Texas-Houston

Bridesmaid Dresses

So, I went looking for Bridesmaid dresses last weekend and know I am confused and concerned.  My bridesmaids range in every size, shape and height.  I want everyone in the wedding party to look good so I am trying to find something that would compliment everyone.  I have also been looking at Two Birds Bridesmaid dresses and a dress from the Dessy collection that is similar and much cheaper.  Any ideas and/or thoughts would be helpful.  Thanks Ladies!!

Re: Bridesmaid Dresses

• lmmckenna18lmmckenna18 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I let my bridesmaids decide on their dresses. I told them they could all wear different dresses that fits each ones body or if they found one that looked good on everyone they could wear the same dress. They ended up wearing the same dress and even though most of them have completely different body types it worked on all six of them.

My SIL is getting married in October and told us we can pick any dress from David's Bridal. that is long, satin, and the Truffle color.
  • edited December 2011

I told my bridesmaids they could pick whatever dress they wanted as long as it was right about the knee and black. One BM found a dress at alfred angelo, my other BMs ended up getting the same thing! and they are all different ages and sizes.

• MissAngelMissAngel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did the same thing.  I had told them to work together and pick one and I just wanted to be a fuchsia color, above the knee, and all the same.  I have 4 bridesmaids and 2 of them are my sisters.  I don't know if it's because they all had strong opinions or what, but it was a nightmare.  I got all kinds of suggestions that were either not above the knee or didn't even come in fuchsia.  I was pretty irritated and urged them to work together because they were going to be wearing the dress.  Anyways, I ended up having to pick a few and having them all try them on and to decide on one.  Thank goodness my mom is a seamstress and can fix them individually.

In hindsight, since I have girls with different shapes, I would have just picked a color and tell them each to choose a different dress.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm letting mine pick whatever floor-length black gown they want.  No one style of dress looks good on all body types.  Maybe let your ladies have some freedom in their choice?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • kbates85kbates85 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Try Nordstoms! That's where I found my BM dresses. They make it really easy to sort by size, length, color, ect. The dress I chose was $158 and they have dresses under $100. Not to mention their dress actaully are wear again-able.

Side note, my BMs range in size from a 4 to a 24.

PS - Here's a link to the dress that I chose:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3097617/0~2376776~2374325~6007518?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6007518&P=3
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ccrabtree02ccrabtree02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had been planning my wedding for a long time with a certain dress picked out from davids bridal in pool blue.  My wedding was May 15th and we went to try on the dresses in late January- I thought no problems I already knew what I wanted.  We get there and the dresses looked horrible on the girls.  One of the bridesmaids ended up finding a dress there on clearance that was absolutely perfect and changed the entire color scheme of my wedding.  They all got the same dress cause they all loved it when they tried it on.  I know the trend is to let the girls pick but they all knew I liked that particular dress and they all loved it too.  But honestly, if they had told me they didn't like it I probably would have made them wear it anyway because I immediately fell in love with that dress..almost as much as my bridal gown.  I am jealous now cause they all have that dress and I don't.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think if your okay with it, give them the color it needs to be and the length or what not, and let them pick out the dress. maybe have a certain store they have to go to so you know its all the same color. :)
    xoxo, Jennifer
  • edited December 2011
    try J. Crew. they have bridesmaid dresses that are a lot easier to wear later (they don't look like "bridesmaid" dresses), and you can get different styles while knowing they have the same color.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • edited December 2011
    i 2nd j.crew. that what i picked for my BM's and they loved their dresses and have reworn them several times already!
  • jobie02jobie02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine were from ariadress.com and what I liked about this vendor was that you can use the same fabric and get a variety of dress styles or change the skirt and have the tops the same, etc.  They were $195 each, but we got a discount for ordering so many of 10%.  Also, they will ship you a sample for $15 so you can try them on and gauge how they look.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards