Texas-Houston

Wedding/Reception or Anniversary Party

Hi Ladies, I need some advice and suggestions...
My hubby and I will celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary as well as 10 years of being together in April.  We were married by a JP, however I'm really wanting a wedding and reception or elaborate Anniversary party.

If you were in my position, would you have a wedding/reception or just have an anniversary party to celebrate?

Thanks in advance and congrats to you all.

Re: Wedding/Reception or Anniversary Party

• edited December 2011
    I think an anniversary party is more appropriate since you guys technically had your wedding already. JP or not, it was still your wedding, and as a guest, I'd be really confused if I went to your event and you guys did the whole walk down the aisle, best man/MOH speech, bouquet toss, etc.
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In my opinion, I would do the wedding and walk down the aisle. The JOP is not considered a 'wedding', it's making your union legal. I would throw the party and have your 'day'
  • edited December 2011
    whichever you feel is right for you...

tho i wouldnt call it a "wedding" persay...more like...a vow renewal...and have the whole wedding like ceremony! that'd be cool
    Becca & Justin - 5/16/09 - Planning Bio My Blog(updated 3/12)

• edited December 2011
    You should do a vow renewal ceremony. It's a wedding and a celebration of your marriage in the end anyway!!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers *We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
  • MrsBoochieMrsBoochie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I’m definitely leaning more towards the vow renewal and reception.  Either way, if we had an anniversary party that would still be reception like, so renewing our vows before our family and friends would just be an added bonus.

Thanks ladies.  Now I’m off to plan a vow renewal in less than 6 months. J

• sweet__peasweet__pea member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!  I know I'm late in the game, but I wanted to recommend a vow renewal as well. I think every woman is entitled to having "her day"!  JoP service is NOT a wedding, as a PP said, it's a formality of union.

You can have your vow renewal and still walk down the aisle, buy the perfect dress and have the perfect reception!  :)
  • edited December 2011
    If you call it a vow renewal and have a reception, then yes, I think the whole party will be nice and fun for family and friends, white dress and all. I was just commenting that I didn't think you should call it a wedding.

And even though there are folks saying that a JoP wedding is NOT a wedding, it is very much so. There are tons of people in this nation fighting for the right to even go to a JoP and get married and legally cannot. There are also brides who choose to have a JoP wedding as their wedding and call it their wedding and I think it's disrespectful to say that just because they didn't have the huge party and dress and all, that they didn't have a wedding. A wedding is the union of the marriage between 2 people, simple as that.

My 2 cents for what theyre worth. Probably not much on a community board :-P

Congrats on 5 years of marriage and 10 years of togetherness by the way. I'm positive your event will be memorable and amazing!
  • asallenasallen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you tranjuliet for that. I'm having a JOP wedding and I'm calling it a wedding. Thanks for defending it.
    Oh and I also agree with everyone else, vow renewal, reception!
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, I just went Wikipedia on this:  here's how it defines a wedding: 

A wedding is the ceremony in which two people are united in marriage or a similar institution.

So, to support JP unions - yes it would fall under the above definition.....

As for the question at hand:  go for the vow renewal and reception.  Many people are doing that these days - they'll get married either in a pastor's office or JP, then renew their vows/give an anniversary reception later when they can afford it.
    Anniversary Trying to Conceive Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards