hotel Derek and can give you my experience.

I used the Bravo room which holds 200 comfortably. A good sales manager to contact is Ovit. He is really good at calling back in a timely manor. The catering manager on duty made sure I was satisfied with everything. I could not complain about the service. One downside is the Galleria traffic, it can get hectic. 

My dinner was on a Thursday evening with around 120 people. Our final bill was high because we paid for open bar, bottle service, and valet. But I think you could get a great deal if you negotiate. The food was pretty good but not the best.

The outside foyer area is a great setup for a cocktail hour.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • over 2 weeks later, several emails and 3 calls and no call back or return email from Hotel Derek. Hmm...
  • Try asking for Tanya.  That's who's assisting me.  She's been very good and replying to emails.o
  • Also, they did not give me a minimum, just stated they are willing to work with your budget.

• Thanks for the tip!
  • who was your event coordinator? I would like to have my wedding at the grove and is looking for help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards